What's new
What's new

OT - the future of work?

As I said before ,the net result is the unemployed etc will have much greater political power in democracies,no longer at the margin ,but centre stage as the proportion of the vote increases.....groups such as the Greens are already tapping into this voter bloc to increase their influence and power.Old timey workers parties like Democrats and Labour parties are seeing power swing from craft unions to social welfare groups.......And the demands for "living wage for all"..and higher taxes for the rich.

As I said before ,the net result is the unemployed etc will have much greater political power in democracies,no longer at the margin ,but centre stage as the proportion of the vote increases.....groups such as the Greens are already tapping into this voter bloc to increase their influence and power.Old timey workers parties like Democrats and Labour parties are seeing power swing from craft unions to social welfare groups.......And the demands for "living wage for all"..and higher taxes for the rich.

Good thing there's still the cash economy, hey? As long as you don't get too greedy anyway.

My long term GF's brother was a scrap dealer... I occasionally went to auctions with him. What a hoot that was.

PDW

I think solar cells have reason in the future. Just interesting... I wanna know how I can start with a few panels and expand it over time as I get money to afford expansion.

LMAO-ROFL!

No, I haven't been mind controlled by "that guy" either. :D Several European countries seem able to be productive while having gainful employment for many of their citizens. IMO we could do likewise if so many top people didn't behave like parasites.

Our system encourages such parasitism.

What ever happened to the idea of a 4 day, 32 hour work week?
As we became more efficient the idea was that there would more free time to enjoy life.
We started with 7 10 or 12s, Then 6 days (some said working on Sunday not allowed). Then 5 8s and overtime past 40.
Now the gig economy which for some is back to 7 10s and 12s. For many others 50 hour weeks are the break even point.
Progress?
Anyone work what is called the alternate work schedule in a union shop?
Bob

I worked with a company that did something similar - a 36 hour week. All hourly finished the workweek on Friday at noon. As management moat weeks, we had to stay until 2 or so for a production meeting after lunch. The theory was, and it worked, that most people would use Friday afternoon for personal business and absenteeism during the week would be reduced. If we needed OT, we either had people stay 1-2 hours in the evening M-Th, or for some jobs, Friday afternoons. All in all, it was a surprisingly progressive shop in some ways, especially for a unionized plant with an overwhelmingly immigrant workforce in NYC (Queens) in the late '80's.

I think solar cells have reason in the future. Just interesting... I wanna know how I can start with a few panels and expand it over time as I get money to afford expansion.

Set up a low voltage (such as 12v) battery bank. You can start with old car batteries that are still "live" but no longer have the cranking power they used to. As your setup expands you can add more batteries and cells and even series units to increase voltage.

If you are thinking of a household voltage setup even an "emergency generator" solar/battery setup can run several thousand dollars. The inverter needed to convert dc to ac adds a lot of cost.

Posted before I realized it was a spammer with a commercial link.

Determined spammer too......must have been an Electrolux salesman in another life........buuut...if you are of a mind to set up a self contained solar of say 5kw,then youd be spending something like $10 k....and this is without a fancy (read ultra trendy) Tesla battery,but using an old school battery.........because the old time Edison cell is a much better buy than a trendy battery,even if it is personally signed by Elon.

Automation is the future.

Yes, at this stage of technology development, not all professions can really be performed remotely. But, apparently, we are following this path. There are already experimental drone delivery services. There are already automated robotic welders. (This is just an example) Yes, there is still a lot of work left on the people. But, as it seems to me, this is only as long as someone does not invent ways to automate the remaining processes that would be comparable in price or cheaper than human labor. It seems to me that everything can be automated. With time. The only question is the price.

I'm actually in the planning stages of automating CEO's of big corporations. It operates like the old fashioned fortune teller machines except it only takes solid gold coins.

I figure I can also adapt the technology with sex robots to create an automated Congress. Just pop in a few gold coins, they bend over and you tell them how you want them to vote.

An interesting thing about the future of work is that is by no means predestined, despite what some authors write about "the inevitability" of large segments of the population being forced into becoming idle.

I see multiple futures as possible, including the one where AI and automation supplement workers rather than replace them. Under such a model I truly believe that we could have both productivity and individual prosperity but the major obstacle is the ruthless drive for quick profits that is the dominant culture in so many large corporations. Small companies have long been the engine of job creation and this will become even more important in the future. We can either create an environment that fosters small business or we can sustain the one that favors the large multinational corporations and speculative investment, but I don't think we can do both.

I see multiple futures as possible, including the one where AI and automation supplement workers rather than replace them.

Sure, if you can afford your upgrades. If not, you'll be obsolete, like a high-school dropout who never picked up any skills. For a long time already, if you have naturally poor vision, you've been expected to have that fixed. For most jobs you need to augment your legs with a car, and your mouth and ears with a cell phone. I think it will continue like this in small increments. Eventually it'll be like "What? You don't have a math coprocessor, memory augmentation, or brain-computer-interface? You're unemployable!"

I'm actually in the planning stages of automating CEO's of big corporations. It operates like the old fashioned fortune teller machines except it only takes solid gold coins.

I figure I can also adapt the technology with sex robots to create an automated Congress. Just pop in a few gold coins, they bend over and you tell them how you want them to vote.
I see your sarcasm and understand it. But given the fact that artificial intelligence is already in a rather deep stage of development, this may also become possible over time.
Especially with politicians. Although people don't want to admit it, they never made really good decisions. Another question is that this will not happen because there are already many opponents of automation and AI. But in any case, such significant progress is still far away. Some people still believe that man is the top of evolution ...

I see your sarcasm and understand it. But given the fact that artificial intelligence is already in a rather deep stage of development, this may also become possible over time.
Especially with politicians. Although people don't want to admit it, they never made really good decisions. Another question is that this will not happen because there are already many opponents of automation and AI. But in any case, such significant progress is still far away. Some people still believe that man is the top of evolution ...

Does your dance routine involve qty (1) "brass pole" ?

Back