What's new
What's new

OT: How to find hot-shot truckers?

Spud

Diamond
I've heard some of you talk about hot-shot trucking to collect / deliver machinery. Over the years I've seen several collect machines at auctions, for long distance transport.

How does one find them? Is there a website that has a list of hot-shot truckers? Or a web service like FreightCenter.com or FreightQuote.com ?

I may need something small (350 lbs) collected from an auction in Oregon and delivered to Wisconsin or Illinois. Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago are all fine delivery locations. Item is flat (about 8" - 10" high) and sitting on a small pallet. So how would I go about finding a hot-shot trucker for this?

Aside from hot-shot truckers I don't know of any other logistics service that will go collect a machine / marchine part from an auction.

Last edited:
Well, I bought my own....

But I have a local guy that fetches things for me.
He runs a straight truck.

But at your distance, you Shirley want a one-way rig.

Have you talked to the on-site rigger?
They likely could get this done for you w/o too much fuss.
Is it too large to comfortably ship LTL?
Does it need to be a flatbed?

I have found truckers on some of those sites as you mention.
IDK why you are specifically asking for a hot-shot?
If there is a Billy Big coming through your direction already, and he's got room, what's the diff?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Well, I bought my own....

But I have a local guy that fetches things for me.
He runs a straight truck.

But at your distance, you Shirley want a one-way rig.

Have you talked to the on-site rigger?
They likely could get this done for you w/o too much fuss.
Is it too large to comfortably ship LTL?
Does it need to be a flatbed?

I have found truckers on some of those sites as you mention.
IDK why you are specifically asking for a hot-shot?
If there is a Billy Big coming through your direction already, and he's got room, what's the diff?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Will easily ship LTL. Will easily fit in the bed of a Tacoma or minivan.

I asked for Hot-Shot because they are the only ones I know of that will go collect a machine or parts from an Auction location.

How do I find out who is coming this way, from Oregon? Only service I know of is uShip.

I haven't followed that much ever, but my post-it cheat sheets up here say that I have an account at getloaded.com.
If that site is still active - I wouldn't have a clue. I am sure there are other sites as well. Seems like I have heard of "back haul dot com" or some such as well.

I would think that if you post up that you have a pick-up time of XYZ at location ABC, I wouldn't see why they wouldn't pick it up?

But if it will ship LTL, then the riggers would likely skid that and get it on a truck for you.
That should be by far the cheapest option.
I would not expect this to be an oddity for riggers at auction sites, especially now with the onliners from Walla Walla bidding on stuff a long way from home.

Call the rigger.

-------------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

I haven't followed that much ever, but my post-it cheat sheets up here say that I have an account at getloaded.com.
If that site is still active - I wouldn't have a clue. I am sure there are other sites as well. Seems like I have heard of "back haul dot com" or some such as well.

I would think that if you post up that you have a pick-up time of XYZ at location ABC, I wouldn't see why they wouldn't pick it up?

But if it will ship LTL, then the riggers would likely skid that and get it on a truck for you.
That should be by far the cheapest option.
I would not expect this to be an oddity for riggers at auction sites, especially now with the onliners from Walla Walla bidding on stuff a long way from home.

Call the rigger.

-------------------

It’s on a pallet. No shrink wrap or metal banding though.

I use https://www.freightquote.com/ for getting pallets from far away auctions. So far it has been the easiest and cheapest option for me. Trying to get actual quotes from actual vendors was an order of magnitude more expensive and difficult.

Get the auctioneer's guy to wrap it up really well on the pallet though.

It’s on a pallet. No shrink wrap or metal banding though.

The riggers likely have this.
I am sure they doo it with some regularity.

They would likely build you a crate if needed.
Whatever is needed to git the job out the door, @ riggers rates of course.

-----------------

Been awhile since I've used it, but have used uship successfully, if you use the "instant quotes" feature it will be the big carriers, if you put it out for bid it will be a mix of the major carriers and the mom and pop or "some dude" heading your way carriers. I've used all types successfully. www.uship.com

Reactions: Ox
Some Dude Carriers - does that work out?
That seems interesting!

