What's new
What's new

One More Time - Caliper Recommendations

I just picked up a higher end Fowler caliper which is a rebranded Sylvac. So far it appears to be nicely made, well balanced and exceptionally accurate. Second choice would have been Mitutoyo.

Counterfeits. But some say that quality of these is reasonably good.

How many digits in the inch mode and what battery actually came with the caliper?

edit: seems like 4th digit size in inch mode is not valid indication of genuine mitutoyo anymore. Chinese copies come now with identical display to real Mitutoyo.
(same size of numbers and inch indicator on right side of the display)
This one has display just like real Mitutoyo even if its not Mitutoyo branded: 200mm/8'' 500-196-20/30 Vernier Caliper LCD Absolute Digital Digimatic Gauge | eBay

Buy something from a crook or buy from an outfit that puts its reputation on the line with each sold.
Likely all the $25 to $45 ones are just as good and likely better than from a crook..IMHO.

I don't have the years of use that most other guys do, but my favorite calipers that I use in our shop are the standard 6" Mitutoyo. I happen to have the blue faced version with white numbers and divisions. Available in other colors including standard white/black. Real ones are somewhere around the $100 mark (colors usually cost extra) from reputable sources.

I let new shop users or students in my class use some $13 amazon specials. That way if they get damaged I don't have second thoughts about just tossing them. As long as they aren't abused, they work well for the tolerances that we work with. But if i'm doing anything to within 2 thou, I will grab a Mitutoyo set so I don't have to wonder if my measurement was good. Though I have made good parts well within 2 thou using the cheapies.

I personally prefer to use dial calipers rather than digital. We have a wide variety of Mitutoyo digital calipers including several 6" dial, 6" digital, 8" coolant proof digital, 12" coolant proof digital, and 12" dial. I just hate having to change batteries and rely on electronics for a tool that doesn't gain functionality from it, even though my degree is in electrical engineering. Anything that can be mechanical within reason, should be mechanical. All of our manual machines read in inches, so converting the rare metric drawing to inches is already required.

Buy something from a crook or buy from an outfit that puts its reputation on the line with each sold.
Likely all the $25 to $45 ones are just as good and likely better than from a crook..IMHO.

Pardon?
There is no reputable seller for the 25-45 usd mitutoyos, only crooks.

Ebay seller mentioned by "Marty Feldman" is typical hit and run ebay crook with burner account:
-sells random junk (do you buy calipers normally from same seller that sells Halloween Wigs, Sloth Plush Animals, Anime hugging body pillows, "Anime sexy naked hentai bathing big breasts lady girl" :D and Chinese beads?
-fresh ebay account with only small number of feedback

Even the "more reputable" ebay sellers from China know better not to get involved with these fake mitutoyos. I'd be curious to know how bad or good these are at the moment but I'm not willing to spend 40 bucks just to satisfy my curiosity.

my go to caliper is the one i got at aldi for $10. its as precise as any of the mitutoyos and tesas and the battery lasts forever, even if left on overnight. i figure if i damage it the loss is small, so i use it all the time. besides it has a larger display than any of the others.

I don't know if it's still the case but Insize (Chinese) were very unpopular with other manufacturers because they used "dumping prices" to get into markets. I've seen Insize often at exhibitions but have never bought or used any of their products so I can't comment on their quality.

Like you then I think Mitutoyo are good but not my favourite.

What would your favorite be if not a Mitutoyo? Is it a case of just choosing a unknown and upcoming calipers to show up the best most popular choice?

I doubt you or anyone else can find a maker who could rival the quality and ease of use with the Mitutoyo along with their quality of service and warrantee.

That usually is not widely known amount Chinese makers of course I could be mistaken or if you wish you might consider me wrong.

New emploies first. New calipers second.

If not that, then just get a half dozen HF calipers and a box of batteries there. Toss them out when they are damaged. You will be dollars ahead quickly. And keep the mikes locked up, for your own use only.

Back