What's new
What's new

OT - Mild rant about the price of used cars, and where to even find them?

Ishira

Plastic
My partner is in the market for a used car. Where do you look for them, aside from dealership websites? With the chip shortage cars seem hard to come by - let alone for any sort of reasonable price - but the repairs on his vehicle are starting to total over its worth, and he's ready for something "new". Personally I've only had two cars in my short lifetime (I'm just a youngin'), one was for sale on the side of the road and one was from a dealership.
What websites are available for people hosting cars for sale by owner, and similar options?
I figured I would ask you guys, since ya'll seem broadly knowledgeable.

Craigslist.com is the go to for used cars.

Inflation has hit the auto industry hard over the last 2 years. A beater that might need work done to it is 5 grand now. I have to spend 8 grand to get something that wont break down in 6 months. I am looking at vehicles with no less than 140-150k miles on it for 8-10k price range.

I am seeing 5 year loans being offered on trucks with over 200k miles on them. Crazy times.

It's a little like asking ' where can I get 2019 price on gasoline, food, and metals in 2022? The simple fact is our current administration overshot all expectations and our economy is so healthy, as a result, that record high inflation has taken deep root. A good parallel is to look at other thriving countries - like Venezuela - who have staggering inflation. The two go hand in hand. It's just the price we all pay for building back just not better, but too gooder.

I'd suggest looking within the LGBTQ culture. There are (from what I am told) vendors and businesses who are run by LGBTQ-friendly people that will give you a better deal once they learn that you area part of the community. In the olden days, this was done in a similar fashion amongst white people....while the posted price for a round of golf was $100, once the golf pro saw you were white, he'd ring you up at $25 and let the tinted people pay full price. But we learned it was wrong to qualify people based on their white skin color, so now we only use meaningful criteria such as being non-white, homosexual, a good dancer, or just plain being liberal.

Look for low mileage private owner cars. Research models to know what you want. Learn how to evaluate a used car. You a taking a chance so offer less. No warranty, not detailed offer less and explain why to the owner. Is title clear? Don't buy if title has lien. Ask for carfax report to check for damage. Is seller motivated and willing to deal? In a good deal both parties walk away satisfied. If you don't want to do all this work, go to a dealer and pay his price. Get a better deal with cash.

It's a little like asking ' where can I get 2019 price on gasoline, food, and metals in 2022? The simple fact is our current administration overshot all expectations and our economy is so healthy, as a result, that record high inflation has taken deep root. A good parallel is to look at other thriving countries - like Venezuela - who have staggering inflation. The two go hand in hand. It's just the price we all pay for building back just not better, but too gooder.

I'd suggest looking within the LGBTQ culture. There are (from what I am told) vendors and businesses who are run by LGBTQ-friendly people that will give you a better deal once they learn that you area part of the community. In the olden days, this was done in a similar fashion amongst white people....while the posted price for a round of golf was $100, once the golf pro saw you were white, he'd ring you up at $25 and let the tinted people pay full price. But we learned it was wrong to qualify people based on their white skin color, so now we only use meaningful criteria such as being non-white, homosexual, a good dancer, or just plain being liberal.

I uh... I'm a woman, and my partner is a man. But I mean, yeah, okay. lol.

Look for low mileage private owner cars. Research models to know what you want. Learn how to evaluate a used car. You a taking a chance so offer less. No warranty, not detailed offer less and explain why to the owner. Is title clear? Don't buy if title has lien. Ask for carfax report to check for damage. Is seller motivated and willing to deal? In a good deal both parties walk away satisfied. If you don't want to do all this work, go to a dealer and pay his price. Get a better deal with cash.

All good advice, thank you!

And thank you everyone else so far, too!

Oh. I assumed 'partner' meant you were in a homosexual relationship. I will further assume that when you say you are a 'woman', and your partner a 'man', that means you were born with parts that have been traditionally considered female and he was born with parts that have been traditionally considered male.

