What's new
What's new

OT... Thy last ditch effort for help unlocking my Facebook account.

Dashlane is a free Android app that acts as a password manager. Use one master password (or your fingerprint) to unlock it, and store your various logins and passwords inside it.

"Free Android app"

And how do you think the app builders are compensated for their work? While I do use some Android apps they are all open source and nothing critical like a password manager. I do not use "free" email and one of the commercial providers I use requires device specific passwords which THEY generate when you add a new one. You have a conventional password for account access, webmail, and administration and every device that uses an email client for automatic logons must have a unique password. If a device such as a cellphone or tablet is lost or stolen you log into your account and freeze access for that device. Even a desktop computer must have a unique password for use with email clients. Not perfect, but a hell of a lot better than one password on multiple devices.

When you have to pay for something the provider is usually held to a higher legal standard.

PS: A fingerprint in the digital world is nothing more than a sequence of numbers that can be spoofed. Many experts believe "biometric identifiers" are actually LESS secure than traditional usernames coupled with strong passwords. Passwords can be changed but if somebody gets a digital copy of a fingerprint scan you are screwed for life.

Oh man, you beat me to it. Why in the world would anyone want a Face Book account?

:popcorn:

Lol...

Ok you're not going to be of any help with recovering my account. I've already chalked it up to a loss cause.

Ain't been all that long ago some of you were locked on the outside looking in. I disagreed with that then and still do today, it was bullshit! Just like this is bullshit, just a different place.

:popcorn:

Brent

I remember when Facebook first became popular. I had this conversation with several friends and relatives.

THEM: I'm signing up for this great new site where I can chat with others about personal things, post family photos, etc.

ME: You mean you're going to put all this stuff online, post details of your life, send messages to friends and relatives and expect to keep any of it private?

Them: It's completely secure, I can control who sees my stuff and at what level.

Me: Good luck with that!

Years later as I hear the complaints about invasion of privacy and all the other problems the flies are having on the spider's web, all I can think is "People like me did try to warn you".

Gimme a break. I said it before... (in a nutshell) it's not facebook or instagram or pinterest or PM (whhaaa?!) that is the problem. It is people share more than they should then get pissed off when it gets tracked back to them. :rolleyes5:

Want your facebook "more private" --

check the privacy options about who sees your posts
don't add everyone to your friends list you have ever met
don't spread your dirty laundry on there about your ex and their mother/father/sister etc

it's not rocket science people, and it's not the devil either :toetap:
use some common sense...

Years later as I hear the complaints about invasion of privacy and all the other problems the flies are having on the spider's web, all I can think is "People like me did try to warn you".

Way way back I forbade anyone I knew from putting anything about me, or any pix I may have sent them, on Fauxbook. Now there's no way I could enforce that, but they were all left in no doubt as to how serious I was.

PDW

Gimme a break. I said it before... (in a nutshell) it's not facebook or instagram or pinterest or PM (whhaaa?!) that is the problem. It is people share more than they should then get pissed off when it gets tracked back to them. :rolleyes5:

Want your facebook "more private" --

check the privacy options about who sees your posts
don't add everyone to your friends list you have ever met
don't spread your dirty laundry on there about your ex and their mother/father/sister etc

it's not rocket science people, and it's not the devil either :toetap:
use some common sense...

Yep, that'll sure stop Fauxbook from selling all your data to some company for data mining and on-selling. Yes sir, that'll never happen.

Nor will they ever build or allow to be built an algorithm that scans all pix and automatically does facial recognition/matching. Nope, you can trust them not to do something like that.

OBTW I have a hardly used, freshly painted bridge available for sale, on special this week. Cash only, please.

PDW

Yep, that'll sure stop Fauxbook from selling all your data to some company for data mining and on-selling. Yes sir, that'll never happen.

Nor will they ever build or allow to be built an algorithm that scans all pix and automatically does facial recognition/matching. Nope, you can trust them not to do something like that.

OBTW I have a hardly used, freshly painted bridge available for sale, on special this week. Cash only, please.

PDW

the paranoia is strong with this one! :drink:

the paranoia is strong with this one! :drink:

What YOU call "paranoia" - out of ABYSMAL ignorance of the real-world environment on the backbone - is what kept those among us who have ACTUALLY been legally responsible for data breaches TF out of jail or the poorhouse.

We don't have to "make this shit up". We have had the actual industrial-grade server logs tracking it, in some cases "dominant carrier" comms providers.

Fast-forward to mundane "local" reality. One of my Wife's Sisters is a Win-serf. She arrives for a visit, the WiFi bandwidth used to vanish.

tcpdump -i, watch the traffic, spot where it is trying to go, off what port, Google that, confirm what infections her device is afflicted with.

Can She be made to believe there's a problem? Hell no. I did say "Winserf?"

No sweat. Hard-block her device's MAC address in the router, and she has to go off to the mall or Mickey-Dee to use the 'net.

The rest of the family? Android hand-helds, less aggressive infections. Those just get pushed-off to a "throttled" 1 Mbps service I've set up off the router for guests. No longer my problem, they are hag-ridden parasite hosts.