I could see using that on both sides at times...
Boy, if you could scurry something out along with you and pay for fuel and maybe a nights motel bill, that could be a win/win if you had the extra time!

Very interesting!

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Some Dude Carriers - does that work out?
That seems interesting!
It has worked out for me multiple times with different people, they are people traveling (I assume) and looking to cover their fuel costs, they are only looking for small shipments that fit in the back of a pickup or small trailer. You do have to pay uship upfront, the carrier does not get paid till you acknowledge delivery with uship. My experience with these types is you must be willing to unload at unusual times, but other than that it's all good.

Spud
Looking at your pickup/delivery locations, that is out of range for Hotshot drivers, they usually work in their local area. The odds of finding some dude traveling that route is also pretty slim. What you need to find is either a trucker with a dedicated load that has a few feet of trailer left, one of the major LTL carriers, or if you use uship advertise it in the motorcycle carrier section. There are small mom and pop carriers that criss cross the nation moving motorcycles in box trailers, I've shipped several small items with them as they usually have some dead space to fill.

If your delivery location is not a commercial location with a loading dock/forklift, it is much cheaper to have delivery to a freight warehouse near you vs local delivery with a liftgate.

With a hard pickup window from an auction house, you would be best served with a commercial carrier that does LTL shipments, downside is that it will be wrangled by the forklift jockeys at a few warehouses along the way.

Last edited:
I have always used a freight broker for big loads, and mine would find me hot shots if the load was not too big. Usually tops out around 20 feet or less.
Full flatbeds or covered wagons if I needed a full 40' trailer.
I have had hotshots take loads from my shop, in NW Washington near the Canadian border, to Phoenix or So-CAL, never a problem with distance. There are long haul ones, and short haul ones.

Freight brokers get a better rate than you can, generally, so when they quote a rate, it includes their commission, and its usually cheaper than if you called yellow or one of the LTL companies.
I have often shipped big, relatively fragile fabrications, so I always want a flatbed that is going direct from me to the jobsite, and a broker has been very helpful for that.
Google "freight broker near me", and call a few. Tell em what you want, and they will either fix you up, or tell you you are crazy, but either way, it will be a professional opinion from somebody who works in the industry.

I would never ship anything damageable, certainly not a machine tool, LTL, unless it was professionally crated, and, even then, avoid if possible. LTL is a nightmare of guys running forklifts on graveyard shift at terminals, you almost always find fork tine holes in crates...
I had a friend who bought 3 amazing and rare Italian jewelry manufacturing machines at an auction in LA. I explained to him, carefully, that he needed to fly down there, call my broker at the time, book a portion of a flatbed, and supervise loading himself. At that time, roundtrip and a night in LA would have been maybe 300 bucks. He didnt. And they arrived, all three of them having fallen over in one of the several trucks the LTL company had shuffled them thru. He spent months rewiring and repairing the 150 ton press, and a bunch of time on one of the rolls. I think the third roll only had some sheetmetal dings. But he probably spent triple the cash, and literally dozens of hours of work, because he didnt go and load himself.
Luckily, he spent something like 12 grand on the 3 at auction, and the used price at that time would have been triple that, new price for equivalent maybe 10 times, and special order from Italy, so, in the end, it was still a deal, but not a very fun one. NO parts available, crazy metric sized air fittings, no manuals or wiring diagrams.

These are the guys I have used in the past, its been maybe 6 or 8 years since the last time, but they were always very good, and they are in Oregon.
ALL-WAYS TRUCKING INC
3639 AVIATION WAY
Medford, OR 97504
Total Trucks: 54
Freight Broker MC 233836
541-779-9295
541-779-9210

Last edited:
Spud
Looking at your pickup/delivery locations, that is out of range for Hotshot drivers, they usually work in their local area. The odds of finding some dude traveling that route is also pretty slim. What you need to find is either a trucker with a dedicated load that has a few feet of trailer left, one of the major LTL carriers, or if you use uship advertise it in the motorcycle carrier section. There are small mom and pop carriers that criss cross the nation moving motorcycles in box trailers, I've shipped several small items with them as they usually have some dead space to fill.

