What's new
What's new

OT- Pennsylvania Steel Mills Modelled in HO Scale

RC Mech

Stainless
Came across a video of this fantastic model railway featuring steel coil mills, blast furnaces etc. modelled after several mills in Pennsylvania.

Of particular note are Dave Moltrup’s custom built rolling stock. The detail here far exceeds your typical HO layout.

When they were running some gold mines made wire models of the shafts. These were kept under lock and key. They included the "extra shafts" that run under the property line into the next door mine.
Bill D

This layout is large, complex, and detailed. It is described as "fantastic", but lacks, as EmanuelGoldstein notes above, propane lines and miniature fires.
Fantastic, to me, are model engineering achievements such as those of Cherry Hill.

-Marty-

This layout is large, complex, and detailed. It is described as "fantastic", but lacks, as EmanuelGoldstein notes above, propane lines and miniature fires.
Fantastic, to me, are model engineering achievements such as those of Cherry Hill.

-Marty-

Cherry Hill’s models are incredible yes. Here’s a link for those who are interested:

https://craftsmanshipmuseum.com/artisan/cherry-hill/

In the future I’ll be sure to choose adjectives that express my awe more carefully, perhaps using “amazing” as a catch-all and to irritate anyone and anything sentient. :D

Moltrup steel was a small cold drawing mill in Beaver Falls.
Long since gone.
I wonder if the model builder is related ?

Nice work, when new plant was being commissioned it was often preceded by a model , say a vacuum degasser or bit of rolling mill, what was surprising these models cost the price of a modest house!,
Mark

Nice work, when new plant was being commissioned it was often preceded by a model , say a vacuum degasser or bit of rolling mill, what was surprising these models cost the price of a modest house!,
Mark
And again, another example of a job (model maker) that I would do for free.
NOT making that up.

I used to marvel at the pipework, flanges bolts etc, all pre 3D printers, pipes all painted with the correct colours, some even automated , they would be the same scale as the cranes and dozers that you can get, those used to get stolen by the plant manager esp Christmas !
Mark

A site on the tour books for the Argonaut mine is the cemetery where 47 gold miners are buried together. Killed underground in a fire. Any cemeteries in that model?
BilL D

We had a grave in the steelworks at margam, 15 miners in 1890, there’s a monument there now ( we had a service on the anniversary) guys working in the the area at night often said they saw odd things.
Who knows
Mark

or you could just answer the question straight off...... :nutter:

Watch 21 minutes of video to see if they answered the question or ask if someone saw the info in the video already and can save you 20 minutes of your life. If you misse dit just use 42 minutes to check again.
BilL D

What it actually lacks is the dirt and grime a real steel mill would have after five minutes of operation. Not nit picking, just saying.

-Marty-

or you could just answer the question straight off...... :nutter:

Watch 21 minutes of video to see if they answered the question or ask if someone saw the info in the video already and can save you 20 minutes of your life. If you misse dit just use 42 minutes to check again.
BilLD

Back