What's new
What's new

OT: Motordrome - Board Track Motorcycle Racing in the US

Frank:
I know the flat trackers used to rely on broad sliding or "hot shoeing" thru a turn. The night I met a couple of deer on my Harley, I can assure you I would have done well to have had a flat track racer's skills. I was doing about 50-60 mph when the first deer came up onto the road, out of a field. I got on the brakes, so the bike had slowed a lot. About that time, the second deer appeared out of nowhere. Her head and neck were lit in an unearthly orange glow, like an apparation, as she was right in the left hand front running light. I am guessing that deer tee-boned my Harley, and set me into a broadslide, with the righthand side of the bike facing the forward direction of travel. At that point, the only thoughts crossing my mind were: "This is a broadslide, and I am going to be OK". It was a sense of peace, not fear, but I also knew I was going to lay the bike down. It did not take long for the Hog to lay down on its left side. A heavy saddleback with a rigid liner held the bike up. It made a nice "bridge" and I stayed with the Harley as it slid on the pavement. I watched the sparks fly in a cloud of masonry dust, probably more spectacular since it was at night. I remember thinking the sparks looked like high carbon steel and hoping it was not the gas tank grinding thru. At some point, I realized the Hog was following the crown of the road and would wind up either wedging under the guide rail, or high siding. I let go of it and slid in my leathers. I got up, ran over to the Hog and found it had high sided and was down on its right side. I picked it up, and in a few minutes, the engine cranked right up. I came away with a busted knuckle on my left ring finger, and a small bone cracked in my ankle. No other bruising, no road rash, no strains or aches. I was walking and running and moving just fine. Considering I was 57 years old at the time, it was a nice testament to keeping in reasonable shape. My leathers took the brunt of it, and the steel toe cap on one of my work boots was ground by the pavement. I know I was extremely lucky, or, as I told the deputy who arrived, "Someone else was handling the bike for me". Ever since that time, I have always thought that if my riding skills were a bit better, I'd have been able to pull out of the broadslide. I think it might well have been a case of my being a rider who was used to having and using brakes on a motorcycle. I know that my Harley, having a disc rear brake, can be a bit twitchy and have the rear break loose if I apply too much rear brake on a road with loose material or if it is wet. I know I am light on using the rear brake on any bike I ride, but I think I probably just had the front brake locked up. I suppose I had a death grip on the front brake lever. I am a bit old now for learning some flat tracker's skills, but with 20-20 hindsight, it would have been an excellent thing to do. I never get on a motorcycle, even for a local run to the grocery, without at least work boots, a leather jacket and gloves and helmet. Going to and from work, I always wear a pair of heavy Vanson Chaps and my Langlitz jacket and a pair of gloves. I've since gone to a full face helmet. I had an open face helmet on the night I laid the bike down, and while there were no marks on the helmet, I figured I'd used my "free pass" and it was time to get a better helmet. I think if there were a rider's skill course where they had some kind of training for broadsliding a road bike and pulling out of it, I'd take it.

Thank God you survived it! The war dept and myself like to cruse through an area around here called Loch Raven in the late afternoon or dusk. That area is so thick with deer that you will usually see at least a dozen or more per trip. The thought of T-boning one of them constantly gives me the willies! ! ! It us usually cause for a very slow ride with eyeballs peeled (both of us!).

Sliding a motorcycle is like swimming or many other things, if you do it until it becomes second nature, you never forget how. Even with street bikes, if I get into a situation where I'm sliding with the back brake locked up, I'll pitch (or try to) it sideways as I'm sliding. I just seem to do it automatically without thinking. But the odd thing is that it has been close to 40 years since I've done any flat tracking. Go figger...............

Frank

Frank:

The stories of deer and bikes around this area abound. I remember that particular evening, I had gone up North of the powerplant where I work. I went to the shop of a buddy from work, and we mounted a new rear tire. As I left his shop, he hugged me and said: "The deer are in the rut... be careful." Not that I did'nt already know the deer were in their fall rut. I rolled out of my buddy's driveway, headed South down the Schoharie Valley and had run a good 50 miles. I had left the Village of Prattsville, NY and swung onto a road I have ridden every day of work for the past 20 odd years. I remember thinking: home is 20 miles away, and, as the road straightened, I put my feet up on the highway pegs and opened her up. Within perhaps a mile of that, up came the deer. It happened fast, yet the slide seemed to go in slow motion and took a long time, or so it seemed.

