What's new
What's new

OT: Cuts and burns from long hard experience. Treatments that work for me.

Have a Stanley knife blade to slide over area to remove splinters, get the direction right they pull out, if that doesn’t work cut a bit of skin away with nail clippers.

I always use a sewing needle sterilized with alcohol. A Stanley knife may not be able to raise the splinter enough to get a grip on it. The needle can get into or enlarge the entryway for the splinter and flip it up exposing enough to grab it with tweezers. After that I use special splinter-removing tweezers, some with magnifying glass.

Lots of interesting stuff that is very useful and creative here. It is as many a machinist will often do considering that often it is as if we are given sticks and stones and a good file if we are lucky to add hoc a important time sensitive project. :)

I like a good First Aid box in the shop preferably Zee Medical and stocked regularly. I am not opposed to tablets either yet some are however most any shop will have something for a headache.

Like good safety glasses first aid supplies are the best I think and they should be sterile. The acid Eye and skin neutralizer can save a man’s eyes if chemicals are splashed onto them and it is basic good practice to have sterile bandages plus good things to clean a wound and treat them.

Infection can be a thing and sure it is better to at least use soap and water to clean a wound. The recommendation for burns are spot on. Knowing CPR or having the availability of a defibrillator is good too. Most smaller shops do not go that far yet larger shops can and do.

Working safe saves some cuts, burns, and smashes. Horseplay can lead to injury and should be nipped.

Place the burned area on your earlobe, it will suck the burn out, it has to be done instantly, with time you can develop a natural reflex,
Obviously this only works on the hands, and only on first degree maybe mild second degree burns.

Something I read about, infected ie red and pussy wounds, iodine but also I read that manuka honey works, they were testing it at the local hospital for leg ulcers in diabetic patients, apparently it works
Mark

Just remembered, a wash bottle with iso propyl alcohol, quick squirt chills the area fast plus sterilises it, slag burns usually go septic for some reason
Mark

The old school method for a bleeding cut was to wash it vigorously with soap and warm water. Then wrap it with a thick brown paper bag..yes, you put the never touched side to your skin.

Out in the bush, you can strop a cattail stem to make a washing agent and then also use it for a bandage.
White fire ashes make an ok wound washing agent.
Soaking a cut or puncher in warm water with some dish soap for about 15-30 minutes avoids infection.
Washing bandages in fire ashes and let dry in the sun makes them pretty Ok.
Keep wounds dry, dry bandages, and keep flies off is good.

Last edited:
Maybe this happens to you too. A major reason for writing about this stuff:

Right now there's a 5/16 long slash on my thumb which is not deep but it stings. Working on stuff and all the oil leads eventually to
washing hands. That makes the wound soften up and it draws out more time for the thing to close. This is the time when the top skin has
a V-Notch across the two sides. Under 50x it looks like a thread minor diameter. The bottom of the V is .015 below and the skin is redder.
It's been 4-5 days because this hand washing is getting in the way. If anybody (including me) learns from this I'm going to try taping it
tight over night instead of letting it air dry.

This kind of thing puts one in a bad mode. If anybody knows this, do those store bought bottles in the women's aisle at say Target have
anything that can be applied at night and quickly close the red area up. I looked at the Vaseline Intensive Care and a few others this
morning.

One thing I use a few times at home is lip balm. Just trowel it in the slot and it seals good. I am not sure how hitting the area with
different products affects the length of the healing process.

In regard to tweezers for removing splinters, the wire EDM cut A2 tool steel machinist tweezers that markz528 sold on in the PM classified ad section is my favorite. Too bad that was a one time run.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...13975-machinist-tweezer-arrowhead-tweezer.jpg

Grobet File Co. has about thirty-eleven pages of really good quality tweezers in their Catalog. Aside from that they sell some truly high quality files, the Tweezers selection is worth a look.

I learned the value of a GOOD pair of tweezers when I was thinking I knew a little (I eventually figured out HOW little) about watchmaking and watch repair. I no longer think I know more than a modest amount on the subject, but I DO understand that a decent pair of tweezers is not an inexpensive buy!

Chock it up as a lesson in quality, professional grade tools!

Something I read about, infected ie red and pussy wounds, iodine but also I read that manuka honey works, they were testing it at the local hospital for leg ulcers in diabetic patients, apparently it works
Mark

I almost took that out of context! Just sayin' :)

I was given pouches of Manuka Honey to put over a surgery site, where they had closed me up with a row of staples. They said at that time, each pouch cost the around $70. These were smaller than a MacDonald's Ketchup pouch!

Dunno what it is about Manuka honey in particular that they think makes it better than the rest, but they spend a pile of money on the stuff!

Lots of good advice here, I would add that the two problems with burns are firstly the initial ‘cooking’ of the flesh and secondly infection. I worked in an aluminium smelter where we made foundry ingots. They could still be very hot while looking cold, one of the office ladies picked up a very hot ingot by mistake giving her serious burns to one hand, our local hospital cooled the wound with iced water for some hours and then enclosed her hand in a plastic bag sealed at the wrist. She was told to leave it for 10 days and on removing the bag there was no infection or sign of the burns.

Superglue works well for big nasty gashes if you use it with gauze or fabric. Try not to get it inside the gash too much. It will hold the flesh together and it doesn't have to be dry to work.

I glued a few fingers and leg gashes back together before I had good insurance.

I would not trust the chemicals in that stuff to be compatible with human organs. Lymph fluid and blood distributes stuff everywhere.
If the storage site is fat then that stuff will probably be there for a long time. Unless you fast periodically. Something I have to
get back into.

Maybe a piece of tape over the wound and then super glue on the edges of the tape. Creates a closed enclosure for the cut. And probably
better than what I do with just tape, which has to be maintained if it's wet or coming off.

Back