What's new
What's new

OT- Robots coming to McDonalds

Also, to add to this... Where I live, the McDonalds has touch screen ordering, and they take debit, so unless you use cash, you don't need a cashier, we're getting closer.

I'm a huge fan of this. For menial chores like grabbing a quick bite on the go, I'd rather be able to move at the speed of my own abilities, waiting less on people, and just being able to 'grab and go' as if I was at the gas station getting a few items while the gas pump did its work (which I also don't need a person to accomplish anymore, thankfully) (Speaking of automation and gas pumps...Fuck off, New Jersey. Fuck. Off.)

Now... I'll be infuriated the first time I'm behind some octogenarian who can't get her 2 damn cheeseburger and 'senior coffee' because the machine doesn't have an option for accepting her local high school band fundraiser coupons, but refuses to ask for help, instead just mashing buttons and cussing the machine, blaming Obama and McDonalds for the fall of our society. So long as I'm able to just walk up to a machine, push button, swipe card, receive foodstuffs; I'll be happy.

After a recent catastrophic flood in my area, they tore down and are completely rebuilding our local McDs. I typically avoid fast food, but I'll probably run through there just to see how 'modern' they made the place.

I'm a huge fan of this. For menial chores like grabbing a quick bite on the go, I'd rather be able to move at the speed of my own abilities, waiting less on people, and just being able to 'grab and go' as if I was at the gas station getting a few items while the gas pump did its work (which I also don't need a person to accomplish anymore, thankfully) (Speaking of automation and gas pumps...Fuck off, New Jersey. Fuck. Off.)

Now... I'll be infuriated the first time I'm behind some octogenarian who can't get her 2 damn cheeseburger and 'senior coffee' because the machine doesn't have an option for accepting her local high school band fundraiser coupons, but refuses to ask for help, instead just mashing buttons and cussing the machine, blaming Obama and McDonalds for the fall of our society. So long as I'm able to just walk up to a machine, push button, swipe card, receive foodstuffs; I'll be happy.

After a recent catastrophic flood in my area, they tore down and are completely rebuilding our local McDs. I typically avoid fast food, but I'll probably run through there just to see how 'modern' they made the place.

I am as well. I don't eat there, but I love the concept, and to deal with the coupons issue, just make them QR codes :p our smart phones can generate them, and the robo-cashiers would be able to read them and identify whether they are still good or not, no more waiting while a cashier has to call their manager to get a 10% off of a $5 order!

I hope that the flood didn't hit you too badly!

Regards,
Taylor

I am as well. I don't eat there, but I love the concept, and to deal with the coupons issue, just make them QR codes :p our smart phones can generate them, and the robo-cashiers would be able to read them and identify whether they are still good or not, no more waiting while a cashier has to call their manager to get a 10% off of a $5 order!

I hope that the flood didn't hit you too badly!

Regards,
Taylor

Flooding is common in my area. I was smart enough to read a flood map before buying property. I'm good. ;) Thanks.

An earlier posting asked about the history of CNC; while the Wikipedia article mentions Parsons, MIT, et al, it was slow to catch on.

Therefore:
The NC concept was so strange to manufacturers, and so slow to catch on, that the US Army itself finally had to build 120 NC machines and lease them to various manufacturers to begin popularizing its use.[4]

The footnote referring to this webpage:
SME - The Father of the Second Industrial Revolution

The article is a fascinating read. The "father" and patent holder for numerical control is John Parsons, a high school graduate.

I know i'm beating a dead horse here, but this morning I went to McDonald's for coffee (I prefer it over Tim Horton's coffee) and i had a coupon for a free hashbrown with a hot beverage, so I took it to the automated kiosk and scanned the bar-code on the coupon! it works! Once they start taking cash (Like the BMO ATM machines that will take cash or cheque without an envelope) and change, we wont need the cashiers anymore.

The idea excites me, but also kind of scares me for the next couple generations that already find it hard enough to keep a job with their habits.

Maybe the "next generations" will be forced to change
their habits then...
Could be a win-win situation.

Hopefully, but we have a habit of bubble-wrapping these generations so much that they no longer know how to do anything on their own. The "entitled" phase doesn't look like its going anywhere anytime soon either......

Maybe the "next generations" will be forced to change
their habits then...
Could be a win-win situation.

I envision 'robot controlled humans' who will be programmed to show up at the robotic burger place and consume mass quantities. The working robots will themselves provide the funds to the remote controlled human so it can consume.

Tomorrow's cars will be powered by human body fat.

New job description: "let a robot do your thinking for you. All you have to do is obey, and your life will be smooth and carefree" ;) This will come about as soon as robots develop a proper sense of greed, or some other prime motivator. :D

Why? So cheap-asses like you can pay employees $2 an hour and watch them starve? Gotta get those profits! Fuck these whiny employees! If they want more money they can save that $2 an hour and start a business just like I did! Or they can work three jobs! That's the problem with people these days, you know, they're just so damn lazy. :rolleyes5::rolleyes5::rolleyes5:

I didn't even know they made keyboards that giant assholes could type on. Boy, technology sure has come a long way.

If you only pay employees 2$ an hour, you're going out of business because they all will quit and you won't be able to replace them. If some pencil pusher says you have to pay employees more than they are worth, then you will fire some of them and replace them with robots. If the minimum wage is effective, let's just make it $500 an hour and everyone can be millionaires. Just think of how much stuff they will buy.

If you only pay employees 2$ an hour, you're going out of business because they all will quit and you won't be able to replace them. If some pencil pusher says you have to pay employees more than they are worth, then you will fire some of them and replace them with robots. If the minimum wage is effective, let's just make it $500 an hour and everyone can be millionaires. Just think of how much stuff they will buy.

If having a higher minimum wage is a bad thing, let's just make it zero, and go back to forcing employees to sell their soul to the company store!

/s

If having a higher minimum wage is a bad thing, let's just make it zero, and go back to forcing employees to sell their soul to the company store!

/s

The federal minimum wage is $7.25 an hour, and yet the vast majority of jobs pay more than $7.25 an hour. Even jobs at Mcdonalds. Why is this, and why do you refuse to recognize it?

Robots coming to McDonalds

Ummm.... was that meant to be a quote from JNieman or are you going through the "Copycat" stage?

My end game, if I can't make a living wage - is to start identity thefting illegals. Hopefully it's a process I can automate since by then I'll pick up a nasty drinking habit which will take up most of my time.

If you really, really want to sell your soul for $2.00 per hour should the government get in your way?
Should you have a choice.
(This subject could use it's own thread).....

Back