What's new
What's new

OT- bait for mouse traps?

We tried to hand dig a well with failure.
But when the hole was about 10 feet deep mice would fall into the hold and just run round and round.. A bird spotted them and would come every day to scoop them up.

If the mice do not want what you are trying to feed them in your traps, they have plenty to eat from some other source. They ain't so smart they will avoid traps. They're all on welfare, after all, and a "handout" has to be better than what they already have, or it ain't worth messin' with.

Not smart????

So last night I catch a mouse red handed sitting on our stove.

Mouse: “how ya doing?”
Me: “I’m pissed off how do you think I’m doing?”
Mouse: “not my problem”
Me: “it is your problem you are the mouse who is pissing me off”
Mouse: “get over it”

I am telling you - the damn mice are smart.

It was Trader Joe’s biscotti and not that good.
Maybe I need to try some of the good stuff from the Italian deli?
I just don’t know..

Last edited:
Not smart????

So last night I catch a mouse red handed sitting on our stove.

Mouse: “how ya doing?”
Me: “I’m pissed off how do you think I’m doing?”
Mouse: “not my problem”
Me: “it is your problem you are the mouse who is pissing me off”
Mouse: “get over it”

I am telling you - the damn mice are smart.

It was Trader Joe’s biscotti and not that good.
Maybe I need to try some of the good stuff from the Italian deli?
I just don’t know..
Sounds like you've already gotten into the "Good Stuff".....:drink:

Grilled chicken........shop had/has mice.....peanut butter, walked on by it......
zap traps....got to smart for it.
Put out the green Ramik balls, I think they played soccer with them....:willy_nilly:

We had grilled chicken sandwiches one day and thought , why not.
As fast as we loaded them up we had dead mice.
So next day got another sandwich and repeated process.....sucess.
Course its a never ending battle..............

Darn shame the animal group now has your address and is likely to start picketing you tomorrow.

If this guy gets this terrible mayhem started one of our most successful furbearers may go extinct, and life as we know it will be gone.

Last edited:
I have rats/mice in my shop. Put out Havok poison and it disappeared like crazy. Thought I was making progress till I pulled the covers off the anchor pockets in the concrete floor. Full of Havok.

Change to a chunk bait with a hole in the center. Hang on a nail or secure with a wire. There are also bait holders that prevent animals other than rats or mice from accessing the bait.

well my latest innovation worked in about an hour, even on the Brooklyn rats, although it was a junior.
cammoed it, screwed it to a 2X4 so it had to climb up a bit, and put side shields so they couldn't snatch the bait out the side.
success . bait was chicken skin, and BBQ sauce, a bit of salad dressing sprinkled around for good measure...

p.S., this is the most effective setup ive used so far, got two more overnight, one more juvie, and poppa. a good kilo at least.

Attachments

• IMG_3821.jpg
    IMG_3821.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3823.jpg
    IMG_3823.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
well my latest innovation worked in about an hour, even on the Brooklyn rats, although it was a junior.
cammoed it, screwed it to a 2X4 so it had to climb up a bit, and put side shields so they couldn't snatch the bait out the side.
success . bait was chicken skin, and BBQ sauce, a bit of salad dressing sprinkled around for good measure...

p.S., this is the most effective setup ive used so far, got two more overnight, one more juvie, and poppa. a good kilo at least.
Use the fresh rats caught yesterday as bait for today's adventure....:ack2:

You better buy a lifetime supply of traps because the animal cruelty group is going to outlaw all the animal death traps...only catch and release ones are to be allowed.
The wood base ones are to be banned first to save trees that are needed to avert global warming.
Then plastic-based ones because plastic is made from oil, and oil is bad.

Since we have crossed the line from bait to cruel and unusual punishment. A friend told me about a deficiency in Victor rat traps with Texas rats. They could pull out or carry off the trap after springing it. Small nails were suggested to keep them from pulling out. Stainless safety wire was used to keep them from hauling off the trap and keep them from chewing through a string. One last deficiency was noted if they went to the bait from the spring bar side they would be launched clear of the nails instead of being trapped. Thus the 2 long nails in the middle to make them get the bait from the kill zone. From the discussion so far, I see that the rats from the northeast talk tough but Texas rats are tough.
Maybe not so much on our coyotes, I heard the storry of the Aggie that decided to raise coyotes. A neighbor told him that his coyotes were getting out and causing problems on his place. The Aggie asked how he knew that it was one of his coyotes. Neighbor said that he caught one and that the coyote had chewed off 3 of his legs and was still in the trap.

RatTrap.jpg

Back