What's new
What's new

OT Does this roofing conpany sound like a scam?

guythatbrews

Titanium
It's time for a re-roof. No storm damage, just end-of-life. My roof is not insured because we switched home insurance last year and the insurer said they wouldn't cover it because it was too old.

So I got a quote last year. The guy came out and checked the pitch, vents, flashing, etc, everything but measuring, and said he'd get me a quote. He said he uses Google earth and an app to size the roof, then applies the pitch to find the area. I was surprised but thought, maybe. Didn't seem super far fetched, and I got a quote. Lots of $$, roof not leaking, so the feet were drug.

Fast forward to today. My 20 yr old granddaughter got a job at a roofing place a few weeks ago. Commision only, no salary or wages. Right away I say to myself it sounds scammy. But I had to give her a chance. She came out today and right away she is into the storm damage thing even though I told her no insurance. She kept circling round to that. In two weeks training, I think that is all she's been taught. They have turned her loose making cold calls in areas they target for storm damage via the internet. She pulled up something that listed history/severity of area storms and started telling me about all the damage my roof had sustained. Thing is, she had no idea how to measure the roof square footage. Don't know if that training is still coming, or if they just guess at some point. This place has a half dozen offices round the country, and a 7 month old office here. I tried to find the local office on BBB but couldn't. Again, sounds scammy. I'm concerned she is working for a shady place! She said 6 kids are in training with her, which seems shady, as in lots of turnover. I'm afraid the only roofs she will sell will be dubious storm damage jobs. Unless things change drastically, she won't get a commision here.

What do you think? Scam?

And after all that, when you get a roofing quote these days don't they need to measure?

Aha! My granddaughter said "contractor" a few times and thought it was the same thing as a "crew". I asked how many crews they had and she didn't know. This may be the scam!

Thanks for the input. I'm so tired of a$$holes that put so much effort into avoiding honest work!

Around here we have an outfit called "Power", Used to be (Power Windows and Siding). They do a ton of advertising and real flashy hard sells. They're quotes are also about double what a reputable local guy would do it for. I think they do have their own crews (or at least they've got crews with their logo's on the truck) though.
My buddy owns a roofing company, he's got three crews and has been doing it for 20 years. I was surprised when I asked him that he always measures, always gets up on the roof to look and see. I figured by now he could just look at a house and know exactly how big it is, particularly since most houses around here are pretty cookie cutter. He said though that its not worth the chance of missing something and getting burned.

Yes your grand daughter is working for a company looking to scam insurance companies. It's as simple as that.

It makes no difference whether someone is trying to scam a person or a business. People who do this type of work are crooks. I hope you can convince her to get an honest job before she is long down this path. However, working for an honest roofing company estimating work for them would likely involve her climbing a ladder daily to measure each job.

A friend has a very successful business. He says his brother is far more successful. The brother exclusively does roofs for very high end homes, clients that have high expectations. When I say he "does roofs" I mean he measures them with aerial imagery. And then the work gets bid to reliable contractors that do the actual work. He works from home.

I'm in the wrong business.

I hope you can convince her to get an honest job before she is long down this path.

I hope so too. I'll give her a little time before I give much input. Better she sees it herself.

Her presentation today was pretty poor. Lack of sales commisions will turn her from it pretty quickly.

For several years larger roofing companies have been using internet photos to quote roofs. I was told if the person doing the quoting got on the roof, they were a roofer, and roofer workman comp premiums applied to their wages. And roofer workman comp can be over 100%. Now I believe there are drones than can video and estimate a roof.

Around here we have an outfit called "Power", Used to be (Power Windows and Siding). They do a ton of advertising and real flashy hard sells. They're quotes are also about double what a reputable local guy would do it for. I think they do have their own crews (or at least they've got crews with their logo's on the truck) though.
My buddy owns a roofing company, he's got three crews and has been doing it for 20 years. I was surprised when I asked him that he always measures, always gets up on the roof to look and see. I figured by now he could just look at a house and know exactly how big it is, particularly since most houses around here are pretty cookie cutter. He said though that its not worth the chance of missing something and getting burned.
Power is banned from my property after they wasted so much of my time with their ridiculous quote. They had 18 sheets of plywood in the quote “in case it’s needed”, and if they don’t need it, will leave it for me. When I kept saying no, they lowered their price several times. Even after kicking them out, the younger salesman came back with an even lower quote! I never do business with someone that lowers a price without removing something of value, just shows they were trying to screw me. That ordeal lasted three hours. The sad part is I got a call from my daughter’s godmother saying they used Power for windows and were very happy with them, I wonder how much they screwed them.

The next company I called was half the price of Power, no high pressure sales tactics, and the entire sales call lasted about 15 minutes, and he was able to do it without a flashy Powerpoint presentation. I gave him my business, and in the past few years, both of my neighbors used them too.

