What's new
What's new

OT Front load washer spider assembly

mjk

Titanium
We have an LG FL washer maybe 10 years old.
I replaced the drain pump about 4 years ago and I was impressed by the fit of the sheet metal and how the machine was actually serviceable without breaking something. I may have spent 45 minutes to replace the pump.
I wasn't concerned with the pump failure at the time as we have dogs with long hair which was commonly trapped in the pump filter that was accessible from the lower front of the machine(monthly).
During one of the filter cleanings a couple years ago I somewhat remember pulling out what appeared to be a piece of aluminum.
At the time I probably thought I left something in my pocket that it ended up in the wash.
No damage fast forward to last night.
Open the washer after running my work clothes and there is a hint of smoke in the drum.
No fire, clothes are damp as normal.
I figured the pump was about to or did burn up.
First step in removing the pump is draining what water is left in the pump and removing the pump filter.
I find several large pieces of what appear to be cast aluminum.
This time I thought about it a little more, first I knew I didn't have anything in my pocket, 2nd there's no way the (3) pieces about 1/4" x 1-1/2" could have squeezed thru the perforations in the washer drum.
Did a Google search for "metal pieces in the washer filter" and find this is a common problem with FL washers as the "spider assembly" the rotating part connected to the motor that holds the drum is typically made from pot metal or aluminum, and is prone to corrosion/failure.
I'm looking at about $200 in parts and 5 hours of my time (with beverage breaks)

Anyone else replaced one and have anything to share

Did that several years ago, but the model I had you had to replace the drum also. The detergent rots away the pot metal spider. When mine went out it took the bearing also. Didn't know it for a while, then just kept getting louder and louder when spinning. Finally junked it and went back to a top load. Much better all around.

I think the seals go bad to allow the detergent to even get to the aluminum spider assy. This detergent will also wash any lube from the bearings and then the noise starts. I have new bearings and seals to put in my front loader, it sounds like a jet engine on high speed spin...

"I think the seals go bad to allow the detergent to even get to the aluminum spider assy"

The spider assy is exposed to the wash liquid.

"I think the seals go bad to allow the detergent to even get to the aluminum spider assy"

The spider assy is exposed to the wash liquid.

Then in that case it should have been made of more corrosion resistant material or given a protective coating. If it were my unit that needed repair I might be tempted to lightly bead blast the spider and coat it with moisture cure polyurethane before installing it.

I often try to correct original deficiencies when repairing things to prevent a future "do-over".

I had given it some thought as to correcting the deficiency.
That would be sad to think only a coat of a sealant/paint/coating would fix it
One of those problems that unless you know to look for it, why would you.
Much apparently depends on water softness, detergent used and whether you "air out" the tub between uses.

I should really go overboard and machine a new one out of stainless....

I'm planning on replacing with the OEM part along with new seals and bearings.

A little research into water chemistry may extend the replacements service life.
If it makes it another 10 years, I'll just replace the washer

If your washer has the filter at the bottom check for aluminum/pot metal fragments or chunks
I'm lucky that the spider has not catastrophically failed and destroyed the plastic tub

I had given it some thought as to correcting the deficiency.
That would be sad to think only a coat of a sealant/paint/coating would fix it
One of those problems that unless you know to look for it, why would you.
Much apparently depends on water softness, detergent used and whether you "air out" the tub between uses.

I should really go overboard and machine a new one out of stainless....

I'm planning on replacing with the OEM part along with new seals and bearings.

A little research into water chemistry may extend the replacements service life.
If it makes it another 10 years, I'll just replace the washer

If your washer has the filter at the bottom check for aluminum/pot metal fragments or chunks
I'm lucky that the spider has not catastrophically failed and destroyed the plastic tub

We have a top loader and always keep the lid open for air circulation when not in use.

Note the spider is cunningly stamped 3 on one leg, sometimes all are numbered, try to replace in the same position or you may get vibration, add a little silicone lube ( plumbers silicone not rtv) gel to the lip seal, and above all rod the bearing cavity drain hole out!, they block and bearings fail, it’s a 5 mm through hole to behind the motor plate, lube the flange when fitting the front rubber bellows, other than that don’t strip the drum screws, impact wrenches are a bit vicious, the 12v compact are ok, turned down,
Other than that easy job really, spider fail is usually the replacement in the wrong orientation so the vibration corrosion thing gets it, leaks don’t help any either, I have one to do tomorrow, or redo, it’s vibrating! Not my work btw
Mark