So...I hate to break the news to you, but if in fact you are a heterosexual couple (a minority group representing about .5% of the population in 2022) you are basically going to have to pay full price, including all applicable state and local taxes. The only loophole you might be able to exploit is if one of you is a person of color, or perhaps a native of Vermont. It is your burden to walk into an auto dealership and pay MSRP plus dealer market adjustment, drive the vehicle for 18 months until it no longer seems new, then trade it in at a severe loss for a brand new model with more options and a 96 month note.

Last edited:
Narrow it down to maybe two cars you want. Keeping an old car going is time, not much money. Once you know the car you want watch for it, craiglist, cars.com, the car shopper magazine at the gas station, tell small used car dealers exactly what you want and how much cash you are going to spend (all in) they see more cars than you and are in the business of hooking you up with a ride... When desperate for a car you overlook details, when looking at the car you want details start to matter - including price.
If you want a big suv with leather interior and dolby imax theater or basic fleet van right now - aint happening. A volvo s60 is doable, honda accord you start to fall back in the you-want-what range.

It's Obammy's 3rd term...time to roll out another deficit spending program "Kash For Klunkers" to remove all used cars from the market.

It's Obammy's 3rd term...time to roll out another deficit spending program "Kash For Klunkers" to remove all used cars from the market.

You do that and everybody will be walking or on horseback. Ford, GM and Chrysler dealers in this town have a combined total of 47 new vehicles and 10 used.

Oh. I assumed 'partner' meant you were in a homosexual relationship. I will further assume that when you say you are a 'woman', and your partner a 'man', that means you were born with parts that have been traditionally considered female and he was born with parts that have been traditionally considered male.

Well thank you for blathering on with comments having NOTHING to do with what she was asking, so you could grind your particular tired political axe.

Put the word out to everyone you know. Many times someone will have a friend who is unhappy with what a dealer offered them for trade-in (usually at or near wholesale price) and if you offer something higher you can still get a used car well below the currently insane (up 40% or more) retail prices.

Also, many times someone settling a relative's estate has to dispose of their car and a quick sale at a reasonable price is more attractive to a busy executor than dealing with multiple strangers and all that entails.

The political and homophobic bullshit is just so tiresome, can't we just skip it for this thread.

Used car prices were skyrocketing way before the election and inflation. It was a result of a shortage of chips that drastically cut off the supply of new cars. New cars not available, hold on to your old one, or buy a used one. Simple supply and demand. I've had a few friend who sold 3 year old cars to Carvana for more than they paid new!

I found a used cargo van last year on Facebook marketplace, seems that has become very popular, especially with younger people. Horrible search features, but lots of stuff to look at. I like to have a used car checked out by my mechanic before putting down $. If the seller is not open to that, and in this market they can do whatever they please, spend enough time with the vehicle and owner to get a good feel for character. People reveal a lot about themselves if you are patient. The more vehicles you look at, the better you get at it.

Good luck!

edit - If you live in or near a college, often foreign students sell their cars when they graduate and return home. Many of them are from wealthy families, and don't have to squeeze every dollar out of them, just need it gone.

Awesome website, great ramblings from the staring-window corner of the internet. You can almost feel the beta-amyloid plaques Bill and Greg have clogging up the works. We have the tired mention of the tarted-up Ford Explorer and the geriatric Jag limo, but nothing about the Caravan?

Yeah, about that dementia...

Just wait and see what will happen to higher gas mileage cars
Remember when gas went high last time.
Those pick ups and SUVs will go down in price
And the econo cars will go up

And there is very little any administration can do about a world market thing like gas

Just wait and see what will happen to higher gas mileage cars
Remember when gas went high last time.
Those pick ups and SUVs will go down in price
And the econo cars will go up

And there is very little any administration can do about a world market thing like gas

Probably true, but as with so many disruptions things usually settle down eventually. I'm a contrarian (although some say I'm just contrary :D) and often go against the herd. Back during the 1973 gas crisis I bought a used monster engine muscle car for about 40% of normal price and while feeding it was pricey for a while things did settle down and I owned and enjoyed it for quite a few years. I also tend to buy discounted stocks during downturns while others are screaming "Sell, Sell!". That strategy has served me well.

Disagree about what an administration can do about gas. Not many years ago the USA was producing enough to be self sufficient and the production was only recently shut down by executive decree.

Back