What's new
What's new

OT - Gun Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

latheman78

Hot Rolled
There is a huge difference between debating and arguing. While in school we had one class where debating was part of the program. The subject might be real world or fictional and sometimes the teacher would assign a position to defend, often one contrary to the student's normal beliefs. Quite an educational experience to have to debate while promoting and defending the other guy's position.

We were graded on technique and resorting to insult or ridicule cost plenty of lost points. Likewise, offering a weak defense because you didn't believe in the position you were assigned resulted in a low score.
I think the reason things get so heated these days is people debate without using facts.
Too many people trust misinformation because it came from a trusted source. Unbiased sources that just lay out the facts are very rare these days. I was not stocked but was appalled at the latest anti gun talking points that came from the president of the USA.
No need to post the exact nonsense that came out of his mouth, in summation he referred to a .223 so called "assault rifle" round as high caliber. Then back at the White House he said he wants to ban 9mm guns as a doctor showed him X-rays where a 9mm
would blow your lungs out you back where a .22 would lodge in the lung and you could be saved with an operation. Now he wants an assault weapon ban. Don't you think they need to define what they are banning first? How many people will consider Biden knowledgeable about guns do to how they vote, if they have no personal knowledge.

I don't now the answer to the problem we have now. I wish I did.

None of the folks involved in the push for new legislation have even mentioned the mental health aspect of this scourge we have in America now.

Young men are giving up. They're letting us know just how it feels to have no good outlook for their future.

As for the "assault weapons ban". None of these folks can even define an assault weapon, let alone make meaningful legislation regarding them.

When they start making the folks that guard THEIR kids, their wives and their houses stop using those same weapons, then I'll be more inclined to listen.

Until then, find another way to mend the minds of these young folks.

I didn’t contribute much to this site previously but I enjoyed reading it. Some views I agreed with, some I didn’t. Anybody who really pissed me off, I just flicked by on my IPad. It’s really not that difficult.
At the moment it’s not worth reading. It has become so anodyne as to be pointless. Whoever is in charge might as well wrap it up now.

Regards Tyrone.

Assault is a behavior, not a single item. One can be assaulted by a claw hammer, a rolled up newspaper, or a M1 Abrams tank. It's a hard heart that kills, the "assault weapon" is merely a means to that end. You can even be verbally "assaulted".

We used to have mass shootings over here about once every ten years. In spite of having several terrorist outrages recently none of them involve shootings. See if you can work out why that is.

Regards Tyrone.
We're an extremely sick society when it comes to guns. Oddly enough, we're very pro-birth, it's after that event that we don't care if people die.

We're an extremely sick society when it comes to guns. Oddly enough, we're very pro-birth, it's after that event that we don't care if people die.
It seems to me that the deaths are another form of tax on guns the US is only too willing to pay. I can’t honestly see anything changing. Sorry to be so pessimistic.

Regards Tyrone.

It seems to me that the deaths are another form of tax on guns the US is only too willing to pay. I can’t honestly see anything changing. Sorry to be so pessimistic.

Regards Tyrone.
YOU pessimistic?? Hah, you're a Spring Lamb when it comes to pessimism. I, on the other hand, am a grizzled old Ram with a bad kidney and lumbago when it comes to anticipating the worst possible outcome. A reverse Pangloss, if you will...

We used to have mass shootings over here about once every ten years. In spite of having several terrorist outrages recently none of them involve shootings. See if you can work out why that is.

Regards Tyrone.
Because in 1997 the crown decided to revoke firearm privileges from her majesty's subjects. All firearms having already been registered, they were easy enough to confiscate... Just my guess anyway.

Unfortunately it looks like quite a knife problem out there though. Evil people wanting to hurt others never ends.

"In March 2019, knife crime in the UK reached a decade high; and tragically many victims where under 18. In 2019, 45,632 young people aged 10-17 were sentenced for carrying a knife or offensive weapon in England and Wales, with over 1000 of these weapons found on school property. Everything from machetes, hunting knives, samurai swords and even a modified highlighter pen were seized by police on school grounds, with the youngest offender just 4 years old."

Here is a list of attacks dating 1856 to present day. It has information from all over the world but is not exclusive and does not contain UK data... China has had some seriously violent knife attacks, learn something new every day I guess.

The world has no shortage of disturbed, evil individuals and it is not new. Evil attacks innocence, it always has and always will.

As the wiki list above shows; no amount of object prohibition will stem the tide of violence. If that list is not convincing, consider prison populations. The most secure detention facilities in the world and yet those within still find ways to craft weapons and harm or kill each other.