I got home, courtesy of the flatbed driver. My wife took me up to the local ER, a small rural hospital, as there was obviously damage to my left hand. I was not in any real pain. We got to the local ER, and the staff there burst out laughing. I was the second motorcycle/animal collision of the night, and the within a mile of the first. The guy ahead of me had been riding a full dresser Harley, and a black bear ran headlong into his saddlebag and him. The bike was rideable, some busted fiberglass and tin, and the guy was banged up with some cracked ribs, but otherwise fine.

Another guy from our area went to Maine aboard a full dresser Harley. He had a moose run into his Harley. His Harley was also rideable, and he had a hard time convincing anyone of what had occurred. There was moose hair wedged in some of the fairing and trim, and a hoof shaped impression on one saddlebag, which he saved.

As for my own accident, the insurance company was playing games, claiming with no dead deer to show for it, they were having a hard time believing (even with a sheriff's report) that I'd been tee boned by a deer. Typical insurance company, I guess, trying to weasel out of paying a claim or wanting to make it a chargeable accident. The insurance adjuster called the Harley dealer where my motorcycle had been taken. He got the famous answer: "Get over here fast. We wanna wash and strip that motorcycle, it's stinking up the shop." Turns out there was a pretty good wad of deer fur and meat on some of the projecting parts of my Hog.

I returned to work, resumed running an outage on one of our turbine generators, and gimped around for the next few weeks with splints on my left hand and left foot, and a crutch. Of course, that is when the elevator in the plant crapped out, and I had about 10 flights of stairs to get up and down numerous times a day during the outage. The Chief Mechanic got his deer early that hunting season. He brought in some choice cuts of venison, took an iron skillet and cooked some in the mechanics' lunchroom. He made sure to serve me a nice hunk of venison, blood rare. Of course, the whole crew was uproarious and yelling things like: "Next time you get a deer, use a rifle, not a Hog". I tore into that venison with a real vengeance. I keep threatening to buy a hunting license. I used to deer hunt, but getting out on cold mornings before daylight and changing habits of the deer herds kind of put me off deer hunting. I think part of the reason we are seeing more vehicle/deer collisions is a lack of hunting and a change in the deer habitat- too much suburban sprawl and subdivisions. In our region, we see a lot of deer and a lot of coyote. A lack of hunting and trapping, are probably the biggest contributors to this. I tend to take the better part of valor nowadays and try not to ride at night, especially during the fall rut. My night vision and reflexes may not be what they once were, and at this point of my life, I am perhaps a bit older and wiser.

Flat track bikes in Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum

Here are a few more I took at Barber in 2003. Lost my notes concerning years of manufacture, but all are post -WWll.

DCP_1357.JPGDCP_1292.jpgDCP_1347.jpgDCP_1360.jpg

l-r: Harley KR (last of the factory side valve motors), Harley WR, J.A.P. Speedway machine, Triumph (note steel "shoe" hanging from handlebar).

~TW~

on edit: The Harley KR pictured has brakes and rear suspension. Many had rigid rear ends and no brakes. I seem to recall that the later versions were available with or without brakes and rear suspensions. Someone help me out here if this is not correct.

Barber has had that racer since the early 90s, before his museum (which was located in a non-descript warehouse on Southside near what is now the Lakeview district) was open to the public. Supposedly we had a board track here in town.

Joe,
That reminds me of an accident we had some years back. We were stopped at a rural area stopsign and this dizzy assed woman plowed into the back of us, and then tried to drive over top of us! when I finally shook the cobwebs off I cussed her 6 ways from sunday, up one side of the street and down the other. Her husband finally showed up in a pick up truck. He told us that this was not the first time she did this. Geeeezzzeeee! ! !
He helped right the bike and drove the war dept home for me. I was able to restart the bike and rode it home all bent and mangled.

When working with the insurance adjuster, he tried to fuck us. I immediatly let him know that this could go hard or easy, it was his choice. I then let him know that I had the phone numbers of 2 witnesses that weren't on the police report, so he couldn't buy them off. Then after more arguing, I asked him "how big of a hospital bill do you want to pay?" He looked at me, I looked at the war dept and we both dropped our drawers to show him the matching bruises we had that perfectly matched the front bumper of her car. All was then settled very quickly to my exacting specifications!