We have an LG FL washer maybe 10 years old.
I replaced the drain pump about 4 years ago and I was impressed by the fit of the sheet metal and how the machine was actually serviceable without breaking something. I may have spent 45 minutes to replace the pump.
I wasn't concerned with the pump failure at the time as we have dogs with long hair which was commonly trapped in the pump filter that was accessible from the lower front of the machine(monthly).
During one of the filter cleanings a couple years ago I somewhat remember pulling out what appeared to be a piece of aluminum.
At the time I probably thought I left something in my pocket that it ended up in the wash.
No damage fast forward to last night.
Open the washer after running my work clothes and there is a hint of smoke in the drum.
No fire, clothes are damp as normal.
I figured the pump was about to or did burn up.
First step in removing the pump is draining what water is left in the pump and removing the pump filter.
I find several large pieces of what appear to be cast aluminum.
This time I thought about it a little more, first I knew I didn't have anything in my pocket, 2nd there's no way the (3) pieces about 1/4" x 1-1/2" could have squeezed thru the perforations in the washer drum.
Did a Google search for "metal pieces in the washer filter" and find this is a common problem with FL washers as the "spider assembly" the rotating part connected to the motor that holds the drum is typically made from pot metal or aluminum, and is prone to corrosion/failure.
I'm looking at about $200 in parts and 5 hours of my time (with beverage breaks)

Anyone else replaced one and have anything to share

just did one on a samsung, buy new bolts for everything. clean everything while you are in there. being you smelled it, id bet there are other parts needing replacement also. will get $$ fast if the whole plastic/glass fiber tub needs replacement

Tub needs replacement it will be time a new washer

Bolts holding spider will be replaced.
Sheet metal screws and screws going in plastic will be reused.

Smell was from the pump attempting to chew up the pot metal.
I have run the washer after cleaning out the filter/pump and the pump worked fine and no smoke odor afterwards.
With the dog hair that we deal with I consider the pump an accepted loss every few years, and relatively easy to replace

So Mark if you do a fair amount of these is this the weak link in the front loads?
LG's have any known weak points?

I buy off them, and a little firm down the road, more expensive but I feel I need to put business to small firms, use it or loose it.
I have 2 L G washers, a 7 and a 12kg, the 7 is over 20 yrs old I think, the 12 is new, no trouble with either besides the wear of a large family, they’ve been exemplary, one tip, increase the water level a bit, they run very low so sometimes the load gets imbalanced, that’ll wear things, there’s a cross head on the back of the pressure switch, turn clockwise to bump the water up, do it bit at a time till it’s about 1 1/2 above the bottom of the door glass
Mark

I kept my old Maytag going for 35 years, the tub finally developed pinhole leaks which would have taken a new tub to fix as epoxy was not holding up. Since I figured I got all my money out of it, I asked around and bought a new top loading Speed Queen, with a 10year warranty about $1100 iirc. Nobody I know with front loaders is completely happy with them.

............. Nobody I know with front loaders is completely happy with them.

Don't know you, but we are happy as a clam in mud with the Whirlpool "Duet" we have. It must be 15 years old or more, and just recently started making some noise. I figured its a bearing, but have not gotten into it yet. Machine is apparently German made, per the tag, so cannot be too bad.

Front loaders get things cleaner, with less water left in the washed stuff, so the dry cycle is short and cheap.

Most do not know to leave the door open to avoid making a mold incubator.

Just an update, wife "asked" me to not fix it.
Went with a new LG 5.5 cu ft top load, see thru lid.
She likes it better already as it has a huge basket/drum that will do blankets and the like.
The front load would do them but it was a struggle some times getting the load balanced.

Front load machine will be parted out before scrapping

5.5!? NOICE!

Our bravos XL only does 5.3,
Does your washer have the center agitator like most or a “button” style in the bottom?

The bravos has a button at the bottom, no agitator

I guess you call it a button.
No center standing agitator
Its 50% quieter than the front load evan with an isolation platform I added before installing the front load. There was an occasional harmonic that would go thru the house when the front load hit top speed with a certain size load. I had added a multi layer plywood platform with neoprene rubber layer on top as the laundry is on the other side of the living room. With top load previous to replaced front load, the tv would sometimes wiggle. From looking at comments about front load support requirements I made it a point not make the house a landing strip.
Not sure what difference will be in water consumption, but qty of loads to do normal week dropped in half because of tub size.
The clothes are almost as dry as the front load when you remove them.

Back