What's new
What's new

OT - Evicting a Drug Dealing Tenant

Econdron

Hot Rolled
Alright guys, little background first. I'm married, almost 5 years, we have a 1 year old kid, and hopefully more to come. We moved into the house we're in now shortly after getting married, so we've been here for a little over 4 years. The stairs come up right next to the back wall of the garage so we took the opportunity to turn the basement into an apartment. Had a separate entrance built, leading into the garage, put locks on the door leading into the remainder of the house, and put the essential kitchen appliances down there. Had everything inspected and approved by the village as well, so not like we're doing something shady here. The tenant never enters into our portion of the house.

We've had great tenants these last 4 years. This last guy had a well paying job, but was going through some tough times. Was going through a divorce, fighting for partial custody of his kid, etc. Everything was fine until he lost his job. Instead of finding a new job (which he was more than capable of), he decided to file a lawsuit against them saying they should be paying his workers comp, because he was injured on a jobsite while working for them. So these last 6 months or so, he's been getting paid a decent amount just from workers comp, and of course his back is still hurting. Even this wasn't so bad, a little sketchy, but he paid rent and didn't bother us too much.

Well then his attitude starts changing, he starts dressing differently, and he just seems high all the time. First major incident: He totals his vehicle about a mile away from the house. I don't know the specifics, but he somehow rolled his van going around a 25 MPH turn. He walks back to the house after everything is sorted out with the police, then remembers he left his backpack in the van, so he hops in my wife's car (who leaves the keys in her car when parked in the garage) and drives over there before they tow it. It was in the middle of the night, so he didn't want to wake us... It's an understandable story if it's true, but he left waffle pieces all over the car, syrup over everything, and there's a big white stain in the back seat. We find out he took the car not because he told us, but because my wife found the mess. We were probably too nice about the situation, and sort of let it slide, but we made sure it was understood that he is never allowed to take our cars without permission.

Fast forward a month, he takes my wife's car again. You would think she would learn not to leave the keys in the car, but that's besides the point. Same thing, doesn't tell us, leaves a mess in the car, and the passenger side mirror is busted. At this point we know there's something wrong with the guy, and for all we know he used her car to rob a bank. To cover our butts, we file a police report. He admits everything to the officer, but still he claims he just took the car to get some cigarettes, but somehow managed to use up 1/4 tank of gas, and hit the mirror on the garage pulling out. He's charged with trespassing, $1,500 fine, up to 1 year in jail if we press charges. We told him we wouldn't press charges if he packs up and leaves in the next week or two, which he agrees.

Now it's 3 weeks later, he actually wrote us a letter a couple days ago saying how sorry he is, and that he really does respect our property, but adds a little section in the note where he says he talked to his friends at the police station and the way the trespassing charge was handled was not done correctly, and that he's not worried about the charges. The basement isn't sound proof, we can hear him, and in the last couple days have heard him mention several times to his "friends" who come over about his drug sales, and how he's now a drug dealer. Not sure what kind of drugs, probably just narcotics that he gets for his "back pain". We see cars pull up to the driveway, he walks out and walks back in and they drive away. Always at night.

The way I see it, I have 3 options: Decide to proceed with pressing charges for trespassing. I'm not sure how this would work, but can see it not quite working out how I would hope. But maybe this is the quick and easy solution. Not sure if he would even be sent to jail, or just fined? I'm guessing he can still probably deny the charges and say he was coerced into admitting it.

Or possibly see if I can get the police to catch him in his drug dealings. This one would for sure get him out of the house, but might be difficult to prove. But I've also been told this can really screw up property values, and we were planning on moving soon.

Lastly, I could proceed with just a standard eviction procedure. This would probably take about 6-8 weeks, possibly a little faster considering some of the circumstances, but also possibly slower if he fights it. He hasn't paid this months rent.

Yes, I know this is a machining forum, but we've got one of the smartest, most diversified groups out there! Hopefully some of you have some sort of experience in this?

This guy isn't the same guy he used to be. I'd like to say he would never do anything to hurt us, but I would have also said he never would have hopped in one of our cars for a joy ride, let alone do it twice. So I want to make sure I'm safe about this. I do know he has several friends who are involved with his dealings that stay here occasionally over night.

