What's new
What's new

OT: tempering bedframe iron

drill it like stainless if in doubt. slow rpm and heavy hand.
Yes. This what I do with bedframe steel, but also with lots of black sulfur oil, using cobalt HSS drill bits from the local hardware store. Never needed carbide.

Note: This is a duplicate, because it looked like my first posting had been lost. It still looks lost as seen from the General forum. There is something funky with the bulletin board software here.

Last edited:
Real machinist's (practical ones) don't mess with "mystery metal".
Why not register over at the hobby forum ?
www.hobby-machinist.com
Real machinists/fabricators get the job done with the material on hand. Closest steel yard to me is 250 miles away, so sometimes it makes sense(cents) to work with mystery metal, even if it takes a little extra work. I've used lots of bedframe material, never had a problem cutting or drilling it, but don't remember ever trying to drill larger than 3/8".

Maybe I should setup a gofundme account so you can buy me better steel:cloud9:

A bit home shop harry. I need to drill a one inch hole in a bracket already welded up from bedframe mystry metal angle iron. If I heat it up to cherry red and allow to aircool will it be soft enough to drill with HSS? I have used bedframe iron before for non-critical applications. It seems to be like spring steel and somewhat hard to drill. This ct done tonight so no buying better iron. I may have to break out the boringhead and use carbide boring bars. I was able to get to 1/2" holes with HSS that now need to be sharpened.
Bill D
You should be able to put a 1" hole without any heat treat or any other size hole. The drill speed for a 1/2" hole high speed steel tools is 500 rpm. For a 1" hole 250 rpm. Bore the hole for better looking job.
Roger

1. what is "bedframe material"? you go looking for an old bed on the road side and cut it up?

2. why did this end up in the fabrication section? i wish they would not weaken the general forum, otherwise pm is going to end up like cnc zone (havent been there for years).

Simple process really:
Using your cutting torch, as soon as the spot is red, hit the blow lever.
With a nice hole in the angle, drive said stake into the ground next to your tent.
Attach rope thru hole.

That is about the only thing they are good for.

I've built many things with bed iron and grab any I find on the side of the road. I mostly use it for frame work for sculpture pedestals but have also used it for dolly frames or bases for things like grinders and such. If I need to put a hole in it, the plasma torch does it nicely and quickly. I've not had any issues with the welds either but some folks seem to have problems there.

I have used bed frame steel a few times for non-critical projects; like this beefed-up mailbox mount for mounting to a 4"×4" post. It cuts and drills fine most of the time. Welding is hit or miss. Some of it may be leaded or even mystery metal (not very well controlled alloying elements), which can cause welding issues.

8BcCWet.jpg

I have used bed frame steel a few times for non-critical projects; like this beefed-up mailbox mount for mounting to a 4"×4" post. It cuts and drills fine most of the time. Welding is hit or miss. Some of it may be leaded or even mystery metal (not very well controlled alloying elements), which can cause welding issues.

8BcCWet.jpg
Were you getting tungsten billets delivered by the post office?

Were you getting tungsten billets delivered by the post office?

No, I (twice!) tried just screwing a 2"x6" to the top of the post and the box to that, but the plow trucks around here in winter haul @ss down the road. When the snow is wet and heavy it hits pretty damn hard. Box got knocked off the post more than once, so I solved the problem once and for all. :D

If they knock that one off it will surprise the hell out of me. The post will almost certainly need to go with it.

I made my first storage racks from bedframe when I was around 10 yr old.....they were at one time crammed with Indian ,Harley,Norton,Triumph stuff.....sadly ,all thats left is rusty racks with childish welds ...stuff worth a million bucks all gone......a coupla years ago,I had a dream there was a complete Indian 101 Scout in pieces in the racks......3am ,couldnt resist anymore and went to look.....nope just car and truck parts.....the dream was so real ...and I have it again and again,but something is holding me back from that Indian....someday.

Last edited:

Back