What's new
What's new

OT: Has anyone torn up a shoulder cartilage-how did it go?

I was forewarned that the shoulder is one of the hardest joints to replace, and the recovery time is long and painful, especially when reattaching a muscle that hasn't been used for an extended period. I was advised to let the pain be my guide. When it got to the point I couldn't live with it I should have the surgery done.
Is that what this is for ? to help support the torn muscles ?

brace.jpg

I have full range of motion, full strength and no real deep pain in shoulder.
As time goes on pain has come and went all over the shoulder but it seems that’s just from going tight from the tear.

That is pretty good.

I don’t understand the pain- the deltoid hurts like hell and I figured a muscle tear.

It really is so complicated. I've learned so much about it - through personal pain making me more familiar with the parts, and reading, but still get lost in all the terminology and parts. And I still learn new stuff, like today from this wiki on the deltoid:

A tear and I have no ideal what I should be trying to avoid so I don’t hurt things further.

That is absolutely critical. My initial injury sounded quite a bit like yours. But then I "needed" to deal with some leaves in the yard - 150-200 lbs bag that I needed to dump. Since my shoulder muscles weren't working so great, I squatted a bit, straightened my arms completely and lifted with my legs. That pull yanked the humerous while my support structures were injured, and just made everything much, much worse. So my first injury was jamming it into the socket, and this was more of a yanking. After that, any motion that pulled on my extended shoulder was Bad, and set me back. I think I had some tendon strains that took 6+ months to heal.

My pain levels were enough in the following days that I was hooking my thumb in my pocket for support because every step was like jamming a knife in my shoulder. Also, at that point and for weeks after, it was so weak I had trouble with the simple motion of cutting a piece of pizza with a fork.

So yeah, do not injure it further by doing the 'wrong' thing. Figuring that out is difficult. Anything where you try and raise the arm above your head is also bad, and may be that way forever - even after surgery. It isn't that you can't do it, but it is weaker and more prone to injury.

I got a copy of all imaging today but the only computer I have with cd wont load it.
You might use that computer to copy it to thumb drive. That might work as long as it does not need to boot on it.

My wife fell, causing lots of damage to her left shoulder at age sixty. Had repairs in five places. Lucky to have an excellent surgeon. Had good rehab and today, her left arm is stronger than her right. The message here, is be faithful to the rehab. Good luck.
JC

Left shoulder AC separation in 2017 skiing, right one heavy impact from motor cross 2023. 61 years old. They get better but never like new. I skipped the Doc on the second one , he didn’t seem to be much help on the first. I have many braces for body parts and use them as needed. P T or exercise in general helps but don’t over do it. If you are younger there are some heroic surgeries available for $ however recovery from surgery is not much better than from injury.
Try to concentrate on moving deliberately, this is very effective at avoiding injuries. Good luck
I have a big problem providing sympathy for someone who got an injury skiing. 😬

I gotta admit I still love the dogs but the patience is at a low ebb just now.
A couple of weeks after the shoulder I woke up in intense calf pain as yet another big dog had decided the lying on my ankle was just the perfect place to settle down.
Well it tore things up a bit and I’m still limping around …
😡

Ruptured long bicep tendon and SLAP tear six months ago, three Dr's said due to age (63) best to leave it. Still some tenderness and loss of mobility but it doesn't slow me down much.

"Popeye deformity" comes with it.

View attachment 437852
I tore mine at 30-something. No insurance, no fixxy...(doctor said it was fine, but I'm sure he read my paperwork when I went in... 😎 ) Now I'm 60 and while I don't arm wrestle right handers any more, it hasn't affected much life. Same Popeye, chicks dig it...:D

Guys great news from orthopedic doctor.
The tear is small and the joint stable.
He clears me for work without restriction and notes the muscle pain may take out to eight weeks to settle down.
He also notes that the tear may well have been present before this injury.
He said- “surgery never even crossed my mind”.

Guys thanks for holding my hand.
Damn worry to have to stop work for surgery etc

Thanks much all.

I know, I know.
If no photo it didn’t happen…
The tear is at 4:00 and the leaking synovial cyst visible out to the right.

IMG_2596.jpeg

Guys great news from orthopedic doctor.
The tear is small and the joint stable.
He clears me for work without restriction and notes the muscle pain may take out to eight weeks to settle down.
He also notes that the tear may well have been present before this injury.
He said- “surgery never even crossed my mind”.

Guys thanks for holding my hand.
Damn worry to have to stop work for surgery etc

Thanks much all.

I know, I know.
If no photo it didn’t happen…
The tear is at 4:00 and the leaking synovial cyst visible out to the right.

View attachment 438095
Great news, now repeat after me

I am not Superman
I am not infallable.
I will stop being an idiot.
The older I get, the more it will hurt.

Back