What's new
What's new

Orange Vise Length for Tormach 770

FirstAscent

Plastic
Hey everyone!

New here and new to CNC, so hello!

I’m looking at the Orange dual station vise but am unsure the max size I could use if mounted in the Y direction?
My options are a 16”, 17.5”, 20” and 22” (I imagine anything larger would be too large).

I have a 770MX coming but it’ll be a bit longer so I can’t take any accurate measurements but I know plenty of you have them :)

Side note, I’m a huge fan of Orange Vise and have a custom colored bench vise from them, they’re a work of art!
Here’s my bench vise for fun ;)

Attachments

• 4C4781C2-C51E-4E95-8AF2-6F9F22C83811.jpeg
    4C4781C2-C51E-4E95-8AF2-6F9F22C83811.jpeg
    488.2 KB · Views: 54
Do you think the 770 could handle the inertia weight of a large vise?

Dave
Good point… yes? I have seen photos/vids of others with them, but of course that doesn’t mean it’s ”ok”.

the tormach says max weight on table is 500 lbs so from that it seems suitable.

You might want to Google threads about Tormach on this site, you'll see they don't have much respect here.
Bob
Thanks, I can understand that and completely understand there are MUCH better machines out there, and do believe you get what you pay for with most things.
I felt the Tormach was suitable for my specific situation on the counts of:
- I wanted something new/newer
- Space is limited
- It has to run on 120v single phase
- This isn’t my day job and more for small prototypes mainly aluminum
- this is better than having no CNC at all

500 lbs is half the weight of the machine. Not a good ratio for stability.

Dave
True, although that’s what the specs said, I don’t ever see the need for working with heavy parts, it’s all small aluminum parts so would not be coming close to that. A vise would by far be the heaviest “part”.

Lengthwise, the 20" model with two c'bored base plugs provides the best solution. Bolts directly to the center T-slot.

The 12" and 9" Deltas can be mounted in the traditional orientation. Less money and more clamping stations.

Thanks everyone for the tips/info. I ordered up a 12" Delta Self Centering vise with the dual station conversion. Since I'm mostly working with smaller parts this will give me the most flexibility to start with I think. Then later on, if needed I can get another Delta.

But for now, this will be more than enough for my needs.

Back