My advice is to learn about roofs. What materials are going to be used? Lean enough to spec your roof.
Real Grace I&W. What type of flashing and drip edge, underlayment.
I was surprised when I got the shingles for my roof from ABC Supply[big roofing supply house]
Lifetime shingles same brand as HD had, completely different thicker product.

I have removed several professionally installed shingle roofs, and witnessed several others.

All were improperly nailed
High nailed
Done so that there is never an accidental visible nail head for the customer to see, but invalidates warranty and causes bucking and on steep pitches shingles can fall out.
If you see a shingle on a roof sliding out, high nailed. Should be 8 or 10 nails through every shingle, 4 or 5 that attach the shingle, 4 or 5 that are from the shingle above it.

I don't believe there are any quality 3 tab shingles out there, so whether you like it or not, archs are a better shingle.
No reason to go with a chain. Just added markup.

quick check says maybe 3 grand in material on a 1600+ sq foot roof. Labor is twice parts.

find a friend who knows better and has a referral on a local roofer.

Around here at least, you can't get a roofing company that isn't doing the storm damage claim. I have multiple roofs that are just worn out but I can't find a contractor that will do them. The fly-by-night quoted without setting foot on site places are 2x or 3x what the job should be. And I've got $100k worth of roofs to do. Everyone is just chasing the storm damage.

Here in the Portland, Maine area there is one roofer who advertises everywhere. They are legitimate, as they use their own crews and have been around a while. They do a lot of work.

But…

Some years back, a neighbor needed a new roof. He called this roofer. The roofing company owner himself showed up, got out of his truck, they stood there talking for a couple of minutes, and the guy said “$6,000”. (I did say it was a few years ago.)

The neighbor asked if maybe he didn’t want to walk around to the back, as there was an extension there not visible from the street. “Nope, still $6,000.” Does that include you tearing off the old roof? “No, that would bump it to $7,000”. Still no measurements and no walking around the back.

When questioned further, the roofer said that he had been in business long enough to pretty accurately estimate the size of the roof without measuring, and that his primary concern was whether or not one of his crews could do the job in a single day.

The neighbor went with someone else.

Real simple NEVER DO BUSS WITH FAMILY

Well, i likely won't because it's likely this place is a scam. I doubt my granddaughter will be there long enough to matter.

I can sympathize with your thought. But if this place wasn't a scam and the price was right, I wouldn't hesitate. Two reasons why. She'd never try to screw us over. And it's not a personal transaction.

I'd love to help her if I could. It's just not in the cards this time.

They come around after every storm
"We are in the neighborhood doing a reroof
Because we are already here we can give you a new roof with no out of pocket,we will handle your insurance co..."
First I have a no soliciting sign on my front door,a big dog that usually from his bark scares theses guys away
Their pitch is borderline illegal,and if the customer is over 65,another law trending on breaking
I told them there is a lawyer up the street and a county Inspector also nearby
The group suddenly had a little meeting at the strert,apparently a phone call made then their ride showed up
Worse than a used car salesman
Help your granddaughter find a different job

This is why so many insurance companies - who are crooks themselves - are no longer accepting insurance policies for roofs over 5 years old. That sounds odd, but it's true - the criminals have figured out that they only want to take money in and never pay it out. One group of crooks - people who claim storm damage - have put the hurt on the other group of crooks - insurance companies too hard.

ABS Supply...interesting story...I think they are the largest supplier of roofing materials in the USA. Started by a guy who had no pot to piss in, but plenty of piss. Became a huge firm, tons of revenue. I think he was in his 60's when one day his own roof had some issue so he climbed up the ladder - alone - to look at it, fell off and killed himself.

The roofing people that operate under the "storm damage" replacement is pretty common. What happens next is the homeowner's HO insurance rate goes up afterwards.

We did the roof on my mothers house. I had a few contractors come out and estimate. Every one went up on the roof and had a look.

In the weeks before doing the roof, I had to trim back several trees, and actually take one completely down so the actual roof could be replaced. During the course of me doing tree work one afternoon, a young person in the same sort of situation as the OP's grand daughter was canvassing the neighborhood and attempted to try and sell me a roof. Stating that my mothers roof was showing "storm damage". Said person did not go up on the roof and look.

My mothers roof was easily 30 years old (asphalt shingles) and was simply at its end of life.

My mothers roof was easily 30 years old (asphalt shingles) and was simply at its end of life.

I did have another roof replaced about 25 years ago. Same thing. Worn out.

I was surprised when the estimator stammered and stuttered and said with some trepidation "I'm sorry to tell you your roof is just at the end of life and I can't endorse an insurance claim." I said, "I didn't plan on making one. The roof is 30 years old!" He said "I can't tell you how glad I am you said that. Most people throw a fit when I tell them I won't help them scam their insurance company."

Sometimes, not always, it takes two to tango!

Back