Start eviction, unpaid rent, just do it. Anything else is wasting your time. By all means try getting him busted later, but get the eviction rolling, over here they can go on for a fair while, hence being nice guy could easily just hurt you down the road.

Start eviction, unpaid rent, just do it. Anything else is wasting your time. By all means try getting him busted later, but get the eviction rolling, over here they can go on for a fair while, hence being nice guy could easily just hurt you down the road.

That was my thought as well. My uncle is an eviction attorney, but he works right over the border in Wisconsin and isn't licensed to work in Illinois.

I would politely tell him he is leaving in the morning.
Be there to help him carry his stuff out to the curb.
Wish it was that easy! I'm technically legally not even allowed to enter "his premises" without his permission.

I had to evict a drug dealer once. Thinking about it I figured the last thing the guy would want was a run-in with the law. This is a mobile home park and we don't have leases. So I just gave them a letter of eviction. I told him if he did not comply I would start the legal process which I figure a drug dealer would not want. He left no problem. Mostly we have good people but once in a while you get stuck with a looser. Sad thing was in this case I called the cops to see what they would do. They said they knew and were watching him. So I told them they would need to start watching him someplace else. Sad they don't do their job.

you live around a school? selling drugs near a school is a huge no no. I do not recall the radius 500 yards? ? ?

You need to let the police know that he is selling drugs and he is a tenant and you are not an accomplice to what he is doing. Otherwise when he does get busted it will be even more grief you have to deal with.

This guy is on a downhill slide and you need to get away from him.

Get one of those million candlepower spotlights. Start watching and when he starts doing deals, shine the tenant and the recipient. If they move the deals inside start shining the the buyers as they arrive and leave. Do this for a while, and then offer to let your tenant out of his lease.

You need to let the police know that he is selling drugs and he is a tenant and you are not an accomplice to what he is doing. Otherwise when he does get busted it will be even more grief you have to deal with.

This can end very badly. I have seen people with tenants living in extra rooms or even attached units have everything they own seized when the person gets busted selling drugs. Everything in the residence is considered to be profits from an illegal enterprise until proven otherwise.

It is at that point that you have no possessions that you will find out how little your local officials care about your 'stuff'.

In Ill, if the land owner knows of the drug dealing and does not show good faith in remedying the situation, the authorities have legal right to seize the property.

Watch the movie "Pacific Heights". This will help put things in perspective.

You are being to nice to the guy. People with substance abuse problems don't think straight and will only continue to take as much and as long as they are allowed. You and your wife are enabling him to be who he is.

This can end very badly. I have seen people with tenants living in extra rooms or even attached units have everything they own seized when the person gets busted selling drugs. Everything in the residence is considered to be profits from an illegal enterprise until proven otherwise.

It is at that point that you have no possessions that you will find out how little your local officials care about your 'stuff'.

this is why I suggested getting them involved asap.

Staying quiet and knowing something bad is happening is worse than letting the authorities know and keeping a record of the conversations.

he actually wrote us a letter a couple days ago saying how sorry he is, and that he really does respect our property, but adds a little section in the note where he says he talked to his friends at the police station and the way the trespassing charge was handled was not done correctly, and that he's not worried about the charges.

You are dealing with a psychopath, sociopath, or most likely a narcissist.. We all know the term Narcissist, a self centered prick... DIG into it,
its some VERY SCARY dirty dark stuff..

What tells me this. "feel sorry for me...." Along with a threat, that he is so important that nothing will happen to him, with some other BS,
cops are his friends etc etc.... He doesn't see that as a threat to you, its a fact he made up in his head, but he's so important, nothing will
happen to him, and since you see him (everybody sees him) as great and important, its not a threat...

Get him gone, anyway you can.. It'll flip and flop from sob story to threat over and over...

ROBOT face, never show him any anger, voice, facial anything, emotionless robot... NEVER praise him, don't even say Thank You or Appreciate It. He's feeding off of your emotion, he wants praise, and if he can't get that.. Anger, if he can't get any of that, he'll hopefully move on.

If I'm right, this guy always looks you right in the eye, even if you are scolding him or chewing him out.. A person with a conscience will avert
their eyes when they are getting a scolding, they actually feel bad... Their emotional mind is stuck in toddler mode, that's why they stare. Its
not making eye contact, its staring. Wear sunglasses when you have to talk to him, fucks them all up when they can't stare into your eyes like a
2 year old.

