What's new
What's new

OT how do I figure out how tall my house is?

I live in a Victorian house with a turret that has a stupid steep roof and about a 20" finial on top of it and of course it needs paint. I need to rent a bucket lift to get my fat ass up there to remove it for sandblasting and a paint job. I need to know how high it is so I rent the correct lift the first time. I remember reading about an easy way to calculate something like this, my memory is good but it is short.

Problem is determining the location of the point under the high point. Easy way is measure the length of the shadow then the length of a shadow cast by say a ten foot length of vertical pipe. ratio of pipe shadow(PS) over Pipe length(PL) is the same as house shadow(HS) over house height (HH).
PS/PL= HS/HH
then cross multiply and solve to get equal
PS x HH = PL x HS. You know all but HH

PL x HS
then divide by PS
answer is HH
Bill D
Good thing here is you do not care about the suns angle, It is the same for both measurements as long as you do them within a hour or two. that angle is not in the equation so it does not need to be measured as long as it is the same for both shadows.

As someone who has a ticket to operate lifts ,you need a fair bit more capacity as reach out is also important ........a lift at max height will only reach directly above the platform........find out where the lift will be positioned ,and check the outreach needed ......also allow for stabilizers .

I have no idea what say 20 foot lift means for a lift.
With extension ladders the height assumes worker on top usable step, plus about six feet reach to end of arm. Height and length are not the same since the length has maybe 2-3 foot overlap and does not include the workers reach above his feet. Also the top usable step is one or two down from the topmost step.
For step ladders the height is to the topmost part of the ladder which is not a step. I do not believe step ladders height includes any extra for the workers reach. If it did no step ladder would be called under six foot.
BilLD

Fascinating replies, get a lift that exceeds the total height ( my licence said 48m, all I know when I ran the thing up to maximum I was bloody terrified, and I’m not scared of heights!) we had to go on a cherry picker/ boom lift course in work, they go to scary heights, and moving when extended, I needed clean underwear, good luck ask the lift company to survey and recommend the correct unit, they don’t mind
Mark

The military had a nice simple inclinometer, it looks like a metal longneck beer bottle with no base, you look thru neck and put the crosshairs on the point you are trying to determine height of, no optics, just wire crosshairs. The underside has a protractor with a pendulum to determine angle, with the angle and distance from peak you can determine height with a little math. Should be easy enough to make one that would work well enough. Let me know if you need a pic of it.

I agree with Boslab; you may find out your butt pucker factor may be greater than you expected! Haa
I ran up and down 100' Arial Ladders in the Fire Service for 15 yrs back in the 80' routinely. Rented a 45' lift 4 yrs ago to trim limbs for 2 day weekend. 2 days later, I still couldn't 'pass' a freekn toothpick!!:codger: :ROFLMAO:
But, if you must; as maynah mentioned; Tree Arborist have a method of accurately surveying tree heights; am sure that info is on Google. There are also electronic tape measures available today; wonder if Lowes/Home Depot would hv such item cheap!!! Good Luck!!

BillD had a good answer. Another, quick and dirty, method is to stand back some distance and hold a stick at arms length with the top end aligned with the roof finial (A) and your thumb nail marking the ground line (B) directly below. Rotate your wrist 90 degrees and mark the point on the lawn that aligns with the top of the stick (C). The distance between B and C is your height.

It seems crude, but accuracy within a couple of feet should be possible if you have good sight lines.

I live in a Victorian house with a turret that has a stupid steep roof and about a 20" finial on top of it and of course it needs paint. I need to rent a bucket lift to get my fat ass up there to remove it for sandblasting and a paint job. I need to know how high it is so I rent the correct lift the first time. I remember reading about an easy way to calculate something like this, my memory is good but it is short.

Just for S's&g's would it be easier/ cheaper to pay a guy to fetch it down.

I know the easy route is not the machinist way...

I went for a job with a crowd who had a 80m EWP (250ft)..(Lincon Hire).......the thing fell over some time ago,and a father and son who were photographing rusty iron roofs were killed....roadway collapsed under the stabilizers.

A Leica DISTO on trig setting, range the base, range the top, the display reads height ( there’s a little right angle triangle on the display ) handy little laser
Mark

Back