What's new
What's new

OT: How to find hot-shot truckers?

Around the Dalles / Mt. Hood. Navis tends to be expensive and when I have contacted them in the past they typically want the stuff brought to them. Just hoping to find some individual or trucker who is coming from there to the Wis / Illinois area and has space in his/her truck or pickup.
I have also found Navis to always be VERY expensive ($500 to fetch an 20lb item 10 miles away and box).

I have had very good luck with independent custom crating companies that will go fetch and crate items so they are suitable for LTL. I had a small company in Santa Rosa, CA pick up 4 hand carry items from an auction and crate them for $150. UPS stores have also been pretty good for going to fetch and pack hand carry items.

Looks like your location may have limited options.

I found these guys:

Reactions: Ox
I have also found Navis to always be VERY expensive ($500 to fetch an 20lb item 10 miles away and box).

I have had very good luck with independent custom crating companies that will go fetch and crate items so they are suitable for LTL. I had a small company in Santa Rosa, CA pick up 4 hand carry items from an auction and crate them for $150. UPS stores have also been pretty good for going to fetch and pack hand carry items.

Looks like your location may have limited options.

I found these guys:
In the past few years I couldn't find any UPS or FedEx stores willing to go fetch small stuff. The only places who do that are some PakMail and independent Pack-N-Ship stores. Most won't but a few will. And it has to be light enough for them to carry.

You might post on here you never know??

So far the lowest offers I've got from uShip is about $2K. The LTL quotes from trucking companies were much less.

Anyone used Estes Express Lines or T Force Freight ? They provide LTL shipping.

I think that Estes has been here before, but I wouldn't say that we "use" them.
I am sure that they would be fine.
I see their trucks out there all the time.

Can't say that I've heard of the other.

----------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

So far the lowest offers I've got from uShip is about $2K. The LTL quotes from trucking companies were much less.

Is this using the houshold item or other category on uship?

You might try an additional listing under the heavy equipment category if you item can be put on an open trailer. That might be more likely to get a bid a hot-shot with space.

You might just have a tough location...

Is this using the houshold item or other category on uship?

You might try an additional listing under the heavy equipment category if you item can be put on an open trailer. That might be more likely to get a bid a hot-shot with space.

You might just have a tough location...
The LTL quotes were using the "Used LTL commerical goods" category and picking the Pallet option. LTL quotes were automatically generated by the system after I provided item description and pickup / drop-off zip codes.

The $2K quotes were using the Option where multiple shippers can give custom quotes after viewing my add.

I've heard some of you talk about hot-shot trucking to collect / deliver machinery. Over the years I've seen several collect machines at auctions, for long distance transport.

How does one find them? Is there a website that has a list of hot-shot truckers? Or a web service like FreightCenter.com or FreightQuote.com ?

I may need something small (350 lbs) collected from an auction in Oregon and delivered to Wisconsin or Illinois. Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago are all fine delivery locations. Item is flat (about 8" - 10" high) and sitting on a small pallet. So how would I go about finding a hot-shot trucker for this?

Aside from hot-shot truckers I don't know of any other logistics service that will go collect a machine / marchine part from an auction.
Websites like uShip.com or CitizenShipper.com allow you to post your shipment details and receive bids from independent truckers, including hot-shot operators.

When I ran the quote yesterday for that 300lb pallet from Tx to Nv, Estes Express was the highest bid at $12K, with it being 8 days in transit, so unless they are offering you much better quotes, I'd avoid them.

I've heard of people using Uber drivers to pick up parts and deliver them to UPS store, how big/heavy is the part?

When I ran the quote yesterday for that 300lb pallet from Tx to Nv, Estes Express was the highest bid at $12K, with it being 8 days in transit, so unless they are offering you much better quotes, I'd avoid them.

I've heard of people using Uber drivers to pick up parts and deliver them to UPS store, how big/heavy is the part?
Part is 300 ish lbs.

you could try Evan Guedel at 317-459-4077

He's a nationwide broker. He quoted me $1200 to take a 7600# cnc lathe from San Jose to Santa Ana (Orange County) which I didn't think was too outrageous. 367 miles

That was from an auction where the machine was to be loaded by a rigger at the auction site. And then fork lifted off in Santa Ana. So $1200 transport only

A crating company is the way to go. Have them collect your latest prize and put it in a box. That is what they do. Then have LTL grab the box from the crating company. I did this years ago in Portland with a couple of pick and place machines. The robots that build electronics. They picked up the machines from a couple of different locations in Oregon. Then palletized them. And then loaded them onto a dedicated air-ride semi. I don't recall it being overly expensive and it sounded like pretty much their bread and butter.

If you do go with a LTL and ship it banded to a pallet instead of a in a crate make sure that whoever does the banding also gives it a wrap or two of bubble wrap.
Reason being I shipped a lathe once and it was dropped on its face and bounced the entire trip that way. You could tell it happened early in the ride. Anyway the insurance claim was denied because it had no "protection", bubble wrap is what I was told it needed to have. We all know bubble wrap wouldnt to jack shit to keep a 2000lb lathe from being damaged when dropped on its face and shipped that way but the bean counters want to see bubble wrap....

Back