What's new
What's new

OT: Anyone ever / Can you machine ceramic tile

Started work at a shop making (they said) the most important machines in the world. Turned out to be metering pumps for Kimberly Clark that sprayed the deodorant onto Kotexes.
I worked with a guy who developed that deodorant :D

Yeah, I know that we all get a crazy job once in while. I got a job to rebuild a Menorah. Replaced the Shaman and the star of David and some of the candle holders. It supposedly came from Russia 150 years ago with an immigrant relative of the customer. The candle holders were attached with 1/4-20 threads.
JC

I will prob be doing something like this this year. Machine of choice will be one of my traveling column machines. Deep baking sheet spot welded to something thick enough to bolt down. Some method to hold the tile. Diamond tooling but doubt Home Desperate will have what I need. Suppliers to the stone counter top industry will have what I need.
Fill the pan with water to cover the tile and have at it. Keep rpms down to prevent splashing, feed dead slow.
But I will prob fab something up from 304 with welded in work holding and 6 inches deep. And make a few calls to some shops that have stone working CNC routers about feeds and speeds.
If I had to use a moving table I would turn rapids down dead slow.

I have spot flattened a wavey tile, ceramic with glaze, stick a tubular porcelain drill in the Chuck and stick the tile to a rotary table, light successive cuts, plenty of coolant, if not too textured fit a self adhesive vinyl splinter mask.
If tile too big then fit a ring guide out of polypropylene or similar like template routing.
Works nicely, once the glaze is stripped the bisque is soft.
Porcelain,…. Forget it, that stuff cuts steel, ( I tried turning with a broken spark plug, it worked on induction hardened rod!
If you have a sandblast cab then mask and strip the glaze with Emery grit, a roloc wit flatten the tile.
Or go Walter white and strip the glaze with hydrofluoric acid ( extremely dangerous if you don’t know acids inside out, not recommended)
Mark

We have this wavy tile and the shower body cover plate is flat. I'd like to spot face this tile. Can it be done?
No need to do that. Get a piece of white Teflon for a circular washer. About 1/8" thicker than the deepest groove on the tile.
Shape one side of the Teflon to the profile of the tile. You don't have to be perfect because the compression of the washer will fill in voids.
I did this last year with a shower control valve. Looks better than tile grout and makes it easy to remove for servicing.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know that we all get a crazy job once in while. I got a job to rebuild a Menorah. Replaced the Shaman and the star of David and some of the candle holders. It supposedly came from Russia 150 years ago with an immigrant relative of the customer. The candle holders were attached with 1/4-20 threads.
JC
Whitworth threads had 1/4-20 as a standard and according to wikipedia has been around since 1841. I wouldn't be surprised that the British might sell a menorah or even the tooling to russia in the 1870s

Back