What's new
What's new

Ot. cautionary health story

surplusjohn

Diamond
This has been the worse year if my life. My 42 year old daughter, Lauren Fitzsimmons, passed away from a Glioblastoma type 4. It was fast. Lauren was an incredibly tallented, brilliant and beautiful young woman. Look her up on imdb. But that is annother story.
When we were in LA for her memorial , I got sick and thought I had food poisoning. I was super sick and couldn't even keep water down. Somehow I made it back to syracuse and to the er. Turns out I had a strangulated small intestine. Surgeon had to take off about 10 inches and gave me a stoma, ie an ostomy bag. Surgeon said I was near death and if the intestine burst on the plane, that would of been it. On top of all that I was extremely dehydrated so that my electrolytes were unbalanced and my stoma output was 2 to 3 times what it was supposed to be. That lead to heart and kidney problems. I was in the hospital for 12 days until I practically begged the surgeon to let me go home.
I went from 185 to 152 lbs. After 3 months I am up to 162 lbs and still pretty weak. I lost muscle remarkably fast.
Luckily I had plenty of support at home with my son and sisters helping Cheryl to look after me for two weeks. I also have good insurance and am retired so I didnt have those worries. Anyways, I guess the point is dont be foolish like I was. I didnt want to get stuck in LA, but I was lucky I made it back and didnt loose my life. I went from pretty healthy to near death in a couple of days.
They are putting me back together on Friday so I will be rid of the damn ostomy bag.

mnl

Hot Rolled
Glad to hear you are on the mend. My condolences on your daughter. I will give a big second to your "don't be foolish." I think I avoided a similar sort of problem last year, took myself to the ER pretty quickly and I was glad I did. If I had waited until the next morning it could have been a lot worse. As it was just two uncomfortable nights in the hospital.

EPAIII

Diamond
Sorry to hear of your loss and subsequent medical problems. But it seems that you may come out of it OK. I will keep you and your daughter in my prayers.

I always thought I would be the first to go but my dear wife of 55 years passed away a little less than two years ago. I woke up one day and she was just lying on the bathroom floor by the sink. Apparently it was fast. I believe she was dead before hitting the floor. By all appearances, it was a normal day for her. Coffee in the microwave and laundry being collected for the washer. Although she had her share of maladies, she had no fresh complaints or symptoms at that time. The coroner's certificate listed four causes, which to me, meant he really didn't know which to blame.

We are all just a heartbeat away from death and any of us can go at any time. When the big man wills it, then that's it. Live your life to the best every day. And love those around you while you are privledged to do so.

memphisjed

Titanium
Truly sucks- and it is a very long road back to functional.
Gatorade and boost are always in reach. I know the journey all to well.
You can do it!

Limy Sami

Diamond
So sorry to hear of your loss John, .......... as for the colostomy bag - you also have my sympathies - only mine cannot be reversed. Extreme fatigue, lack of energy and general tiredness are also well known to me, ......... and I handle it by ''going with the flow'' but not letting it beat me - do what you can when you can!!!

Hang in there.

snowman

Diamond
So sorry. I cannot, and do not even want to try to imagine.

My dad hated his ostomy, but I do remember getting up early to go fishing with him and him dumping his ostomy in the lake then commenting "before the cancer I would have had to go back to the cabin to take a shit, now I just find another spot to fish and know that there is a carp living it's best life".

surplusjohn

Diamond
So sorry to hear of your loss John, .......... as for the colostomy bag - you also have my sympathies - only mine cannot be reversed. Extreme fatigue, lack of energy and general tiredness are also well known to me, ......... and I handle it by ''going with the flow'' but not letting it beat me - do what you can when you can!!!

Hang in there.
Limy, thanks for your story. I am thankful that this bag is temporary, also i have an ileostomy, so it's at the end of the small intestine. the fatigue is frustrating, I have so much I want to do but instead do alot of sitting.

surplusjohn

Diamond
In regards to my daughter. Back in December she was complaining about A headache and about a week later she mentioned it again and ended up in the er a couple of days later. They did a scan and sent her onto UCLA Ronald Reagan asap.where they performed brain surgery. They removed a glioblastoma type 4 described as 3 golf balls in her frontal lobe. She recovered quickly, they sent her home in 2 days and we all got to have Christmas together. We didnt keep anything from her but she just didnt understand her situation and was asking when she could go to work. She was a free lance production designer in film. Two months later she went out with her girlfriends to an art directors guild event, went home and had a massive stroke. So she didnt suffer. We were able to be with her when we took her off life support and say goodbye. I miss here terribly. But she lived life to the fullest and had a great life and was loved and admired by many. There were more than 200 people at her public memorial .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230228-204238_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230228-204238_Instagram.jpg
    1,021.3 KB · Views: 33

jim rozen

Diamond
John had an illiostomy most likely. Good he's getting reconnected.

Condolances for you daughter - I cannot imagine what you went through.

Any inkling about why you obstructed?

surplusjohn

Diamond
Yes it was an ileostomy. Reconnecting this Friday. Surgeon said intestine was strangled by some scar tissue but I dont know what that was from. I don't remember an injury there. And thank you for your condolences

animal12

Hot Rolled
MY thoughts to both of you & your family's . As one that has been no stranger to the er in the last couple of years , I learned after my heart attack , the one I paid attention to that if ya feel shitty & even more so if its a new kind of shitty , get yer ass in there & have things checked out !!
animal

animal12

Hot Rolled
I hit send too fast . If you do end up in the er & the Dr won't listen or he says no its nothing ask for aa different DR . I had a 50 minute ambulance from our little hospital to Renown Hospital in Reno . The Dr said that I just had a alergic reaction to something , I said I don't think so . He released me & @ 3/4 of the way home I started having chest pains again , so back to our little hospital . I live outside of a town of @ 2,500 people . So once back at the little hospital the Er Dr was real surprised to see me . We told him what the Dr said at the big hospital . SO he shook his head & started doing tests & more tests . Finally he call's Renown back & says he sending me back & that I am not to go to Er , I am to go straight to the Heart floor.
I take the same ambulance with the same driver & EMT as the first trip . Two ambulance trips in the same day hours apart . A week to get the blood thinners out of my system , open heart a 3 way bypass later I spent a week in the heart floor & was finally released after another week . Renown investigated at our request & sent us a paper saying that the first Er Dr did nothing wrong . I had a premium deer tag that year that took me 7 years to get . I told my surgeon & he said that sucked , so he wrote me a note that I sent to Fish & Game & they issued me & my party the premium tag the following year without not having to go through the drawing process .
Moral of the story Be Your Own Advocate !!!
end of rant
animal

Last edited: