What's new
What's new

OT- how to burn logs

Not fast but a Swedish torch is a nice way to get rid of big diameter chunks.
Also good for cooking.
Go catch some fish or rabbits, some taters and carrots and enjoy the nights.
The wife likes weekend all night fires up north. We will go through 3 face cords between now and the fall on two nights a week.
A hollow hemlock about 10 inches dia. tipped over the winter before. I cut the main trunk into foot long sections. Natural Swedish candles. I've been burning about 1 a week over last summer and there are still a couple to go. I'm considering boring options for the logs I have that aren't "pre-cored". ;-) The big electric drill and a paddle bit ? Or turn down the MT shank on a big twist drill? HOLD ON TIGHT! We are gonna dance!

"How do I get rid of firewood" ranks pretty high on the First World Problems list.
Three pages of suggestions on how to burn, but I'd rent a wood chipper and dig the nice organic material into my dirt, makes for nice fluffy soil that earthworms and other critters live in, good for corn, peas, radishes, beans, carrots, asparagus, celery and other good stuff.

No wonder I'm fat :(

I concur with EmGo, great compost if you have the time and space.

Living up here, I'm still running my wood stove so it wouldn't be a question as to how to get rid of it. ( Snow on Thursday.... )

For me.....the logs are simply a pain in the ass to be discarded with minimal effort and expense. I planted these trees about 20 years ago as saplings...they grew big and tall, then up and died. WTF.

I wound up using the wafer suggestion...cut them into discs of about 3-4" thick. Obviously, the thinner the disc the better for burning....but the size I cut them to represented the limits of my outlay and one fill-up of gas in my chainsaw. I have more gas, but the effort it takes to refill the saw's tank? Forget about it.

Threw a few wafers in the coals - the same coals that took a soaking Sunday night - and they smoldered a while then eventually started burning. I've been tossing more wafers in, 3 at a time, and they keep turning to ash within about 4 hours. By tomorrow they'll be all gone.

The beauty of the fire pit is I'm not burning on the ground. My neighbor have a spot they burned on the ground, and 5 years after it's still dead ground - nothing grows there. I guess all the ashes and juices leeched into the dirt and made it forever barren.

Had a bunch of logs like that awhile back to dispose of. Wood splitter is still on my wish list, so I arranged them close together in a ring around the pit standing on end and went along burning the other branches and brush I had inside the log ring. It wasn't "fast" but it allowed them to dry out and burn at their own pace, while also keeping the heat in. As they burned down on the inside I kicked them in and they were gone.

When I cleared the back part of my land ,I had to get a permit from the fire service to burn,I used the old dragline with a grab to dump wood into the fire ........permit was for a week ,and supposedly I had to put the fire out at 8pm every night .........after 7 days ,the sand a foot under the surface was glowing red hot .........Another local guy got into a ton of trouble when kids got burned feet in the hot dirt under a fire he had .........mine would have burned their feet clean off.

Drill holes in them? Though I don’t actually understand wanting to burn them when I’m sure someone out there might take the lot away for heating ( imho) might as well get some good out of them
Or take up wood turning?
Mark

A lot of types of wood arent suitable for indoor burning ,they either smell bad ,or make lots of tar that causes problems...this is why firewood merchants always say they have either river red gum or 100 year old ironbark......even if they dont.

Wood burning connoisseurs?? Worse yet, pine snobs?? Up here pine is good, hardwood is gold, cottonwood is a last resort, pallets are kindling, and if it burns, it heats! Very little wood is considered trash where the weather can dip under -40°f (unless it's loaded with bugs!)

But then up here frost bitten toes aren't that uncommon either..... Or fingers.

Personally I prefer coal in a stoker furnace, but that got difficult to find reasonably priced.

ironbark burns just like hard coal ,no smoke,flames,or smell ,just red coals that last all night in a wood stove........red gum is the same ,but its been almost impossible to get for years ,most of the habitat is protected now.

Almond wood is the thing here. old grape vine burn well too. Not the thin young growth. The old gnarly trunks.
Bill D

Last edited:
We have spruce, and douglas fir ( the prefered wood) around my area to burn for firewood. On occasion you find some lodge pole pine. So much standing dead pretty much ready to burn.

Have fires going in the house woodstove and in the shop this morning. Still freezing temps in the morning here.

Good exercise, and keep the old back in shape, "Z" is a shape, right??
boy, can I relate ... some of us spent the best years of our lives slaving over a hot lathe and what thanks do we get ? ... which is why I was pretty excited when this rehab class popped up. It looked great - posture, mid-body strength, balance, flexibility. I was all over it until the boss said if she caught me within twenty miles of suzhou I wouldn't live to see another sunrise :(

She said go here instead but I just couldn't get my heart into it ... :(

HUmmm those videos are hosted by catbox? I see kitty litter jokes coming your way. Hello kitty!
BilL D
Kitten yoga anyone? Similar to goat yoga

HUmmm those videos are hosted by catbox?
Not exactly "hosted", it's just a dropbox place. But it's the only one I have found that doesn't require you to "register" and hassle you forever after with ads and other horseshit and as far as I can tell doesn't track you around the internet and try to sniff your underwear.

If you know of another, I'm all ears.

Back