What's new
What's new

OT: High performance air filter: K & N. is their air filter oil anything special?

Back in the day, I used to drive about 1000 highway miles per week. I would fill up my vehicle (Tahoe) every day and calculated gas mileage every time I did. I wrote the gas mileage on each gas receipt and saved them for tax purposes.

I bought the Tahoe with 30,000 miles on it. When it reached 70,000 miles, somebody told me to try the K&N filters. I thought it was all hype and that the engine's computer would compensate for changes in manifold pressure, etc. To my surprise, my gas mileage increased immediately from 17.0 to 18.5 This remained my average fuel mileage until I sold the vehicle with 370,000 miles.

Fuel savings with the K&N filter was almost 500 gallons. Engine life? Well it wasn't using a significant amount of oil when I bought it and it wasn't using a significant amount of oil when I sold it. I have no complaints with K&N air filters. BTW, I put one in my Suburban and it made no measurable difference in gas mileage whatsoever.

Back