What's new
What's new

OT Another Super Duty Thread

With a nice set of wheels and tires, the brown F250 would be SHARP!

We have became an attention deficit disorder-afflicted, in-a-hurry, half-ass-driving society. The introduction of the smart phone in the mid-2000's has greatly accelerated this trend!

ToolCat

Jermfab, my condolences on the damage to a very clean truck.

It appears the 7.3 diesel truck is a DRW converted to SRW. Doesn't matter, just an observation. The 7.3 diesel is an E4OD transmission with different bellhousing than the 460 gas. You would have to change the both the engine and trans- easier to replace as coupled units anyways.

Despite that I'm in the camp of the above. Fix the rocker/B-pillar/cab floor of the white truck. I did the cab corners/rockers/A pillar on my '96 F350 DRW. A-pillar was due to the PO backing it out of his garage with the driver door open and peeling it backwards. Getting that door to close properly again has been a exercise in futility. PITA but these trucks are easy to do body work on.

Pick up truck chassis on the OBS is 34" frame rail to rail. Cab and chassis is 30" IIRC. Now for your actual question: ZF5 transmission has a different bellhousing from 460 BB to 7.3 diesel. Different internals too. I have both a 7.3 powerstroke E4OD extended cab DRW and an IDI 7.3 ZF5 crew cab DRW. Frames are different- your EC frame rail will kick up earlier than the CC. Don't screw with grafting different bodies onto it.

With a nice set of wheels and tires, the brown F250 would be SHARP!

ToolCat

The wheels don't even need to be that nice. My Gramps had an F150 in that color scheme, and
it was sharp. The wheels were steel with a center cap and a trim ring if I remember right.
Didn't take much to make the truck look complete. Just not grey steelies.

And a 3" lift. The 80's and early 90's they just always look that little bit too low,
especially when they are long.

I wouldn't even bother taking it to court if all you have are facts and evidence and the other party has the Big Gun.

who hit who? looks like you got hit by the other driver.

So their insurance will pay you to have it fixed.

So just get it fixed.

I think you are more interested in modifying the truck you don't like than just getting it done right.

The wheels don't even need to be that nice. My Gramps had an F150 in that color scheme, and
it was sharp. The wheels were steel with a center cap and a trim ring if I remember right.
Didn't take much to make the truck look complete. Just not grey steelies.

And a 3" lift. The 80's and early 90's they just always look that little bit too low,
especially when they are long.

I hate jacked up trucks, I'd lower it, put it in the weeds! no ladder required to get in!

I would have my body guy fix the white truck and pick it up when its done... Looks very fixable. Cab swaps aren't terrible but its a lot more fucking around than dropping it off and picking it up when its done.

I hate jacked up trucks, I'd lower it, put it in the weeds! no ladder required to get in!

80's and 90's Ford pickups is almost like getting in a mini van. Even if that truck got a 3 or 4" lift,
it would still probably be 4" shorter than a new 4wd F250. The new ones are stupid tall, and a pain in
the ass to get into. My Dad brought his home, and went back to the dealer the next day to order the
side steps, and its still a pain to get in.

Now the bed height, that's a consideration. I like to be able to reach into the bed, I don't like
it when the side of the bed is at my chin.

Honestly, I’m not exactly sure what happened. I know my side of things: I was merging into the turning lane, I had my turn signals on and had been checking those gigantic mirrors. I believe the other driver was either exiting a parking lot near by or perhaps attempting to get past my truck in the turn lane. Exiting the parking lot seems most likely. I happened to be pulling in where she saw a gap to get around me?!?

Unfortunately, I got cited. “Improper turn”... I believe the cop “read the room”. The young black woman that hit me was distraught and I think the cop figured he had to cite someone and that I wouldn’t put up the stink she would. The cop basically told me as much. I’m not terribly worried, historically I’ve had far better luck with judges than with police and I believe I can provide enough evidence to at least make the accident no fault.

