What's new
What's new

OT: Artemis launch tomorrow, have parts on it...pretty excited

plastikdreams

Diamond
The SLS rocket being launched Monday has parts from our facility, I helped redesign and then made dimensional checking fixtures for the wax patterns and also solved an issue with cores shifting when casting the parts...I've been waiting for this for a while...I hope it doesn't blow up lolol

The parts are in the turbo pumps for the liquid hydrogen (fuel) and liquid oxygen (oxidizer) basically small jet engines with a pump attached to them. These are in the RS-25D/E rocket engines recycled from the space shuttle.

These parts are called booked patterns, this means a series of wax patterns are made and then the are glued (booked) together with wax. They have to be done very accurately or casting dimensions won't be right. The fixtures I made each checked on 2 planes with dial indicators on a sweeping arm. Everything was set from the engine centerline.

I've done work on tooling for many jet engines but to me this is the most exciting. I'm sure a lot of you guys have parts on all kinds of rockets, but this is my first. 😀

Good luck! Hope it goes well. I was just reading the other day about some component of the hydrogen injection system or something like that that wasn't function tested during ignition yet, so it would be activated 10 seconds early tomorrow to make sure it was functional.

Always exciting to see the final result of your work.

Sounds like you do some fancy stuff - very cool.

Even the most simple components can make all the difference - a spacer or hex nut that costs 50 cents to make, can hold up an entire assembly and cost tens of thousands of dollars (or more), in lost time.

I live on the Space Coast ,I can watch the launch from from my front porch .
I understand ther will be a Million people here to witness the launch .
all kinds of altered traffic patterns .
Thanks For all the tecnical help from all the Tallented companies that contributed to this endeavor .
God Speed Artemis

Just think of all the student debt we could 'forgive' with that kind of money. I bet it would buy enough votes to keep Democrats in the White House for years without needing to use a single dead person vote.

Or, we could buy houses for all of the homeless, stupid, and lazy. Imagine finding yourself living in an alley one day, covered in fleas and feces, only to wake up the next day still covered in fleas and feces but in a beautiful new split level and a Biden sticker on your otherwise filthy forehead.

Better yet...we could pay down about 5% of our debt to China.

That is way cool! Congratulation.

My father in law was an engineer with Grumman for many years and had designed parts that were on both the LEM and the space shuttles. My wife's initials are engraved in one of the window frames on the LEM from Apollo 13.
That's awesome. I'm sure there's at least someone here who worked on the Saturn v maybe even Gemini.

Quick fact, the sls will have 18% more power than the Saturn v.

The SLS rocket being launched Monday has parts from our facility, I helped redesign and then made dimensional checking fixtures for the wax patterns and also solved an issue with cores shifting when casting the parts...I've been waiting for this for a while...I hope it doesn't blow up lolol

The parts are in the turbo pumps for the liquid hydrogen (fuel) and liquid oxygen (oxidizer) basically small jet engines with a pump attached to them. These are in the RS-25D/E rocket engines recycled from the space shuttle.

These parts are called booked patterns, this means a series of wax patterns are made and then the are glued (booked) together with wax. They have to be done very accurately or casting dimensions won't be right. The fixtures I made each checked on 2 planes with dial indicators on a sweeping arm. Everything was set from the engine centerline.

I've done work on tooling for many jet engines but to me this is the most exciting. I'm sure a lot of you guys have parts on all kinds of rockets, but this is my first. 😀
Congratulations. You, your employee's and families must be very proud.

congrats to you, but i hope this program is scrapped asap. what a waste
congrats to you, but i hope this program is scrapped asap. what a waste of money :(

There have been quite a few new manufacturing technologies developed for this moon shot. NASA paid everyone involved and basically gives the vendor rights to that technology. The Op did some difficult work to push boundaries of what can be cast for example, would you rather the USA just cast frying pans?

I hope we do more of these difficult projects as a nation. Let’s come together and recognize all the efforts of some of the best engineers, and machinists this country has to showcase to build something that is this advanced.

I suppose you are sworn to secrecy about the essential role you played in this project. But, if you can share any specifics about “booking” molds, and perhaps some pics of less proprietary material, I, for one would love to see it.

What you are doing is truly admirable requiring knowledge earned through likely painful experience, diligence, creativity, persistence, and the guts to put it all onn the line. Other than that, nothing special;-). I’ll watch the launch with increased interest just knowing you had a part.

Moving the needle of our collective knowledge takes a huge collective effort. Thank you for your contribution!

Denis

Just think of all the student debt we could 'forgive' with that kind of money. I bet it would buy enough votes to keep Democrats in the White House for years without needing to use a single dead person vote.

Or, we could buy houses for all of the homeless, stupid, and lazy. Imagine finding yourself living in an alley one day, covered in fleas and feces, only to wake up the next day still covered in fleas and feces but in a beautiful new split level and a Biden sticker on your otherwise filthy forehead.

Better yet...we could pay down about 5% of our debt to China.
Thank you for such an uplifting reply,I was really feeling down in the dumps.Edwin Dirnbeck

I suppose you are sworn to secrecy about the essential role you played in this project. But, if you can share any specifics about “booking” molds, and perhaps some pics of less proprietary material, I, for one would love to see it.

What you are doing is truly admirable requiring knowledge earned through likely painful experience, diligence, creativity, persistence, and the guts to put it all onn the line. Other than that, nothing special;-). I’ll watch the launch with increased interest just knowing you had a part.

Moving the needle of our collective knowledge takes a huge collective effort. Thank you for your contribution!

Denis
Yeah I can't take pictures or video of anything at work. Booking is done when the detail involved exceeds the ability to make complete wax patterns. So we have multiple molds that make slices or pieces of the completed pattern. These are done totally by hand in a certain sequence. It's fairly precise work as even the amount of wax used to connect the pieces together matters. The parts are then coated with a silica slurry and covered with silica dust, repeatedly...just like any investment casting. The interesting thing with these castings is the not only go through die penetrant, xray, and a few other processes, they also get cat scanned.

Back