What's new
What's new

OT- Since most of us tend to lift too much.... is it possible to have an iguinal hernia with no exterior evidence of a bulge ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
I've got the classic symptoms of a hernia in the groin area (which was set off recently by picking up a Moore rotary table from a pallet :dopeslap:) , except no bulge anywhere...:confused:

Hi Milacron:
Yest it is...best to get it checked.
Of course the recommended treatment is mostly surgery...the medieval looking trusses and other S&M devices on Amazon and other places are stopgaps and aids to avoid recurrence, but they will not make the problem go away.
The risk with neglecting it is that you strangulate whatever is protruding through the hernia... even if there is no apparent bulge, there can still be a bit of you in the wrong place and vulnerable to "ischemic necrosis".
That's life threatening.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

The cost is very little to check it out if it is nothing. As Joe mentioned it can be very serious if it is a hernia and untreated. I have a friend that had a hernia in her middle abdomen and had major surgery to save her life and has been in an induced coma for more than a week. Right now, the plan is to keep her in the coma for another 2 weeks.

I didn't know I had one until the doctor told me. Since it hadn't been bothering me I wasn't going to do anything about it. The knowledge of its presence caused me to stop doing things I wanted to do (backpacking). Ended up having it repaired, twice.

I've got the classic symptoms of a hernia in the groin area (which was set off recently by picking up a Moore rotary table from a pallet :dopeslap:) , except no bulge anywhere...:confused:
Absolutely possible.
Mine is 13cm and there is no bulge. Surgery on the 20th of this month. Yay.

I think the peritoneum is like a bag that surrounds your intestines, and a tear in it is a hernia. So it could be torn in a place that would not stick out. But I'm not a doctor and it has been a long time since my school days.

If your symptoms are pain without a bulge, this may suggest initial dissection of the inguinal canal as your intestines are making an initial attempt to find their way into their new home of your scrotum. Bulges may or may not be easily detectable depending on your weight and whether or not the exam is performed while you are bearing down during the exam.

If the tear is there it may not bulge for a while, need to tear some more. I've had a right, left, and umbilical repaired. Left nut looked like a plum after left was done.
Methods of repair have come a long way since my first one 50 years ago.

Definitely not worth waiting, the sooner the better. I had the surgery years ago, and no issues, knock on wood. after the surgery, you will find all your doors too narrow for a week or two, but it is a distant memory. I had the thing for months before I finally went under the knife. It got to the point, where it was popping out every time I sneezed. Those rotary tables will weigh way Moore than you would think.

If left untreated it will form a bump and will grow over time. Mine was from trying to lift a 16" YUASA rotary table which weighed 297 lbs. A very small bump formed the next day which kept growing. By the time I was at the doctor two weeks later I had a big bump. A week later I had to start wearing a truss as my lower colon was pushing out of my stomach wall the size of a softball. Three months later when I had surgery, it was moving in to my testicles. Not fun! Now I am scared to lift anything heavy.

The 16" rotary table is still sitting on the ground seven years later.

Yes, been there, done that. Only sign (other than the original 'popping' feel when lifting, but no immediate pain) was the stabbing pain every time I sneezed unless I bent over far forward in advance of said sneeze.

Yes, I've had an inguinal with no bulge. The doctor caught it with the old "turn your head and cough" trick. You could feel it pop out a little then but only then.
The laparoscopic surgery to repair was a walk in the park. that was maybe 8-10 years ago.

Davinci robotic repair a few months ago. Outpatient surgery and completely recovered within a week, no heavy lifting for a month. And when I had the initial consult with the surgeon, he said "I could see that from across the room." As others have said, do not delay, have it looked at.

Alright Chief,
get that checked out right away. Had an Inguinal hernia repair last summer; not a problem at all. That possible groin tear can can get ugly pretty quick and I hear it can be most painful. Robotic repairs are a brezze except for those killer gas pains afterwards!! Haa:willy_nilly:
Good luck! Better get moving on this before the fall Covid chaos freeks out all the medical facilities

Get it fixed now. This is not a rattle in a machine that gets easier to fix the longer you ignore it. Small hernias are in and out, a month of less lifting- once they get all grown up you have months of recovery after surgery. It is a nasty mid-evil surgery.

The old body does not take very lightly even regular exertions very well. I like several others which I know are basically not able to do what we need to do physically anymore. I hope your situation can be resolved well.

mine has been very much so unresolved le being lower back pain and lately a rotator cuff situation. That was very tough. if I can no longer do what I eyed ten can not do my job any longer. Age is the largest factor. Good luck to you Mil…

Alright Chief,
get that checked out right away. Had an Inguinal hernia repair last summer; not a problem at all. That possible groin tear can can get ugly pretty quick and I hear it can be most painful. Robotic repairs are a brezze except for those killer gas pains afterwards!! Haa:willy_nilly:
Good luck! Better get moving on this before the fall Covid chaos freeks out all the medical facilities
I recently had robotic hernia surgery for a pretty large tear. Giant lump that I had to push back into place dozens of times throughout the day. As stated, surgery was a breeze but I did not expect the gas pains. Some of the worst pain I have ever experienced and I have a very high tolerance for pain.

Last edited:

Back