What's new
What's new

OT- bait for mouse traps?

I use peanut butter. One location seemed to have some crafty mice. The bait would be gone but the latch didn't release. Then I noticed that shortly after loading the peanut butter ants would come out and get it.

1674227809148.jpeg
The hunter is proud of the trophy regardless of size. My wife used Hershey Kisses to trap mice in her storage cabinets when she taught school. Could here them thumping the sticky trap in the metal cabinet when she caught one.

David

I'd be nervous sleeping at night ! make sure he got his dinner on time :D

Did I already stick this up ?

what do you s'pose they think they can do, with their itty-bitty hands "directing" mr kitty down the path ?

Have you ever petted a tiger ? They are impressive upclose.
Mr Kitty looks kinda large. Although he doesn't seem too aggravated.
When SnoBall slept, he snored...loudly.

I'd be nervous sleeping at night ! make sure he got his dinner on time :D

Did I already stick this up ?

what do you s'pose they think they can do, with their itty-bitty hands "directing" mr kitty down the path ?
Yeah. This reminds me of the old "Ten Commandments" (Ben Hur?) epic movie, made by Sam Goldwyn I think.

In the movie, filmed a scene showing a lion laying down with a lamb. Somebody interviewing Sam Goldwyn asked how this biblical miracle was achieved. He answered " by frequent replacement of the lamb".

Last edited:
There are a few different bait options you can try to see if they will be more successful. One option is to use a peanut butter and oatmeal mixture as bait. Mice love both of these ingredients and the oatmeal will give the bait a more natural smell that they may be attracted to. Another option is to use a piece of bacon or cheese as bait. Mice are attracted to the strong smell of these foods and may be more likely to take the bait.

You can also try to make the trap more appealing by placing a small amount of bait on the trigger plate and a larger amount in the back of the trap. This will encourage the mouse to enter the trap and investigate, increasing the chances of them being caught. mice tend to follow wall and try to keep close to them, so you can place the traps near baseboards, in corners, and along walls.

So it tried the bacon.
I tried a lovely bit of baked salmon.
My wife entered the fray with some almond chocolate biscotti.
No love….

My wife is muttering this morning-
“Who doesn’t like biscotti, I just don’t understand that one bit.”….

7F6F8D6B-E121-459F-BB6C-E53A77A6E9D1.jpeg

In other news I was really laying into a bar yesterday to straighten up some welded up pipe and heard a “pop” and a lovely friendly sharp as hell pain in me ribs.
Dr Google says I broke some cartilage alongside the sternum.

To save another thread-
Torn cartilage….?
Is this better or worse than the mouse problem?
Sounds like a couple/few months and it will knit up..

Last edited:
The below item/pills are likely just a gimmick and expensive but the article does give ingredients.
I had heard someplace that bone marrow and gelatin were l good for restoring cartilage / and that it is very difficult for a body to restore or repair cartilage.

I got hit in the knee cap with a boat jack and my knee was like a painful rusty hinge for about 6 months..likely would have been a candidate for a fake knee.. finally went away and now my knee is as good as new.

Those Victor traps have been around so long that likely the mouseyes know the word
Might be good to dissemble the trap, sand off the words, and put on new words"This is Not a Trap

Last edited:
I bet that putting a leg, off at 90* so the base stands verticle might make the trap more efficient, The bait could be accessed with not stepping on the trap.
Also, a string-trigger shotgun might work....use a 410 so to put a smaller hole in the wall.

Last edited:
Don’t ya need coffee with biscotti?
You need Wine

RE: Vin Santo is often paired with a Biscotti as it is an amazing pairing. When the Biscotti and Vin Santo merge, the wine softens to cookie and the cookie cushions the intense sweetness of the fortified wine. Meanwhile, the cookie absorbs the caramel and hazelnut flavours of the wine, saturating your taste buds with their delicious flavours.

I did not see anything about Coffee.

You need Wine

RE: Vin Santo is often paired with a Biscotti as it is an amazing pairing. When the Biscotti and Vin Santo merge, the wine softens to cookie and the cookie cushions the intense sweetness of the fortified wine. Meanwhile, the cookie absorbs the caramel and hazelnut flavours of the wine, saturating your taste buds with their delicious flavours.

I did not see anything about Coffee.
Moosic, you need soft moosic playing as well, and keep the lights low too...:D

From the original post I suspect scent has a lot to do with it. Not only the dog scent from hands but even a tiny bit of residue from peppermint toothpaste will make them shy away from the trap.

Let the traps "age" outdoors for a few days and be careful handling them. A friend has good success with bucket traps, dry because his wife won't let him kill anything. However, he HAS seen owls and other predators lurking near the release site so possibly nature is lending an assist. :D

Back