What's new
What's new

OT: Super crude forged knife on aliexpress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill D

Diamond
I could not post just the picture so I apologize for the link.
Super crude hand forged knife. Looks one short step up from stone age tools. Makes those guys in India casting truck parts from scrap look like real craftsmen using high tech.
The tool looks to big to be a truck spring as a starting piece.
BillD

Super crude hand forged knife. Looks one short step up from stone age tools. Makes those guys in India casting truck parts from scrap look like real craftsmen using high tech.
BillD

And I have a friend who goes to meets with a bunch of people who try to replicate bronze age implements. They think it's fun. So what ? Maybe they think your new Toyota is a soulless piece of robotic shit, but they don't go out of their way to sneer at it on the internet. What's your problem ?

It's a piece of garbage but it would be great as a movie prop if you were making horror films. Knives are an interesting topic as everyone wants to make them, and everyone sees them as an artistic expression, but in reality they are a very basic and limited tool in terms of what you can do with their design. The biggest knife masturbators, the Swiss Army knife people, proved long ago that the outer boundaries of knifemaking have been explored.

Here's a knife I made some years ago. It's a 1" band saw blade wrapped with electrical tape. I call the artwork "Genuine Prison Contra-ban". Fully functional, and works great for opening mail, etc. I plan on selling it on Ebay for $399 or more. Probably way more practical than the thing in the OP's post.

Yes I'm joking on the Ebay thing.

Attachments

• GPC knife.jpg
    GPC knife.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 49
BillD
I think it's that way on purpose. Those deep marks appear to be deliberate and there are those who eat up this sort of "hand forged" Chinese crap.

the Swiss Army knife people, proved long ago that the outer boundaries of knifemaking have been explored.

Mostly I don't get off on those, bulky and silly things but I grabbed a small one - one blade, a fingernail file and small scissors a few years ago. Goes in your pocket so easy you don't know it's there, I love that thing. It's really useful. Stupid airport took the first one away because of its lethal 1" blade, so I had to buy another. Recommended.

BillD

FFS, that's not crude because they didn't know what their doing, the makers are trying to achieve an aesthetic. Which they did. There will be the tatooed, bearded, millenial chefs who will be all over this.

Last edited:
I was in the USSR back when. The best kitchen knives they had were made from WWII Lend-Lease Studebaker truck springs. "The steel is better than anything Soviet-made."

jack vines

Here's a knife I made some years ago. It's a 1" band saw blade wrapped with electrical tape. I call the artwork "Genuine Prison Contra-ban". Fully functional, and works great for opening mail, etc. I plan on selling it on Ebay for $399 or more. Probably way more practical than the thing in the OP's post.

Yes I'm joking on the Ebay thing.
I think they call it a "shank" on the inside.

How many prison guards does it take to push a prisoner down a flight of steps? None. It was an accident. An ex coworker that did some time told me that one.

I think 'shiv' the correct term. I'll try to use it is a sentence - sometimes that helps.

"Louis, when you are finished giving the new smaller and weaker inmate, Robin, the Cincinnati Trombone, I suggest you use a makeshift knife, aka shiv, to disembowel him lest he inform the warden."

Mostly I don't get off on those, bulky and silly things but I grabbed a small one - one blade, a fingernail file and small scissors a few years ago. Goes in your pocket so easy you don't know it's there, I love that thing. It's really useful. Stupid airport took the first one away because of its lethal 1" blade, so I had to buy another. Recommended.
I've been carrying one of those in my pocket for over 40 years when I got one as a gift for being in a wedding. I've been through several of them, mostly to losing them. I keep a fingernail clippers on the same ring with it and sometimes it has been known to get caught on my car keys and goes flinging away. Also lost one to airport security. Got to thinking about what happens to all of the barrels of the confiscated knives and found them for sale on Ebay. You can buy the Victoronix ones for super cheap and you can buy different grades of them up to like brand new. Deeply discounted ones are the ones with advertising logos on them.

I've got a larger one that I used to take camping but haven't used it in decades not what we aren't wilderness tent camping anymore.

edit: I just took a look on Ebay and there are far fewer used swiss army knives than there were a few years ago and prices are up a lot. Must be the word finally got out that you can't bring knives on planes anymore.

Last edited:
Looks like it was forged from a Damascus billet
But since the guy's Big Blue went on the blink, he got lazy and just settled for a sharp edge.

After looking at the advertisement I tried to imagine the amount of bacteria that thing could collect in the nooks and crannies. Its a knife for wannabes and posers.

Ed.

After looking at the advertisement I tried to imagine the amount of bacteria that thing could collect in the nooks and crannies. I

Maybe they don't have them in your area yet, but I've been using this thing called a dish washer. Uses high pressure water and heat to clean and kill bacteria. You could look into it.

It's a knife for wannabes and posers.

Aren't they all ? Realistically speaking, head over to the nearest thrift store and pick up a perfectly serviceable carving knife for $1. There ya go, no more posing.

Maybe they don't have them in your area yet, but I've been using this thing called a dish washer. Uses high pressure water and heat to clean and kill bacteria. You could look into it.

Aren't they all ? Realistically speaking, head over to the nearest thrift store and pick up a perfectly serviceable carving knife for $1. There ya go, no more posing.
A knife should be wiped down and sanitized with bleach solution before each cutting job. That means after cutting each type of meat clean and sanitize it before chopping the vegetables. Not easy to do with that many cracks and crevices holding in the Salmonella.
Ever heard of sanitary welding? there are good reasons it is required in the food industry.
Bill D

A knife should be wiped down and sanitized with bleach solution before each cutting job. That means after cutting each type of meat clean and sanitize it before chopping the vegetables. Not easy to do with that many cracks and crevices holding in the Salmonella.

Yes, we should be afraid. Very afraid. In fact, I'm going to start carrying a small oxy-acetylene torch with me so that I can always sterilize my eating utensils, no matter where I go. Or maybe stop using knives and forks. And spoons ! omigod, spoons are veritable germ farms, especially soup spoons ! maybe better quit eating entirely, it's so dangerous.

Christ, the lengths you buffoons will go to to make up shit about a toy on alibaba. Don't you have anything worth doing in your life, grandma ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back