You would probably earn the same treatment if you were a visitor here.

Can't explain what folks do not want to know and will not research on their own initiative.

What YOU call "paranoia" - out of ABYSMAL ignorance of the real-world environment on the backbone - is what kept those among us who have ACTUALLY been legally responsible for data breaches TF out of jail or the poorhouse.

We don't have to "make this shit up". We have had the actual industrial-grade server logs tracking it, in some cases "dominant carrier" comms providers.

Fast-forward to mundane "local" reality. One of my Wife's Sisters is a Win-serf. She arrives for a visit, the WiFi bandwidth used to vanish.

tcpdump -i, watch the traffic, spot where it is trying to go, Google that, confirm what infections her device is afflicted with.

Can She be made to believe there's a problem? Hell no. I did say "Winserf?

No sweat. Hard-block her device's MAC address in the router, and she has to go off to the mall or Mickey-Dee to use the 'net.

The rest of the family? Android hand-helds, less aggressive infections. Those just get pushed-off to a "throttled" 1 Mbps service I've set up off the router for guests.

You would probably earn the same treatment if you were a visitor here.

Can't explain what folks do not want to know and will not research on their own initiative.

My point is (and I don't really wanna try since once someone "gets something in their head" it ain't coming out!) I am not proposing for anyone to sign up for facebook, or any other social media, but it is down right silly for the anti-facebook crowd on here to tell someone DON'T GET IT! STOP USING IT! IT WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE! :toetap:

Yardbird came with a question, and half of the responses are "good thing, you don't need facebook anyways!!" Well maybe he wants to have facebook. Maybe he likes communicating with his friends and family that live in other parts of the country/world without texting or calling them. Maybe he is perfectly fine (like myself) with the *risks* :rolleyes5: he takes having a social media presence.... If you guys don't want facebook, fine don't have it. But don't tell him it is the ruiner of worlds, especially considering you guys have never (probably) tried it, you just have the one horror story of someone you know that had their account hacked blah blah blah

Wake up. Read the funny papers for YOURSELF.

4 Reasons Why Facebook Is a Security and Privacy Nightmare

There are more. MANY more. One big shout-out, is that 5 BILLION was waaay too small a fine to even get them to pay attention!

You don't HAVE a point. Not a "defensible" one, anyway.

....don't tell him it is the ruiner of worlds, especially considering you guys have never (probably) tried it, you just have the one horror story of someone you know that had their account hacked blah blah blah

In case you missed it, the "hacks" run to the tens of millions at a go. And that's just the "big ones" that were CAUGHT and-also publicized. Many more are never. One, the other, or both.

In case you missed it, some among us have made data networks and their security a major part of our life work. My beat has included the Fortune 400, top down. "Zero'th" position US DoD, UK MoD, and a select few other national Governments and Defense Departments even above the world's largest banks and Corporations.

"ONE horror story"? You really think that? I should fire-up the AB5/S and drill your ass for the insertion of brains? Or what?

:D

"User community" - where you are focussed- were our STAFF's problems, ourselves, our friends and family, so "that, too" crossed our radar. Hard to avoid it, as much as we wanted to do.

Actual exchange:

John F., Cathay Pacific left-seater, "heavy" ATP (read "well paid". Very):

"Hey, Bill, you have a reputation as a Computer expert.."

Bill H. "Yes John?"

john F. "Well, my laptop has started doing.."

Bill H. "Running Windows?.."

John F. "Of course?"

Bill H. "Sorry. Can't help you, John. Computer Experts don't "DO" Windows.
What you need is a "Certified Microsoft something-or-other". A NON-expert.

Bloody EXPENSIVE "radar", too, a decent protocol analyzer costing about 12 large.

Or time, sweat, and tears. Just try it at the most basic level. Run "tcpdump -i" where "i" is the NIC in use (your WiFi or "wire" Network Interface Card or built-in equivalent).

If you do not know what you are looking at, nor how to set flags to aim it more usefully?

"man tcpdump" will get you started.

See also "log analyzers". Bring patience. Lots of it. Half a century of so of experience, data links for AN/FSQ-7, AN/GSA-51 clear through to yesterday afternoon won't hurt, either,

Then again .... SOMEBODY has to defend ignorance and idiocy, yah?

Carry on!

You are doing that part just fine!

Last edited:
For those who think their data will never be abused there was a news story not long ago about a suspect who was identified by DNA. Police obtained a DNA profile of a close relative of the suspect from one of the ancestry website companies. They then used that for a warrant to compel DNA from the suspect.

We're being tracked on a level Orwell could only have imagined. Many of the parking lots around here have gone to payment by phone app. The meter maids cruise the lot with a car equipped with a plate scanner. A wireless link to the main database confirms if the space was paid for and if not, they then check the uploaded data from the parking kiosk which identifies spaces by number. When using the kiosk a person enters the space number and then inserts payment by cash or credit card. Regardless of how you pay your plate number is collected.

The Massachusetts Turnpike now uses exclusively transponders linked to a payment account backed up by plate scanners at access points. Those who don't have a transponder get a bill in the mail with an added fee for processing.