The first thought among potential victims of any assault is likely one of helplessness, followed by an instant desire for an object of force multiplication by which they may defend themselves.

Evil people attack those who they consider to be helpless, whether it be a child walking home from school, a woman in a parking lot or a classroom.

A society cannot change those who wish to do evil. "More focus on mental healthcare" is almost as silly a pie-in-the-sky solution as banning guns. Not to say mental health isn't important, I just don't see it as an effective solution for overcoming evil people.

Metal detectors, dogs, cops; if children spend their years in school surrounded by extreme measures intended to keep them safe - How will this experience manifest itself in their lives as adults when they are responsible for their own safety and that of their family?

I feel the answer lays - at least in part - in changing our society's acceptance of helplessness.

Children could benefit greatly from training courses on bare-hand fighting a knife wielding attacker, or disarming a gunman.

It may sound crazy but think of it this way... Our society is raising helpless people who are ineffective in the face of violence. Everyone wants to engineer perfect, safe solutions so that children never have to be confronted by violence - Sure, there is work that can be done to improve security but what happens when those solutions fail?

What happens when a person is staring down certain death knowing they have seconds to react but no idea how? Who's fault is that?

Training is everything. It builds confidence and discipline but most of all, it changes an image of helplessness into one of organized, confident strength - a true deterrent of those who prey on the weak.

Last edited:
"It may sound crazy but think of it this way... Our society is raising helpless people who are ineffective in the face of violence."

They're sure raising a lot of people who can't think, and offload that objectionable task to a variety of pillow salesman and other charlatans.

Do we see mass fatalities in England due to knife-waving assailants?

No.

Do we see mass fatalities in the USA due to sickoes and lowlifes who believe all their power resides in their trigger fingers?

Pretty much every day. Every f**king day...

The first step on the mental illness problem will be to deal with all the guys (and it's almost all guys) who feel powerless unless they're armed. Then they feel powerless unless they can strike out against their oppressors.

Which oddly enough, included lots of grade school age children.

Tell me, just where does all this mental illness among gun owners come from?

Take on a guy armed with a knife or take on a guy armed with an AK 47 ? Yeah, that’s a really difficult one.

It’s pointless debate really, you may as well ask Brits to give up drinking tea.

Regards Tyrone.

The average mass shooter was never around guns very much, they just learn online with video games, and then doo a quick purchase shortly before they "Pop off".
Some would like to make it "that easy" a conversation, but are not such games sold elsewhere around the world?

Not a prime suspect in my book, but I would take a lot of the pumped-up anger generated by some [Incel?] boards and say it's a part of the epidemic. But there is ZERO question that the trivial ease of buying mass-killing weapons (and it's being made EASIER in places like TX) gives the self-aggrieved individual of the day his change to wipe out a classroom, a store, a hospital, or whatever target he chooses.

Mass shootings are an uniquely "American" disease in the advanced countries. Hmm, I wonder why?...

Some would like to make it "that easy" a conversation, but are not such games sold elsewhere around the world?

Not a prime suspect in my book, but I would take a lot of the pumped-up anger generated by some [Incel?] boards and say it's a part of the epidemic. But there is ZERO question that the trivial ease of buying mass-killing weapons (and it's being made EASIER in places like TX) gives the self-aggrieved individual of the day his change to wipe out a classroom, a store, a hospital, or whatever target he chooses.

Mass shootings are an uniquely "American" disease in the advanced countries. Hmm, I wonder why?...
That wasn't the point, the point was these shooters are not lifelong gun owners.

"It may sound crazy but think of it this way... Our society is raising helpless people who are ineffective in the face of violence."

They're sure raising a lot of people who can't think, and offload that objectionable task to a variety of pillow salesman and other charlatans.

Do we see mass fatalities in England due to knife-waving assailants?

No.

Do we see mass fatalities in the USA due to sickoes and lowlifes who believe all their power resides in their trigger fingers?

Pretty much every day. Every f**king day...

The first step on the mental illness problem will be to deal with all the guys (and it's almost all guys) who feel powerless unless they're armed. Then they feel powerless unless they can strike out against their oppressors.

Which oddly enough, included lots of grade school age children.

Tell me, just where does all this mental illness among gun owners come from?

We have a variety of issues in America yet we only seem to focus on a few mass killings because of the gun used. There are countless shooting involving hand guns yet we seem to not get all bent out of shape over it. Last month MSNBC reported that over 100K of people in America die of overdose yet we don't seem to be outraged over it. I think one thing our media needs to do is stop showing the shooters face and stop constantly reporting all these shootings. Personally I think we are motivating the next copy cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back