What's new
What's new

One vs two touch probe cycles

Most definitely this is using a high speed skip (or equivalent tech on other controls). You need a very high precision reading of the axis location when the touch happens.

The other cool thing that Blum do is keep the axis locked on all touches. This is clever, because assuming that your probe tip is round (not too hard to ensure), then any runout is simply reduced to a static offset in X and Y. Just some maths at that last minute (think about that for a moment if it's not obvious)

I will ponder the comment about needing a bigger cal ring. It's not immediately obvious to me why the size of the calibration surface has any bearing on accuracy, as long as the size is significantly greater than the probe tip. So if you are using huge disk probes (say for undercuts) then you need a much larger cal ring than if you use a tiny 2mm tip.

I will ponder the comment about needing a bigger cal ring. It's not immediately obvious to me why the size of the calibration surface has any bearing on accuracy, as long as the size is significantly greater than the probe tip. So if you are using huge disk probes (say for undercuts) then you need a much larger cal ring than if you use a tiny 2mm tip.
I first tried it on the advice from our Renishaw tech that would come to the plant and do more advanced probe training. We found after trying it our probes where more accurate and our parts where much more consistent.

Possibly on a Renishaw which wobbles the probe around? or on a slower machine which struggled to accelerate? Or settling time for the probe?

I can't think of a theoretical reason why it should affect the Blum macros and their single touch on a fast accelerating machine like the Brother? You will use a different bit of ballscrew I guess?

Possibly on a Renishaw which wobbles the probe around? or on a slower machine which struggled to accelerate? Or settling time for the probe?

I can't think of a theoretical reason why it should affect the Blum macros and their single touch on a fast accelerating machine like the Brother? You will use a different bit of ballscrew I guess?
It comes down to travel on the ballscrew from what he told us. It well not affect a more accurate machine as much, but these was old haas vf3's that ground hardened ceramic so they took a beating.

Back