What's new
What's new

OT: Prostate cancer, need I say more........

I also have a friend who was in his late sixties who had surgery about 5 years ago, still going strong with good PSA results. Good luck.

I had radiation for prostate cancer about 10 years ago and now my PSA tests come back undetectable. The only down side I have had recently is having to get up during the night to go pee, sometimes as much as 6 or 7 times a night. I just saw my urologist recently and he put me on a new pill that has been a big help and I may only get up twice a night. He did say that that is one of the down sides of radiation but that the doctors don't usually tell you about it. I am 80 so maybe the old plumbing is just wearing out. I have been dealing with leukemia for the past 23 years so the prostate cancer was just a minor bump in the road.

I had the robotic surgery 8 years ago at age 52 after a year of watchful waiting. That meant getting a biopsy twice. No detectable levels in PSA tests now. I was told the same thing about the radiation vs. surgery, that couldn't do surgery after radiation. I was also told that after surgery I would only have about a 10% chance of not "functioning". It should have been the other way around. Check with others who have had surgery by the Dr. that you pick. I found out afterwards that my Dr. wasn't the one who performed the surgery, so I dont know what his experience was.

I know its been a LONG time ago...

My dad had prostate surgery and they completely f*cked him up. Incontinent rest of his life, lots of pain.

IMHO, take a serous look at no treatment option, or at least wait and watch option

How old are you Moonlight? Cancer is nothing to mess with. Make sure to act promptly and take that advice of the professionals. Start eating basic foods and cut out all the sugars immediately. Sorry you are sidetracked. Hopefully there is a short sweet health path for you.

Only thing i know is that it sucks, and radiation treatment makes you completely worn out and feel like junk.
I know everyone reacts differently and they told me the cyberknife treatment may make me feel "tired". But with only 5 treatments over 10 days I really didn't notice any thing. Just saying...........Bob

Last edited:
Go to Mayo. That's the only advice there is. You can start out with your local doc, and then you go to Mayo for a week and let them discuss your case, and compare notes.
LOL My doctor had done a fellowship at Mayo and told the story from the doctors' end. Some guys who arrived and considered themselves deserving of nothing but the best would insist on having their surgery done by the department head. What they didn't know was that the department head's claim to fame was that he could do a prostatectomy in forty-five minutes. My doctor said, "It wasn't very good and it wasn't pretty, but he could do it in forty-five minutes."

I had a biopsy last year. The nurse offered laughing gas for an extra $100, I asked
"what does that do?"
"makes you loopy, and dulls the pain"
"sure why not"

My buddies parents used to abuse laughing gas, he said it made them loopy, so I thought "what's the harm"

Not good, I might have breathed too much in, as the procedure was getting more and more invasive.

At the end the doc said
"ok you can sit up"
At which point I threw up everything I had. If you've ever been on a sailboat 24hours in really heavy seas, that's how I felt.
The doc looked surprised, said in 20 years of practice had never seen an adverse reaction to laughing gas.

I sat in the car for 3 hours before the dizziness went away and I could drive home.

There is cancer, which reminds me I need to go back for another check up.

LOL My doctor had done a fellowship at Mayo and told the story from the doctors' end. Some guys who arrived and considered themselves deserving of nothing but the best would insist on having their surgery done by the department head. What they didn't know was that the department head's claim to fame was that he could do a prostatectomy in forty-five minutes. My doctor said, "It wasn't very good and it wasn't pretty, but he could do it in forty-five minutes."
Yeah, I've worked with a lot of surgeons....very few race to get done.

The level of medicine performed exceeds norms at Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, etc. When my dad's cancer returned in 2015 or so, I insisted he go to Mayo as we were doing things in veterinary medicine that his local oncologist wasn't doing. Locally, they couldn't even get a good biopsy of his tumor. After a week at Mayo they had it biopsied, all the scans done, and sent for DNA analysis and then put his case in front of the tumor board to determine if there was anything they could do. They then gave him the option of surgery there, or no surgery (what he elected) with chemo being administered locally, but the local oncologist consulting with the mayo oncologist to determine protocols. IIRC, he was given 6-8 months, and he made it 18.

When you are dealing with cancer, you don't want the jack of all trades oncologist who treats everything, you want the guy who specializes in your type of cancer.

Been there, still doing that. As mentioned above, every case is different. Get at least two opinions from completely different practitioners.

jack vines

How old are you Moonlight? Cancer is nothing to mess with. Make sure to act promptly and take that advice of the professionals. Start eating basic foods and cut out all the sugars immediately. Sorry you are sidetracked. Hopefully there is a short sweet health path for you.
I am 68. Doing the food stuff already as I have diabetes as well.

Been there, still doing that. As mentioned above, every case is different. Get at least two opinions from completely different practitioners.

Yes, but to also be from different practices - you don't want second opinions from buddies. You want opinions from unrelated sets of buddies.

Back