What's new
What's new

OT: custom automotive creeper

I've spent many years under cars, and have used creepers, but I still prefer a big sheet of cardboard. I can slide pretty easy on cardboard, and I don't have the problem of wheels hanging up on stuff. And you can slide surprisingly easy on cardboard.

Some kind of back rest that would go from flat to almost sitting position with some kind of power screw/gas balance system.

Big casters of course with brake feature so when you have to stab something the creeper does not push off on you.

As someone else said tool/parts tray.

One auto plant I worked in had some ancient curved bottom creepers in a repair hole/prep center that absolutely would put the high seniority guys to sleep.

Of course no one would spend a grand for a creeper.

I'll design and market something under the CCA Racing Products line but would need product liability on something like a creeper, so I'd have to talk to the insurers first.

For <$1000 you could certainly have something made of aluminum with an ISO grid and contouring. You could do investment casting or forging if the volume was there. I'm thinking the structure of a Lone Wolf hang-on tree stand base.

In response to the original poster, yes, I built my own creeper last winter.

I've been restoring my airplane and much of the work requires going through the wheel wells, which are about 3 feet above the ground. This height is awful, too high to reach from a standard creeper, too low to sit or kneel.

I finally gave up and designed the creeper shown below. It's not ready for commercial use, but for me it's much better than anything else I've seen. I'd be afraid to put 320 pounds on it, but it hold me (195 pounds) just fine. It is rather heavy, cumbersome to use, and it's easy to pinch your fingers if you're not careful. However, it does what I need it to do. The head support has stacked Belleville washers so it can move and stay where you put it. The back and seat move independently.

I painted it to prevent rust, but it's still not finished. I need to put cushions on it, as well as hardware upgrades. I took it to the airport to try it out and never brought it home.

Creeper 1, Small.jpg Creeper 2, Small.jpg

Last edited:
Stumbled on this one today: Creepex INC.

Pretty interesting. I like the trike design. I like the large side wheels. I like that they don't pivot.
I am sure there would also be times I hated that they didn't pivot. Do I believe the 500lb rating? Hell no.
Would I put any stock in the warranty? Hell no.
Still interesting.

Stumbled on this one today: Creepex INC.

Pretty interesting. I like the trike design. I like the large side wheels. I like that they don't pivot.
I am sure there would also be times I hated that they didn't pivot. Do I believe the 500lb rating? Hell no.
Would I put any stock in the warranty? Hell no.
Still interesting.

Step 1: stack 10 sandbags onto creeper
Step 2: roll carefully across the floor
Step 3: look/listen for broken pieces
Step 4: update website

I'll throw in my gripe about the majority of creepers, the wheel placement always catches and rips out some of my hair:angry:. Cardboard or an old comforter is my choice these days, and its nice having a helper to fetch tools so I don't have to get back up a 100 times for a job.

its nice having a helper to fetch tools so I don't have to get back up a 100 times for a job.

What is it about working under a vehicle that requires getting back up and down so many darn times?!!:bawling:

I don't care if you have three of every tool, the one you need is going to be up top...:o

On edit: I've always been a large sheet of cardboard man...but have been pondering a creeper.

ToolCat Greg

Back