What's new
What's new

OT - Mild rant about the price of used cars, and where to even find them?

I think you could give him a run for his money. You are lying about people calling all the Capitol rioters tourists or you would have quoted the posts. I am sure if they existed you could dig them up like you did with the bottle on the machine picture. How many times are going to post that, Commode Man? Your game is as weak as it gets. If you weren't obviously a long time union worker I would have thought you were a child playing pretend on the internet. The 30 year long union worker story is one of the few of yours that is believable. Your work place attitude and obvious limited skill set give that away. So what were you doing in that GM plant, installing license plate frames or screwing on the tire valve stem caps?

The used car situation is bugger all to do with Trump or Biden, it's the same in the UK.
Tony
PS Petrol now £1.60 a litre over here.

London's poor weather on the odd-numbered days is Donald's fault
on the even-number days its Joe's fault

Uk cars are expensive and it's the USA's fault.

Tony
PS Petrol now £1.60 a litre over here. (UK)
So that is about $6.05 Us dollars.

Detroit is about $3.15 to $3.40.

Ontario about $1.50 Ltr. ( 1.17 USD)

I didn't read thru all the political nonsense and human anatomy lessons but here is my advice. Facebook markeplace, and Autotrader. If you see something you want, be prepared to drive a bit to get it, and leave instantly or it's gone.

It came to the subject of the dangers of hitch hiking. It said "Don't hitch hike, you could get picked up by a homosexual." I am like WTF?
I always hitch-hiked with a red Dobie bitch, no one molested me :) but there's a hilarious scene in Vanishing Point on the subject. Don't know if it's been cut for modern tastes, but see if you can find an original (with Charlotte Rampling, too).

(Have a six years old shanghai friend who loves that movie, every time I babysit we have to watch it. Life's rough :)

I didn't read thru all the political nonsense and human anatomy lessons but here is my advice. Facebook markeplace, and Autotrader. If you see something you want, be prepared to drive a bit to get it, and leave instantly or it's gone.

Last time I looked at Autotrader it was all dealer ads, has that changed?

London's poor weather on the odd-numbered days is Donald's fault
on the even-number days its Joe's fault

Uk cars are expensive and it's the USA's fault.

Tony
PS Petrol now £1.60 a litre over here. (UK)
So that is about $6.05 Us dollars.

Detroit is about $3.15 to $3.40.

Ontario about $1.50 Ltr. ( 1.17 USD)

If you are posting gas prices you need to list time and date. My local station seems to almost raise them daily.

Look for low mileage private owner cars. Research models to know what you want. Learn how to evaluate a used car. You a taking a chance so offer less. No warranty, not detailed offer less and explain why to the owner. Is title clear? Don't buy if title has lien. Ask for carfax report to check for damage. Is seller motivated and willing to deal? In a good deal both parties walk away satisfied. If you don't want to do all this work, go to a dealer and pay his price. Get a better deal with cash.

The Used Car market bears no resemblance to what I remember in my 20's (1970's). I've only owned five cars in my lifetime, and three years ago I finally had to search out a "new" car. Basically I just kept hunting, checking listings on Craigslist, and other sites. After a month of searching for ANYTHING I was interested in (hatchback a must), I finally stumbled on a 2012 Chevy Sonic hatchback that only had 15,000 miles on it. Owned by an old lady, being sold at a dealer.

Compared to what I remember as a kid, pickings are slim, and the pickings that can be had are still relatively pricy.

Good luck.

Buick was sealing owners manuals in plastic in 1951? Who knew?
Our '55 Super did ... okay, wasn't exactly "sealed in plastic" but was in a plastic envelope that closed and (maybe ? been a while) had some kind of drawstrings flap thing, which is what I assumed Citizen meant.

Also had clear plastic seat covers with little stars on them that probably ended up ruining the upholstery as it slowly disintegrated, plastic wasn't so wonderful back then ... red and black interior, white exterior, nailhead v8, four-holer, it was a tank. Perfect for my mom, she coulda crashed into a peterbilt and come out the winner. A train, maybe not. 4449 was still pulling the Daylight then. Looked good. Would have won a contest, even with a Buick.

Is that "lets go brandon" some kind of password that you need to enter the trump cult rallies?

Well Big Brandon, actually it is code for "Fuck Joe Biden", a phrase uttered by more than a few people as they see costs of EVERYTHING skyrocketing and the Biden/Harris team bungling international relations across the globe.

Let's go Brandon!

