What's new
What's new

OT: New style electric toothbrushes work like minature vibratory tumblers (reverse)?

rons

Diamond
Just want to say that gum health is important more than you know, including me.

Any opinions on those pencil style electric toothbrushes. Do they work like a vibratory tumbler in reverse. I turned on on yesterday and that thing
was vibrating up a storm. Are they any good, or just another thing for a lazy person who just wakes up in the morning? There is a wide price range like
from a few dollars to over $50.

I remember a dentist telling me about removing all of someones teeth due to gum disease. He said he didn't enjoy it.

Been using Braun Oral-B for more than thirty years. Lovely Rita, my tooth cleaner, says it makes her work a lot easier. And I find the vibrations to be very soothing.

Saw the title to this thread and I thought deburring parts with an electric toothbrush and maybe lapping compound was going to be discussed. :-)
Looks like my guess was wrong.

I have a Philips Sonic Care...works well. About $100. I also use a regular brush and floss. My dentist tells me my teeth are the best of any of his patients my age, and in the top 2% of all his patients. That's in terms of health, not straightness. I haven't tried it for cleaning any parts, though.

my periodontist told me to use the Philips Sonic Care. It worked well, but it's expensive to replace the brushes. and they only last a few years.

I do like them, and wish they were less expensive. They reduced my pocketing in the gums over time. I have little space between teeth. If you have the space, the Oral B might work, she told me I needed the Sonic Care because of the tight gaps.

My Sonicare has worked for me for about 12 years I think. Maybe more. I think it has NiMH batteries, not Lithium. It's kept my teeth clean, but also has had a weird side benefit.

Several years ago, I started getting severe leg pain in my calf. Turns out I have a squashed verterbra, and the foramen (the space for the nerve to get out of the spine) has shrunk up, squashing my nerve. My wife's a PT and she asked one of her colleagues to look at me. This resulted in a stretch, which (for me) fixed everything. I lie on my side like I'm sitting on a chair. My left knee touches the ground. Then I twist, and my right shoulder touches the ground. I do this for 90 seconds, in the morning and at bedtime, and my leg and hip are fine. Quite miraculous.

The nexus with the toothbrush you've probably figured out. I use the timer to time my stretch, while I'm also brushing my teeth. It looks weird, but it works.

Anyway, my Sonicare has lasted years. With the pandemic, I can't get cheap Walmart brushes though. So I spend and extra 50 bucks a year on genuine Sonicare brushes.

i bought one of those brushed for about $50 a few years back and i prefer to use it for vibrating small molds, e.g. when casting filled epoxi parts.

I have two Sonic Care brushes. One is over 15 years old (or so) and I still use it. The other is a year old...I bought it thinking it would be 'better' because it's newer. Turns out the old one works just as well and unlike the new one, the didn't place the switch directly under where I hold it, so I don't accidentally turn it off when using it. I assume the newer version was designed by someone who never actually used one, and got an award for it.

another sonicare lover here. been using one since the ex and i bought them at costco probably 7 or 8 years ago. my teeth are chipped to hell but they're at least white, all things considered.. and my gums are mostly healthy [emoji23]
i buy refurbished handles on ebay, when necessary.

as for the brush heads.. search amazon for aoremon brand replacements. $20 for 6 and arguably the same as the oem ones.

518b7dbd8a2624cb76b5337d095602c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll try those....though I generally don't find paying for the 'real' ones too objectionable (though they are a rip off). It's a small price to pay for healthy teeth.

I have friends I went to school with who never took care of their teeth. One of them had all of his remaining teeth pulled and was fitted with dentures. He kind of shrugged it off and said, "Well, after all, I am 47 years old now...."

One time, years back, my dentist was talking about proper gum/teeth care and he commented, "You'll find that your ability to tolerate pain won't improve when you reach your 70's...."

Last edited:
My wife uses one but I use the natural (pig bristle) toothbrushes because they last so long and the nylon bristles don't go all wonky. I have on occasion used her brush and it does seem to leave your teeth very slick which I think can be equated with clean. She gets the replacements at Cosco and they are not too expensive.

another sonicare lover here. been using one since the ex and i bought them at costco probably 7 or 8 years ago. my teeth are chipped to hell but they're at least white, all things considered.. and my gums are mostly healthy [emoji23]
i buy refurbished handles on ebay, when necessary.

as for the brush heads.. search amazon for aoremon brand replacements. $20 for 6 and arguably the same as the oem ones.

Dunno about whoknowswhat'sitmadeof brands, but the genuine heads can be had for not much more: https://www.costco.com/toothbrush-replacement-heads.html

I change mine every 3 months, small price to pay for good cleaning.

Back