Regardless of how screwed up in the head this guy is... You will probably be time and money ahead to kiss his ass and pay him to move.
Weather he uses that money to buy drugs or get a new apartment, who cares, he's out of your life... And if he comes back... Robot Face.

I do not understand why it is not car theft? I guess since he returned the car that makes it okay. He stole the tank of gas and did not rent the car from you so why is that alright? Cost of cleaning the car and mirror breakage should make it something more then trespassing.
I am sure that if I borrowed the police chief's car and broke his mirror I would be in jail in any town in the world.
Bill D.

My understanding is the best way to get the cops, or any public official, to do something is to have as many neighbors as possible report his illegal activities. As much as possible. If they ignore multiple complaints the cops can get in trouble for not enforcing the law and/or you claiming selective enforcement. If they have multiple complaints from multiple people about one individual/situation it starts to look like they are being paid for a job they are not doing.
Can you say lawsuit for dereliction of duty.
Of course if it is only one person complaining they can do a quick inspection and decide to ignore further complaints from the one crazy neighbor. Get multiple separate complaints over time and it is impossible to ignore the situation.
Bil lD.
Bill D.

You simply can't deal with a druggie, period. You will always lose by being polite. Do you have firearms in the house? You should. Drugs and guns go hand-in-hand. Contact law enforcement NOW. Get a couple of security cameras that are of high enough quality to read license plates at night. Install security lights if necessary. That will surely make his visitors think twice. Start the eviction process and expect him, or his clients, to get violent.

Wish you were in Louisiana , I helped a buddy out that found out one if his employees was dealing drugs on his property and using the company vehicle to mule.
I asked him to note the times that he sees the dealings going on or when he noticed the company vehicle gone with the gps disabled .
I gave that information to my buddies in natcotics who set up on this guy and sure enough caught him dealing on the property and getting the dope from his supplier. In the end everyone was happy, I saved my buddy the cost of unemployment insurance, my natcotics buddies got a good case.
I would document the things I have mentioned, then find the local narcotics task force and give them this easy case. Then when he is arrested, evict him cause dealing drugs is a violation of the lease I'm sure.

First, no matter what, you're probably going to have to serve a 30 day notice, its a waiting period for you that I don't think you're going to be able to avoid; so don't wait until the situation becomes unbearable, do it immediately. There is a lot of dotting your "i"s and crossing your "t"s in an eviction, so get an attorney to make sure you don't miss anything. Get them, the attorney, to have a pro serve him with the notice, you'll avoid problems down the line by doing so.

Then and only then, give some consideration as to how you can shorten up the time it takes to evict him. If it were me alone in the house, that would be one thing, but with a child and wife in the house, I'd offer him a little bit of cash to surrender the apartment, if he has a security deposit offer to return it the minute he leaves. Make sure your attorney gives you something in writing for him to sign.

You might be able to get some traction with law enforcement, but again I wouldn't be concerned with this as much as I'd be concerned with starting the eviction proceeding.

Years ago, when I had to do evictions in Illinois and Wisconsin, I'd show up with this giant goon, who carried a pistol where they could see it, and tell them it would be a bad thing for them if they were there when we got back.. No one was ever there when we got back. No one ever filed a complaint, if if they had they wouldn't have gotten far with it. Now days If I did that, I'd end up in jail. Don't mess around with this, don't go cowboy, but don't procrastinate. This can be an unpleasant month or so, or it can be a life changer in a bad way.

I'm sorry for your troubles

Billy

Last edited:
It wasn't auto theft because she left the keys in the car. If you leave your house unlocked and somebody comes in, it's not breaking and entering because they didn't break anything.

I went down the rental road one time. Never EVER again. If you have a dozen or so rentals, the good ones can cover a bad one or two. If you have one rental, a single bad renter can screw you out of a year's profit by not paying and trashing the property. If that guy is making meth, you could have a massive toxic waste cleanup bill on your hands, already. Start the eviction tomorrow, first thing is to send a letter letting him know he is behind on rent and how much. Next, get the cops involved and tell THEM he claims he can't be touched and that he is openly dealing drugs out of your apartment, and that you have already started the eviction process. I'm sure they will find all this very amusing, given his history so far.

Back