What's new
What's new

OT: High performance air filter: K & N. is their air filter oil anything special?

rons

Diamond
I used K & N in the bike touring days because they could be easily cleaned and reused.
K & N filters are supposed to be cleaned and oiled with their magic potions. Is there any magic?

Looks like mineral oil and a coloring agent for the oil. The oil is supposed to thicken up fast after the
cotton element is coated. So as not to run down into the bottom of the air box. Not sure what their
filter cleaner is made from.

Last edited:
I put an oil bath air cleanr on my air compressor. It says use regular 30 weight motor oil. Of course that instruction book is 70 years old.
Bill D

Last edited:
IMO, K&Ns are popular because they pass a good bit of air, but they are not as effective at filtering as oiled foam. Depending on what you are running its worth thinking about.

The K & N oil has added to it something that thickens the oil and keeps it from dripping or bleeding through.
Considering the air movement I can buy that. I do like the idea of a re-usable element.

I asked this question because my filter got wet from water sprayed into the air box. The water hit the MAF sensor.
The MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor is a circular metal plate (4" diameter). And the plate has tubes that the air flows through.
Each very small tube has six sides. Looks like bees built it. Anyway, very fine metal array and it looks like it's coated with something.
Idea is the air passes through the honeycomb. The airflow/pressure at the manifold is converted to a voltage level.
Looks like CRC has a special cleaner too. To me it looks like electrical contact cleaner.

Last edited:
IMO, K&Ns are popular because they pass a good bit of air, but they are not as effective at filtering as oiled foam. Depending on what you are running its worth thinking about.
I've seen the K & N screen over cotton filters covered with foam booties. This was on a four cylinder motorcycle.
And I use a foam wrap-around on my paper air compressor filter.

Those pre-filters are handy because they can be changed out quickly with a fresh clean one.

Oiled enough vs dust load is the key point. New oil, be it filter oil, atf, chain and bar or whatever for every outing (race) probably does not matter. For one oiling every 6 or 12 months I would use the proprietary oil with it's non-flow additives.

If you want 'thickened' oil use Way Oil like 1409......Otherwise understand that Particle Size vs Passage size is the key. A paper filter will always catch more and finer particles....

I find it very hard to believe 'oiled foam' is a more effective filtration media than a paper, or oiled gauze.

There's a lot of dissent over K&N filters....you can look it up online.

On a bike, where the filters are relatively small and expensive, I can see a reusable filter. On an auto, it's a much tougher call to hassle with cleaning and reusing versus tossing.

I do like K&N as in the past they have been willing to make custom filters for me....that has been a 'life saver' on tight applications.

I used to run oiled air filters in my dirt bikes, the oil was very thick and extremely tacky. I think the brand I used was Bel Ray IIRC. Definitely not regular motor oil.

I used to run oiled air filters in my dirt bikes, the oil was very thick and extremely tacky. I think the brand I used was Bel Ray IIRC. Definitely not regular motor oil.
Back in the 70's it was Hypoid 130 gear oil over here in the uk - worked for me on both 2 & 4 strokes.

The more you oil a filter, the more restrictive it becomes. The more dirt it picks up, the more restrictive it becomes.

If you've ever see the K&N advertisements...they brag along the lines that 'our filters become more efficient as they pick up dirt'. Of course they do...but so do everyone else's. More efficient because their passages become smaller...more restrictive, too.

K&N filters are made for racing, playtoys, etc where engine life is not a concern as the engines will be torn apart all the time anyway.
yes they may "flow" more but they are also filtering less.
It would be the last thing to use to maintain engine life, your daily driver, etc.
Another example of race/performance parts being used in the wrong place, but hey ,each to his own.

I used K & N in the bike touring days because they could be easily cleaned and reused.
K & N filters are supposed to be cleaned and oiled with their magic potions. Is there any magic?

Looks like mineral oil and a coloring agent for the oil. The oil is supposed to thicken up fast after the
cotton element is coated. So as not to run down into the bottom of the air box. Not sure what their
filter cleaner is made from.
I cringe whenever people talk about K&N filters. Backstory, I, in years past raced motocross bikes, always looking for the last little bit of power I could squeak out. One day before a race, I wiped a layer of white lithium grease inside the airbox, AFTER the air passed thru the filter. After the race, I took a peek and saw a solid layer of dust and grit stuck to the white grease. I calmly took out the filter and threw it away, never to purchase from them again. Yes the filter was oiled properly, yes it was the correct size, yes they flow more air, and yes, they flow a shit ton more grit into your motor. It's your engine, you do what you want, but they are not worth the teeny tiny more hp you might gain. My advice, toss it, and use stock filter.

I cringe whenever people talk about K&N filters. Backstory, I, in years past raced motocross bikes, always looking for the last little bit of power I could squeak out. One day before a race, I wiped a layer of white lithium grease inside the airbox, AFTER the air passed thru the filter. After the race, I took a peek and saw a solid layer of dust and grit stuck to the white grease. I calmly took out the filter and threw it away, never to purchase from them again. Yes the filter was oiled properly, yes it was the correct size, yes they flow more air, and yes, they flow a shit ton more grit into your motor. It's your engine, you do what you want, but they are not worth the teeny tiny more hp you might gain. My advice, toss it, and use stock filter.
The test conditions were a bit on the dusty side.
Let's see your particle size vs engine damage curve.

Back