What's new
What's new

OT- Have any of you guys torn up a elbow- it ever get better?

I fell in the bathroom once like an old geezer, reason being my kids had been playing with water again and the floor was wet... Hit my elbow real good on the sink, think I moved a muscle over a piece of bone or something as it was sort of sticking or bulging out. I managed to pop it back and it hurt for a few days but no problems since, fortunately.

I think its worth finding out whats wrong- x ray, or even MRI/Cat if neeeded.
Doctors love to prescribe surgery, but a lot of times its not needed.

I had a shoulder thing last year, did get a steroid shot, but, in my case, physical therapy was the ticket. A few months of once a week, and I am back to maybe 95%.

I took an awkward hit in a hockey game where my extended arm got checked into the boards on its own. Being a younger-ish guy (and also an idiot), I decided to "skate it out" and finished off the game. My brother who has a Masters in Biomechanical Engineerring is my initial screen for seeking medical attention or letting things go, and he said that was the right call. Keeping the elbow in use for another 30 minutes or so stopped it from binding up too badly. NSAIDs for 3-4 days and some rest, the pain started to go away. Still nagged me for about a month afterwards though.

No it isn't funny. Read the statistics for people who have had failed surgeries. The human body is capable of making a recovery if you eat good food, exercise, don't aggravate injuries. For a quick fix there are endless medical treatments usually tagged with endless costly tests. The whole point I am trying to make is to educate yourself before you just dive in. And now the politicians have gotten involved and taken away pain medication that works. You can't heal quickly if you are out of your mind in pain.

I had a shoulder thing last year, did get a steroid shot, but, in my case, physical therapy was the ticket. A few months of once a week, and I am back to maybe 95%.

I am going in tomorrow morning- big orthopedics/sports medicine center at Hospital in Annapolis with good reputation.
I am going to push for imaging of some sort even if the doc is saying just rest needed.
The arm is in unworkable shape.
I haven't rested it though- in the middle of heavy work and as these things go - "shake it off" is not working.

I am curious- there is a visible lump on the elbow- I think I’ve got a tear in something or a fracture.

You guys are a charm- letting me winge about my booboo.
I was on a job years back feeding pt plate to a crew dropping them on a skirt wall.
I managed get a splinter into my hand and stopped to get it out- no mercy from the crew- “cry about that on your own time”..
I let and be and later pulled a 1/8” splinter that drove right in a inch deep practically right through my hand.
Those guys were funny- stop cryin and get back to work.

I am going in tomorrow morning- big orthopedics/sports medicine center at Hospital in Annapolis with good reputation.
I am going to push for imaging of some sort even if the doc is saying just rest needed.

Hope it all goes well! Don't let them stick anything in your ass!

Consider that you may not be able to get an MRI, at least not right away. They need to know if you have worked with metal and are at risk for metal in your eyes or elsewhere. Tell'em, and for sure put it in big writing on your sign-in paperwork.

When you leave, get your medical records right then, so you can get a second opinion if necessary. You might ask them about that right up front, and save time.

I understand waiting, but I don't think you should have waited quite so long on this given the symptoms. Sometimes waiting is worse, like when some tendon is out of place. If something is torn, sometimes it is better to get it fixed sooner. With broken bones, you don't want to wait at all. And maybe the healing for this just required a sling for a week or two. These are just wild guesses.

I understand the avoiding croakers. I'm the guy who decided years ago to dig the iron sliver out of his eye himself (hey, it was just in the white part), rather than risk letting some hack student in the ER do it. And that went great. But I haven't had to get an MRI, yet..
Where's our "I was my own doctor" thread?

Yeah-
I think we might all go through life dealing with things in a way that usually works.
Mostly I can stomp and yell at growling dogs and they back off.
Mostly I leave things be when I get injured and mend well enough.
It’s tough when you meet that meaner dog and get bit in the ass.

yup with out imaging it's hard to properly diagnose,
as for the worry about metal in they eye the just do a quick xray to check,
adds about 45 about an hour.

