What's new
What's new

OT: CRC brake cleaner - safe on rubber bellows / rubber accordian, plastic , acrylic?

Your welcome to come to the shop and try my hot water pressure washer.
Thanks. I will take you up on the offer; would like to check out your setup and how you clean stuff.

If the parts I need cleaning were large casting I would hot or steam pressure wash, but these are delicate areas like spindles and X-Y table / ways.

Chlorinated solvents might be ok with teflons (viton etc) and other fluorinated plastics but I would expected surface etching or damage to the teflon, And these chlorinated solvents also have just enough free chloride (impurity) that aluminum will be etched as well.

I vote for hot soapy water. The OP does not prefer water but at least there will be no unexpected or mysterious chemistry going on.

Just dabbing on mineral spirits and letting it sit for days will soften old dried up grease and oil. Dab a little more on every day. Then brush and scrape off the worst of it and start over with more mineral spirits. Brass brushes are really good for scrubbing steel parts.

Back