What's new
What's new

OT Completely What is this scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob

Titanium
I watch too much US TV and this ad is irrelevant for me but have always wondered WTF. It is the ad for call this number for free info on Medicare upgrades. What happens when you make the call?
Bob

I would wonder if some might also be collecting medicare numbers to file fraudulent claims. At least that's my assumption about the phone calls with "Have you received your new Medicare card yet?"

1. Call this number.
2. Say your zip code.
3. Your available benefits may get you more coverage.

More coverage for the caller means more money diverted into someones helping hands after they try to help you.

Do they still use toll numbers where you are being charged for making the call beyond just your minutes ?

Do they still use toll numbers where you are being charged for making the call beyond just your minutes ?
Absolutely! Most specifically on a landline where you may not have a long-distance calling plan. Time and distance. I pay for local toll calls within my area code, not to mention outside my area code if I forget to use my cell.

A long distance calling plan? What century is this?
I am using a corner store Sim card and have called London & Paris and most recently the foreign country Florida for nothing extra at all. $35/month.

A long distance calling plan? What century is this?

My thoughts exactly. I'd bet anyone you stop on the street and ask would have no idea what "long distance" even dealt with... nobody even thinks of that stuff any more. Hell, most "plans" you get any more don't even mention "minutes" (at least the Straight Talk I get from WM doesn't) anymore.... just the amount of data you get. All it says is "Unlimited talk time and 25gb of data".

The topic of "I went over my minutes" doesn't even come up in casual conversation any more.... all younger folks worry about it how much data is left on their plans.

I watch too much US TV and this ad is irrelevant for me but have always wondered WTF. It is the ad for call this number for free info on Medicare upgrades. What happens when you make the call?
Bob
The whole thrust of these ads is to get you to sign up for a Medicare Advantage plan. They sell you on the idea that you can get more benefits under one of these plans. What they don't say is that when you sign up, you are no longer covered by the Medicare Administration, you are now covered by a private insurance company that gets paid by Medicare to provide coverage to you. You now have all of the same crap that goes along with private coverage, doctors and hospitals that are not "in plan" etc.

It's all part of a scheme to privatize Medicare.

Absolutely! Most specifically on a landline where you may not have a long-distance calling plan. Time and distance. I pay for local toll calls within my area code, not to mention outside my area code if I forget to use my cell.
Just curious why anyone besides possibly a business would still have a land line. We dumped ours about 10 years ago and haven't missed it at all, particularly the robo calls at election time.

The whole thrust of these ads is to get you to sign up for a Medicare Advantage plan. They sell you on the idea that you can get more benefits under one of these plans. What they don't say is that when you sign up, you are no longer covered by the Medicare Administration, you are now covered by a private insurance company that gets paid by Medicare to provide coverage to you. You now have all of the same crap that goes along with private coverage, doctors and hospitals that are not "in plan" etc.
And... When you get really, really sick and they won't cover it, real Medicare will take you back, but good luck getting a supplemental plan that picks up the other 20%. The Advantage plans advertise free eyeglasses and free dental coverage, piddly stuff in the grand scheme of things, but they must be getting the money for that, and their profit from somewhere, and I'm sure it's limiting care.

Dennis

Just curious why anyone besides possibly a business would still have a land line. We dumped ours about 10 years ago and haven't missed it at all, particularly the robo calls at election time.
We live in the mountains where cell service is non-existent, internet is marginal at best (<1mbps) and power is subject to interruption without notice. A landline still works.

Before my wife died, the landline was critical to communicate with the outside world. Robo calls happen all the time, not just election time. I have a call blocker that I add an average of 15 numbers everyday. I just don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number or name.

Before my wife died, the landline was critical to communicate with the outside world. Robo calls happen all the time, not just election time. I have a call blocker that I add an average of 15 numbers everyday. I just don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number or name.
Don't you have a cell phone?

As I recall, these programs offer you money up front but take away coverage from the back end. That is you're good this year but next year if stuff hits the fan you get bankrupted. Do a LOT of research before signing on to this type of thing. The company that offers this plans, Benefytt Technologies, has some shadiness in their DNA. Broadway Joe is, alas, reduced to being a shill.

Bob
Closed due to meaningless topic title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back