Guys- I got past the doc and I am ok it appears.
In the fall I tore up the Lateral epicondylitis and have a case of “tennis elbow”
The doc says it a severe case but she might have been trying to not make me feel like a wimp...
So what the deal is:
- I have to stop work for a couple of weeks to get in front of it and stop new tears from heading me towards surgery.
- Take prescribed anti inflammatory meds.
- Do physical therapy to keep the joint loose and not use a sling on arm.
- It’s going to take nine months to knit up so the she is not surprised that a six weeks in or so is not enough.

The biggest take home for me is I need to get health insurance.
I am in the middle of a shop upgrade and was starting to think my funds for new machinery was going to have to be put towards a surgery.
I would have gone in much earlier as well if insured and maybe gotten further towards getting this knit by now.
The plus side some of these places are being extremely responsive to cash pay.
I came in on a $200 up front to get in the door and told if I paid today I would get $40% discount on full bill.
So end of day - I saw a orthopedic surgeon and got x-rays done and out the door for $135
I am relieved- I can rest up, finish the shop expansion, knock down these contracts and just make it back to operational shop before the spring rush.

Thanks all

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jYcPBE5PXhs

Edit-
The cortisone question: doc didn’t want to give now but reserve if I don’t respond to treatment.
Prescribed Naproxen (anti inflammatory).
I got a flu shot for the first time in my life while at pharmacy- I think there is a thread on flu shot kicking around here somewhere..

Thanks - Me too.
I am not a hypochondriac but the uncertainty does wear.
I feel greatly relieved- I just have to make sure I get in front of the injury and let it heal.

Glad to hear it! That sounds like about the best possible outcome.

The stress from not knowing - and wondering if you will lose your ability to work permanently, your shop expansion - is also very unhealthy. Plus there is what it all does to your sleep.

It's good that you got a discount. One thing insurance also does, they have almost always negotiated rates with providers. Sometimes if you pay cash it is $200. But if you have insurance, it is $80 or whatever, minus your deduct or co-pay. Sounds like you got pretty close to that. When paying cash it can help to negotiate that up front. You can ask the staff what your price would be if you had blue cross, etc. I once paid cash and got screwed that way. It was like "Oh, you're paying cash? We're going to charge you more than anyone else!"

As another member here mentioned, don't fall behind on your anti-inflam meds. When I had a serious tooth issue I found it easiest to write down when I took them, so I could stay on top of the x in so many hours.

Did the doc say anything about ice or heat? If so you might want to get some of those soft gel ice packs. They don't freeze hard and they're a lot more comfortable and easy to use.

Yes- she said to ice and use the anti inflammatory.
Seems I didn’t effectively use R.I.C.E.
I thought I was by favoring the arm but it wasn’t enough.

The reason you get a cortisone shot for inflammation is because it is an anti-inflammatory. It does no just "mask the pain."

A chiropractor is the last person that should work on a elbow injury -- it's well outside the scope of their training.

A cortisone is an anti-inflammatory, but not in the normal way. Cortisone is a catabolic steroid, which means it breaks down tissue. The issue with that, is that repeated shots to an area can lead to more injuries due to the area being weakened. And not that it would happen from just cortisone shots, but your adrenal glands have a feedback loop, where they can shutdown permanently if there is an exogenous supply. You don't live long without your adrenal glands, and you'd have to be on cortisone/prednisone the rest of your life. But I digress.

As far as a chiropractor, I would disagree. It won't necessarily be just any chiropractor though, they would need to know about deep tisse/ART/GRAST techniques to work it. I actually had an issue with my elbow, that regular doc diagnosed as effect of spinal stenosis. Went to a chiro that did ART, and worked it out after a few visits. Hurts like hell to get done though. Mine ironically, was from turning the lathe chuck key with just my left arm.

Back