Frank

Here are a few more I took at Barber in 2003. Lost my notes concerning years of manufacture, but all are post -WWll.

View attachment 72866View attachment 72865View attachment 72867View attachment 72868

l-r: Harley KR (last of the factory side valve motors), Harley WR, J.A.P. Speedway machine, Triumph (note steel "shoe" hanging from handlebar).

~TW~

on edit: The Harley KR pictured has brakes and rear suspension. Many had rigid rear ends and no brakes. I seem to recall that the later versions were available with or without brakes and rear suspensions. Someone help me out here if this is not correct.

The Ks models where swing arm bikes.
The Ws would have all been ridged.

I know you could get a rid after market frame for the K's and I have seen some with solid struts replacing the shocks.

Barber has had that racer since the early 90s, before his museum (which was located in a non-descript warehouse on Southside near what is now the Lakeview district) was open to the public...

Mike,

As an ex-museum hand, I'm sure you're aware that most such facilities suffer from a chronic lack of funding. That's what makes the Barber operation so unique – money doesn't appear to stand in the way of the dream. Living in the Birmingham area you no doubt you know the story, but for those who don't here's a link to nice article describing how this incredible place came to be:

Memorable Motorcycles Barber Museum - Motorcycle USA

I've heard that they have a really nice restoration shop with a number of machine tools, but I only caught a glimpse of it from the mezzanine above during my visit. Have you ever been inside their restoration area or know anyone that works there?

~TW~

They still run speedway bikes in southern California. There are two tracks that are very active. One is at City of Industry and the other is Costa Mesa. You have to look for it, but the sport is still here.

RAZ Video shows a lot of local motorcycle race history.

They still run speedway bikes in southern California. There are two tracks that are very active. One is at City of Industry and the other is Costa Mesa. You have to look for it, but the sport is still here.

Speedway is WAY KOOL! ! ! ! ! And still very popular in Europe. But it is also ran on a dirt track, a very short one at that. If you like to powerslide, Speedway is the thing for you! ! ! There is a lot to be said for 500cc alcohol burning singles with no transmission or brakes. Takes a big set of cajones to be good at it! ! :D

You occasionally see the European Speedway races televised on Speed and some of the lesser known cable channels. I'm usually glued to the couch. I always wanted to try it in my younger days, but nobody within 3 or more hours from here ran it. Something about flat track racing on a round track always aroused my interest. I had heard that they still run it in a few places in upstate NY.

Frank

Motordrome or board track motorcycle racing was a popular form of racing in the United States in the early 1900s. The tracks were made of wooden boards and riders would race around them at high speeds. The races were popular and drew large crowds, but they were also dangerous, with riders often crashing at high speeds. Motorcycle leather jacket Board track racing declined in popularity in the 1920s, as safety concerns grew and other forms of racing became more popular. However, it remains a fascinating and important part of motorcycle racing history.
Spammer reported!

I know this is a 10 year old thread but since someone resuscitated it, I'll add my tuppence. The Harley K-R (AMA national #55[I can't remember if that was Roger Reiman's or Cal Rayborn's number]) is a "T-T" racer by old AMA rules.

55 was Roger Reiman, Cal was 24, 25, and 14 over the years. At one time they changed number according to finish position on points from the previous year, then right about 1970 they settled on sort-of-permanent numbers.

AMA was good, at one time. They destroyed it in about 1980.

My miss spent youth in the mid 70's (Ventura Ca. fair grounds) . My bike was a JAP/Hagon , pretty much everyone else was riding a JAWA , this was pre DOHC. Because I was riding a JAP , I got to know Jerry Fairchild (famed motor/frame builder) and Jack and Cordy Milne . In 1937' Jack , "Lamy" Lamoreaux and Cordy won the British world championship 1-2-3 . On Fairchild bikes .
005 by mark westi, on Flickr

Last edited:
EG, thanks for refreshing my memory!
I agree, they changed the 1/2 mile and 1 mile style from broadsliding to "blue groove" running.
Just for fun, do you remember the photo of Gary Nixon (on a Triumph twin) with both feet on the pegs, crossed-up, at one of the mile tracks?

A couple more ...

Gary-Nixon%25C2%25A9Dan%2BMahony_SIDEBURN.jpg

notice who is in second :)

gary-nixon-wheelie-768x576.png

Back