What's new
What's new

OT: Is this Ryobi 4" wet cutting tile saw any good?

Not a big fan of hand held tile saws. A lot of vibration to deal with.Those usually run segmented blades and are more catered for roughing work. Smaller 7" sliding table saws are perfectly OK for light duty work and are pretty economical. Might even find a good one in a Pawn shop for a steal!!

Depends on the application, I bought a no name version of that saw years ago for cutting large slate pavers outside. It's awesome for projects like that where the stone is large, heavy and it's easier to bring the saw to the material.

For smaller tiles you really want a saw with the carriage...much faster to set up, more accurate and cleaner cuts.

I’ve tried most of the cheap ones, they were costing more in tile than the worth of them, chipping etc, the one I have at the moment was made by a firm called “Rubi” takes a big tile but also takes up a fair bit of space, however the fact I can external mitre two 800 marble tiles with a virtually invisible corner if I want is brilliant, cheap was expensive I found
Mark

I was thinking about making a sliding fixture with this saw set for minimum depth of cut.
First cut just skims the surface. Next cut set for full depth.
Like those scoring saws for wood with the small blade in front and the large blade behind it.

Great for cutting stucco back when enlarging a patio door. Make sure it is on a gfci outlet. When cutting sideways it is fine motor up. Sideways motor down it will only cut for one foot then the water in the motor will trip the gfci. Then let it drip dry for a minute and and it will run again.

I was just looking at the box today. Made in Indonesia. Unit comes with a GFCI plug.
Very difficult for me to buy an item from a place like Home Depot.
I try to keep my hands in my coat pockets and sometimes bring chocolates to pacify me.

I was thinking of making a base out of Super Strut and then adding a sliding platform on top.
Never made a rolling table before. I do remember the sliding table attachment for Unisaws.
Or the Robland multi-station machine.

Last edited:
I bought a DeWalt tile saw that looks similar to do some granite countertops. The one I got the shoe didn't have an edge that could ride against the bar I wanted to use to get straight cuts.

I ended up putting a diamond blade on my skill 77 worm drive wood saw, plugged it into a gfci, and used a garden hose to keep the blade wet. I was much happier using the skill saw than that post tile saw.

Yeah the handheld tile saws work but so does anything else with a diamond blade and a gold worm drive saw with the right blade cuts better IMO.

Yeah the handheld tile saws work but so does anything else with a diamond blade and a gold worm drive saw with the right blade cuts better IMO.
Is there anything in the design of the Ryobi or Dewalt that is modified for cutting wet?
Other than a water hose fitting or a water tank on top of the saw.
What about RPM differences?

New low price:

Last edited:
The trouble with using your nice worm drive saw cutting cementious type products is all the crap gets sucked through the motors and brushes. the cheapo handheld tile saw I have has a sealed motor.

The Ryobi has a brushless motor.
The Kobalt is brushless, has water tank on top, and is cordless.
That import stuff keeps getting better.

From this article it looks that an adjustable rpm saw is the best. Something that can be done with a SCR control but I don't know how well that works.

Last edited:

Back