If your delivery location is not a commercial location with a loading dock/forklift, it is much cheaper to have delivery to a freight warehouse near you vs local delivery with a liftgate.

With a hard pickup window from an auction house, you would be best served with a commercial carrier that does LTL shipments, downside is that it will be wrangled by the forklift jockeys at a few warehouses along the way.
I was just trying to list on uShip. Unlike in the past they don't have the option to list the item and receive multiple bids. Now they ask me if it is on a pallet, the weight and dimensions, zip codes and then provide me with prices from several commerical LTL carriers.

In the past I would receive quotes from small mom-n-pop carriers to individuals who whose route happened to mirror my pickup and drop-off zip-code. Many years ago I shipped some gym exercise equipment this way. The shipper was just some individual (not a business) who was travelling from Wisconsin to Georgia. He came in his pickup; I helped him load, and he was on his way.

So I just tried listing it under vehicle parts and get the same LTL freight quotes.

Had to sign in and try it myself. Scroll to bottom of the instant quotes page, see where it says "Want another option? List your shipment!" Press the "Create a listing" button.

Highest quote on the instant quotes page was 12K for a 42" x 42" x 56" tall pallet weighing 300 lbs, Estes Express Lines is out of their flipping mind!

IDK where the campers in the PNW come from, but northern Indiana is the major builder for those in the country, and there are MANY guys in ton trucks dragging them all over the place, and I'm guessing the dead head home. If your load would fit in the back of a pick-up box, one of those guys may be interested?

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

IDK where the campers in the PNW come from, but northern Indiana is the major builder for those in the country, and there are MANY guys in ton trucks dragging them all over the place, and I'm guessing the dead head home. If your load would fit in the back of a pick-up box, one of those guys may be interested?

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
I will search for Hot-Shot truckers from the Northern Indiana region. I can collect my item from Indiana; it's not that far from Milwaukee.

Well, some of them would have a trailer, but many of the campers are too big to "haul" and they just pull them - like they're going camping. So, it's just a truck coming back.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Where in Oregon is it? Big state....

I have used pack and ship type places. Navis Pack & Ship is one. There are industrial craters as well. If you want good prices in the Pacific Northwest I would avoid companies with "rigging" in their name.

Where in Oregon is it? Big state....

I have used pack and ship type places. Navis Pack & Ship is one. There are industrial craters as well. If you want good prices in the Pacific Northwest I would avoid companies with "rigging" in their name.

Around the Dalles / Mt. Hood. Navis tends to be expensive and when I have contacted them in the past they typically want the stuff brought to them. Just hoping to find some individual or trucker who is coming from there to the Wis / Illinois area and has space in his/her truck or pickup.

I was just trying to list on uShip. Unlike in the past they don't have the option to list the item and receive multiple bids. Now they ask me if it is on a pallet, the weight and dimensions, zip codes and then provide me with prices from several commerical LTL carriers.

In the past I would receive quotes from small mom-n-pop carriers to individuals who whose route happened to mirror my pickup and drop-off zip-code. Many years ago I shipped some gym exercise equipment this way. The shipper was just some individual (not a business) who was travelling from Wisconsin to Georgia. He came in his pickup; I helped him load, and he was on his way.

So I just tried listing it under vehicle parts and get the same LTL freight quotes.

For Uship, from the new shipment tab try selecting "Houshold item" or "Other" if you want Vans or enclosed trailers. Heavy equipment or vehicles will get you hot shot guys. I've had pretty good luck using this for 5 shipments in the 150-400lbs range and 2-5 hours aways.

Capture.JPG

Back