What's new
What's new

OT: drilling out an ignition lock

That wonder lock...do you load in the ward plates to match or do you give the factory a key number and they load it before shipping?
I looked into switching the wards so both of our Fords would use the same key. There is no way to change the wards after the cylinder is installed because the cylinder is destroyed to remove it. It might not be destroyed all the way possibly just the locking pin/tab is cut off.
Bill D

Back in the 1970s, a friend told me of what his father had done to prevent car theft, which was rampant at the time. He installed a polite little brass fuel-line cutoff valve on the floor next to the driver's seat. He would shut the fuel off when closing down for the day. There was just enough fuel in the carburetor for the car to be started and driven off, but not enough to go anywhere. At which point now the very exposed thief would abandon the car and run away. Happened a couple of times, as I recall. The car was never successfully stolen.

The TR3 gained a few feet of "welding cable" and a recycled switch off the bridge-boat tribe under the seat.

Controlled the sole and only "ground" to the frame that the battery and all-else relied on!
The perps EXPECT the main lead to be tricked.
Yeah, that would work. The key being that the thief is under considerable pressure, and cannot spend any time on figuring non-standard setups out. So that's the general key.

That wonder lock...do you load in the ward plates to match or do you give the factory a key number and they load it before shipping?
I looked into switching the wards so both of our Fords would use the same key. There is no way to change the wards after the cylinder is installed because the cylinder is destroyed to remove it. It might not be destroyed all the way possibly just the locking pin/tab is cut off.
Bill D
i guess i was not too clear above. the gadget cuts the platelets in situ. by turning the original key they get cut.

i have to drill out the cylinder on a cherokee xj. does anybody have experience/advice? how hard is the stuff? should i grind out the chromed front
cover?
Park it over night in just about any inner city and some one will drill it out for you or use a slide hammer, only problem is your car won't be there in the morning.

Back