Jeremy

Well, that's a fine kettle of fish. But from the damage I see the most likely way it happened was she hit you, as it's her nose and the hit on the truck's side is well behind the front. Unless she had right of way in the turning lane, she's at fault, and if she's using the turning lane to accelerate, and hits you she may have been going too fast or turning into it without judging other traffic (your truck) correctly.

If it matters to you, you can canvass the businesses nearby for video, or even subpoena the "black box" data from the car to get her speed. You could even try to find out if she was on her phone. But if you can just get a no-fault judgement that's probably easiest.

I am not a lawyer, etc.

Nothing dumber than seeing a guy buy a new (or old) F-250 then lift it way up.....then use one of those scary-weak looking 12" right angle drop hitches so he can actually tow a trailer.

I was walking out of Home Depot today and there was an older guy with a new F-250 4x5. The tailgate was so high he and his wife were clearly not gonna get the grille they bought loaded in so I stopped and helped him shove it up in there.

Whatever the height was...my old '99 Ram 3500 was the perfect height. Easy to load and made a great workbench.

80's and 90's Ford pickups is almost like getting in a mini van. Even if that truck got a 3 or 4" lift,
it would still probably be 4" shorter than a new 4wd F250. The new ones are stupid tall, and a pain in
the ass to get into. My Dad brought his home, and went back to the dealer the next day to order the
side steps, and its still a pain to get in.

Now the bed height, that's a consideration. I like to be able to reach into the bed, I don't like
it when the side of the bed is at my chin.

I hate shoveling into a jacked up new truck. When I have to do that I wish I had a front loader.

Trucks are stupid high these days. And stupid short beds.. Try to get a regular cab, with a full bed.... "That's a custom truck" WTF

Nothing dumber than seeing a guy buy a new (or old) F-250 then lift it way up.....then use one of those scary-weak looking 12" right angle drop hitches so he can actually tow a trailer.

I was walking out of Home Depot today and there was an older guy with a new F-250 4x5. The tailgate was so high he and his wife were clearly not gonna get the grille they bought loaded in so I stopped and helped him shove it up in there.

Whatever the height was...my old '99 Ram 3500 was the perfect height. Easy to load and made a great workbench.

And then there is the "poor" farmer around here that buys his 16 year old dufas kid a new diesel truck then the dumb ass jacks it up about 6" and and puts giant mudder tires that you can hear howling about 2 miles away. And of course you have to drill giant holes in the bed for the 5" diameter chrome twice pipes right behind the cab pouring clouds of black smoke. Stupid, just f'in stupid.

I hate shoveling into a jacked up new truck. When I have to do that I wish I had a front loader.

Trucks are stupid high these days. And stupid short beds.. Try to get a regular cab, with a full bed.... "That's a custom truck" WTF

It is really hard to find a regular cab, standard bed used. You have to buy them new, nobody ever
sells them. Back to my Dad again, 2 and half years ago he got sick of fixing his old dodge and
decided to get a newer truck. He just needs it to plow the road in the winter.

He wanted 4wd, regular cab, 8 foot bed (The length that God meant
for all pickup beds to be). Couldn't find a used one. So he
just went and bought a new one. Steel wheels, doesn't even have
cruise control. Rubber floor mats, no carpet.

The side of the bed on that truck is at about the height of my mouth,
its stupid. Getting stuff in and out of the bed is such a pain in
the ass.

Are new motors that tall that the hood has to be about 5 feet in the air?
Or are they just making trucks for people that never need to use them
as trucks?

And then there is the "poor" farmer around here that buys his 16 year old dufas kid a new diesel truck then the dumb ass jacks it up about 6" and and puts giant mudder tires that you can hear howling about 2 miles away. And of course you have to drill giant holes in the bed for the 5" diameter chrome twice pipes right behind the cab pouring clouds of black smoke. Stupid, just f'in stupid.

or the super wide deep dish wheels , but the spindles and are really not prepared to handle the super wide offset, and the bearings keep failing..

In the middle of the night hearing one of the kids at 3 or 4 in the morning balls to the walls ... fun.. and of course once up, can't get back to sleep.

I think the worst thing I ever saw was a 4WD dually that someone had lowered to where it could almost drag over speed bumps.

Back