What's new
What's new

OT: My shop/business was destroyed by Arson; insurance questions

kielbasavw

Aluminum
Been awhile since I posted. I wish it were for different circumstances.
At around 4am 2/1/24 in Orange, Ca. My welding and fabrication shop was destroyed by a random act of arson. Neighboring shops have video footage of a bum on a bicycle go up to my window at around 4am and punch through the window and light something on fire. He then took off and down the road a bit lit up a car, and a couple dumpsters from what Ive been told.
This is the most gutt wrenching feeling, losing almost everything. Machines, tools, equipment, rare and irreplaceable parts and items, ect. Whatever isnt fire damage is water damage from the fire department. And losing it all is just the beginning. After, I would soon find out that there are issues with my insurance coverage, Im actively trying to figure all that out, I may have to take some sort of legal action against the broker. Theres also some weird things going on with the property management, and Im
Honestly getting a little spooked.
I didnt want to do this, my wife with the help of some of our dearest friends made a go fund me. It hurts my pride and ego to ask, I truly hate the position I am in. But digging through the rubble, its sinking in how hard this is, and now with potential legal avenues I may take, anything and everything will help. Even just to share to your friends, co workers,
Or any other establishments you maybe apart of.
I will post the link to my shops instagram where I am most active, if you wanted to get the most recent type of updates, and a good way to contact me for any reason.
I am at a loss and oblivious to this situation, if anyone has any sort legal help for my situation to either the insurance side or property management side, please contact me here or on Instagram. Id truly appreciate it.
https://gofund.me/8445c076
Www.instagram.com/kielbasaind

Attachments

• IMG_6341.jpeg
    IMG_6341.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 211
  • IMG_6346.jpeg
    IMG_6346.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 212
  • IMG_6349.jpeg
    IMG_6349.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 208
  • IMG_6360.jpeg
    IMG_6360.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 205
  • IMG_6361.jpeg
    IMG_6361.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 207
  • IMG_6357.jpeg
    IMG_6357.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 207
  • IMG_6495.jpeg
    IMG_6495.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 213
My deepest condolences, what is to me suspicious, highly. It looks like a targeted act not a random event.
Question is why? I’m naturally paranoid since I got mine robbed very good clearance they did too.
Mark
Video footage shows him at a different building then gets spooked after noticing camera. Goes to my complex with no cameras (property management has denied all tenants to put up our own cameras and forced someone to take theirs down) he is also a known person who’s been caught for arson before according to the police

Sorry to hear about this.

Take the insurance company to court, and don't give in.

Had a lawyer for Corporate Risk Management class, she had worked for an insurance company.

The insurance company ALWAYS lost when she went to court, as juries are people who hate insurance companies, lost even if contract was clear- Jury just punished the insurance company.

And fire departments- We had a cafe in the village burn- it was right next to the fire department. Didn't matter

The Insurance company took your money every month. Do they have a "No Claims Allowed" rule?

Thats all the worst kick in the gut I that could imagine. A person's tools are more than objects.
There's hard work and pride in gaining each piece.
The fire bug that started it has no Idea what he has done. A ground wire stuck down his throat and the "stick" inserted in his rear end, and 200 a.m.p.'s dialed in and, a flip of the switch would fit the bill.

Post your insurance carriers name here. Others here may have the same coverage and need to know.
Post your situation with that Insurer on every forum you can find. Give them some publicity. There is too much of this crap of Insurance carriers coping out when something happens.
Send the Insurance company a "link" to every online conversation you have on this situation. Hit them where it hurts.
Include your Broker's name in the loop. He needs to be held accountable for his part.

This 20 pages of lawyer written fine print crap needs to stop. What is covered could all be spelled out in plain everyday language in two pages.
We all spend a lot of our income on the thieving Insurance RACKET.

kielbasavw

I hope you can get your livelihood put back together ASAP.
If they the catch the bastard arsonist and lock him up.
Go to his trial and express the damage that he has done to your life. Although I don't think it could really be expressed in words.
Mike

Last edited:
condolences:(

I had a friends 18,000 sq.ft facility burn down after 35+ years, he had to retire.

He did hire a firm that specifically goes after insurance companies though, they got paid 15% but they guaranteed that their efforts would yield a over 15% increase.
And he said it was one of the best thing he could have done, he received far more money from the insurance from initial, and the insurance did not want to go to court
for fear of greater loss than out of court settlement.

Post your insurance carriers name here. Others here may have the same coverage and need to know.
Post your situation with that Insurer on every forum you can find. Give them some publicity. There is too much of this crap of Insurance carriers coping out when something happens.
Send the Insurance company a "link" to every online conversation you have on this situation. Hit them where it hurts.
Include your Broker's name in the loop. He needs to be held accountable for his part.

This 20 pages of lawyer written fine print crap needs to stop. What is covered could all be spelled out in plain everyday language in two pages.
We all spend a lot of our income on the thieving Insurance RACKET.
pus one

Sounds like you really need some help here. As surplusjohn mentioned, a public adjuster will be a great option for this. We used one when our shop was damaged in a wild fire, and our insurance didn't want to pay for much of anything. I was very happy with SunPoint public adjusters. They have lawyers, forensic accountants, all the fancy stuff. They were paid 8% of all insurance proceeds, and it was absolutely worth it. If your case went to court, I'm betting that 8% would be recouped with a verdict in your favor. It won't hurt to talk to them. https://sunpoint.us/

Good luck and keep your head up. I'm familiar with what you're going through right now, and it's a life changing experience.

So sorry. The property owner is going to be in hot water over this. Have there been any arsons before in the neighborhood? If so the landlord has no basis for outlawing cameras.
Was the bum a local convected arsonist? Then then landlord needs to explain why no cameras.
The supreme court needs to rule, like they did for antennas, that a camera is something everyone can have.
Bill D

Wow, that's awful! I've cross-posted this over on Welding Web to see if someone at Primeweld might want to jump on board and replace your TIG. I know they've donated machines for YouTube reviews, etc....they've got an amazing 325A machine out now that would be right at home there!

No doubt in my mind that removing cameras made the place less safe and more inviting to crooks.
Landlords have been sued and lost big time for not replacing burnt out outside bulbs and not trimming hedges back when they new, or should have known, about previous rapes in the complex.
A landlord is under an assumed guarantee that the property is reasonably safe for the tenants. And he has made normal precautions to protect tenets from any hazards such as arson, fire, theft or rape. Taking down cameras and pretending there is no problem is acting like an ostrich not a landlord.
Bill D.

Back