I don't remember Ron Lyle...but boy could he give and take a punch!
Ron Lyle, you gotta laugh. Look him up, everyone who knew him said super nice guy, except for the two murders. Well, one was sort of an accident, so it didn't count :) Got stabbed in prison, eight hours on the table, clinically dead twice. They only gave him a bowl of spinach a day so he did pushups to occupy the time - 1,000 in an hour. But that was only while he was in solitary, 90 days at a time or so.

You can see why he wasn't afraid of George :)

Ali knocked George down once, after eight rounds of wearing him out. Lyle knocked Gerge down twice and had him falling over his feet two or three times more, in four. No one else ever knocked George down, not even when he was 45 and won the belt again. Lyle was a slugger for sure :)

George turned into a pretty cool guy, too. Have to admire all of them.

... the Biden/Harris team bungling international relations across the globe.
Harris has nothing to do with it, she's just along for the ride but unfortunately, this will be the end for her, I imagine. Vice president to a loser does not make for a good resume.

But not exactly fair to get down on Biden exclusively, he's just peddling the same old shit that every fool in Washington has been pushing for forty years or more. He's just too stupid to see those days are over. But everyone from Reagan forwards has been peddling that crap, with varying levels of success. And obvious levels of failure, for us working people.

Let's go Brandon!
Unfortunately, yes. Like Obummer, a giant disappointment. Altho less of a disappointment since I expected less, but still. I didn't think he'd be this stupid. Was mostly hoping for another Gerald Ford, sit there quietly and let things settle down.

He's a fricking buffoon. Who's next ? Does anyone see any prospective candidates with a brain ?

to the Op,I opligize for the loud rite beverlys here,
they for sure make the most noise , like a empty wagon.
this is NOT a empty wagon show,but they do make the most noise.
Good luck with your desires,I lucked out,got a screamin deal on a electric car,bout a year ago,especialy with the check from DC,thanks mates!!!
Gw

Speaking of why, I wonder why "billionaire" trump is asking for donations to buy him a new 747, or whatever plane that fat fuck has? Isn't it amazing how he can scam people who ought to know better into doing things that they should know better than to do?

My major advice re buying used vehicles is that finding a good deal usually means a lot of work and time. I did one time fall into a good deal years ago when a friend mentioned that a coworker was selling a one year old low mileage vehicle that would interest me. This was at a time when that particular model was so hot that dealers had none of the current year production left that wasn't already spoken for. I bought the one year old vehicle the next day after a test drive for a price that was not only well below what the newer model sold for but also well below what a dealer would have got for it used.

The fancy name is networking and what it means is put the word out to everyone you routinely interact with including not only friends and relatives but also such as bank tellers and store clerks you see regularly.

This may shock you but some of us have lives besides spending 24/7 waiting for the next thread here. But if you don't have a life that's your deal, not mine.

Carry on, troll.

I always thought that Barbter was a troll and now Brenda has confirmed it, thank you Brenda.

Well Big Brandon, actually it is code for "Fuck Joe Biden", a phrase uttered by more than a few people as they see costs of EVERYTHING skyrocketing and the Biden/Harris team bungling international relations across the globe.

Let's go Brandon!

Plus he is also known as "The Big Guy"

Harris has nothing to do with it, she's just along for the ride but unfortunately, this will be the end for her, I imagine. Vice president to a loser does not make for a good resume. ?

She is doing a great job writing her own Resume. This gal makes Dan Quayle look like Albert Einstein!

I leave yall alone for one day and this is what I come back to, lol.

I've sifted through the ramblings, thank you all who've given suggestions and tips! I'll definitely check out the websites listed, and put in a little more research as well to make sure we know what we want.

This was a thread I definitely could have enjoyed in the beginning. Sorry to see it turn to shite.

I haven't read through much of this thread so I am not sure of the criteria for your car search.

Having said that, I would suggest a diesel. I'm driving a Jetta TDI and get a constant 38 mpg.

Diesel engines can run on home heating oil as well - it's virtually the same as off road diesel. Before someone chimes in... Yes, it's against the law because it isn't taxed for on road use.

Since you appear to be mechanically inclined, another good option would be a Mercedes W123 chassis car like the 300D. They are built like a tank and very comfortable. These used to be plentiful and dirt cheap, they are still around but at a higher price like everything.

Mercedes-Benz W123 - Wikipedia

The 300D, SD, TD ,CD cars come with a near bulletproof 3.0L 5 cyl mechanical diesel engine with the designation OM617 . The later models are turbocharged and get about 28 mpg.

These engines are popular for diesel swaps in Jeeps and small pickups as well as running alternative fuels like fryer grease. It's more common than you might think and not a bad option with the current price of fuel.

Back