What's new
What's new

ot Diesel Exhaust Fluid. shortage ? and trucking / shipping

I sort of like the anti-green posts when they are well written and-or amusing.
No doubt lots of "green" legislation is over the top, or often simply wrong.

The 10% eco-fuel "green diesel" is a case in point.
Absolute idiocy.
Using corn to dilute diesel for political reasons, and pay us farmers for it, is just mad.
Us farmers benefit, otherwise it´s just madness.
It is NOT green, and it does NOT benefit the environment overall.

Otoh making the auto-manufacturers more efficient is an excellent idea.
The typical performance sedan went from 10l/100 km to 4.5 l/100 km over the last 20 years.

But what is stupid is exempting most of the bus and truck emissions from this legislation - and they are the biggest polluters.
50x the emissions from a bus vs the same sedan.

And the silly EU legislation regarding lead rohs - but conveniently excluding cars and trucks who deliver and disperse more lead than everything else.

The idea and concept behind a lot of the legislation is often sound.
The practical implementation is often rotten.
"Politics is the art of the possible" -- is less true than it seems.
Where "bad" compromises would not be accepted, "better" compromises would appear.
This biofuel stuff is not just an automotive problem. We have oil heat and Riello, the manufacturer of the burner specifically advises against using biofuel, which is usually reprocessed used cooking oil. The "greens" are trying to mandate that all oil companies deliver a blend of petroleum and biofuel. I'm all for environmentally sound practices BUT they must be something people actually want rather then something forced with less then desirable negatives.

This biofuel stuff is not just an automotive problem. We have oil heat and Riello, the manufacturer of the burner specifically advises against using biofuel, which is usually reprocessed used cooking oil. The "greens" are trying to mandate that all oil companies deliver a blend of petroleum and biofuel. I'm all for environmentally sound practices BUT they must be something people actually want rather then something forced with less then desirable negatives.
12 years burning 10 percent in a blue flame burner with zero problems.
Not actually sure on all the benefits of all versions of biofuels, but this one has caused me no problems

Last edited:
Last job I did with the sandblasters was a whole biofuel refinery to process waste fat ,not vegetable oil.........anyhoo,no matter what the feedstock ,the triglyceride chain is broken down into straight chain hydrocarbon......no trace of the feedstock remains......this process isnt the same as burning waste sunflower or peanut oil in your 1964 Mercedes 190D.

Back