In either case vehicle locations are being tracked on a daily basis, potentially added more data about the citizen/subjects.

And then there's you medical data, which is entered into a data system and shared far more widely than most people think.

Mike1974,

This is PM. When did an OT subject EVER not wander off the main subject?

I was one of never Facebookers, I gave my ole lady shit over it, I thought it was stupid, wanted nothing to do with it. Some of you folks that have never joined have no idea how much more of this kind of of content is out in this big world. This site is but a tiny tiny bit of it.

If I have a machining related question this site is hands down the first/best place to ask. I had no idea up till a couple years ago when I joined up that there is so much more of machinist related stuff out there, and just like here I enjoy seeing it. Antique machinery groups, several professional machinist groups, Buy and sell machines pages, welders groups, engineering groups. Cars, bikes, guns, hunting, just about anything technology or sport oriented has a group posting about their projects and talking about what they/we do.

There is also a lot of junk too, it's up to each of us to sift through and weed out what interests you. There is a lot of talented people doing amazing work that doesn't come here.

I've found high school teammates, classmates and good friends in Utah, Illinois, California, Alabama, Georgia, Alaska that I have caught up with through Facebook who I wouldn't have if it wasn't for it.

Long before I joined Facebook it always amazed me what a Google search of my name dug up, your stuff is already on the computer with or without Facebook.

Brent

Interestingly we did the same. We hinted that if we later discovered our wishes had been violated the offender would no longer be welcome here.

No point in putting family ties at risk. The funnier one are the spouses. High-level AT&T & HP Executives.

Come in with Comcast roaming creds, Big Corp VPN's - and a great deal more - then cannot grok why my upstream Comcast router can't be directly accessed.

The Comcast router is parked inside a polywood box. Covered with Copper roofing flashing and well grounded.

"Faraday Cage".... or some such really, really archaic technological term the CAT5 to my OWN router & firewall isn't at all bothered by....

I was one of never Facebookers, I gave my ole lady shit over it, I thought it was stupid, wanted nothing to do with it. Some of you folks that have never joined have no idea how much more of this kind of of content is out in this big world. This site is but a tiny tiny bit of it.

If I have a machining related question this site is hands down the first/best place to ask. I had no idea up till a couple years ago when I joined up that there is so much more of machinist related stuff out there, and just like here I enjoy seeing it. Antique machinery groups, several professional machinist groups, Buy and sell machines pages, welders groups, engineering groups. Cars, bikes, guns, hunting, just about anything technology or sport oriented has a group posting about their projects and talking about what they/we do.

There is also a lot of junk too, it's up to each of us to sift through and weed out what interests you. There is a lot of talented people doing amazing work that doesn't come here.

I've found high school teammates, classmates and good friends in Utah, Illinois, California, Alabama, Georgia, Alaska that I have caught up with through Facebook who I wouldn't have if it wasn't for it.

Long before I joined Facebook it always amazed me what a Google search of my name dug up, your stuff is already on the computer with or without Facebook.

Brent

Thank you Brent!! This what I was trying (I guess in a round about way) to get at. People think facebook is like opening the floodgates to their personal info. (hint: you don't have to give any info other than an email address, which could very well be your 'spam' account). This is prolly a mute point, but how many anti-facebookers order pizza online? You give your credit/debit card info AND your home address!! I am sure that will get a "million" response about those sites being encrypted and yada yada... Like I said earlier about getting something out of someone's head what they believe "aka" KNOW is **true**.

again, use facebook or not, but don't preach against it when you have never used it.

Regarding the OP's original question, I have nothing to offer. I can say a couple of things from my own historical and current experience:

1. I use a small notebook and write down every username/password I generate for any given site, and have generally the same couple of core words with add-on numbers, special characters, caps or not, etc. This has worked fairly well for me, except on those occasions where I generate a name/PW for a new site, in the middle of a transaction, and jot it down on a piece of scrap paper "for later"... I always have this notebook in my laptop bag that is with me at the office/lab or at home. I would NEVER store passwords in a list on the device to which they apply, or on any device connected to a network of any sort.

2. Our small server at work, where we have our website, email and file storage, is constantly under attack from a large number of foreign country-based IP addresses, A couple of hundred attempts to log in every day, if you look at the log history. The countries are mostly China and a handful of African countries, as well as Ukraine and some other eastern European entities. We also receive phishing emails on a frequent basis containing the "click here for the purchase documents" attachments. We have a decent firewall, and rules for blocking IP addresses that attempt to log in a few times unsuccessfully, which is a big help. But it's a constant battle.

Your data is only protected by your own diligence and paranoia.

again, use facebook or not, but don't preach against it when you have never used it.

"Again, drink out of public toilets or not, but don't preach against it when you have never done it."

I'll pass, thanks.

Paranoid, y'see. I'm good with that. "Takin' the piss" has a whole 'nuther meaning, actually.

Besides.. who wants to deal with the crowd, take a number, wait in line, all those Social Disease networkers lined up ahead of yah?

And then... JUST when yah get's so ADDICTED to the flavour you'd swear it was a fine craft beer?

Be kicked off the roster and "locked out" of the loo altogether? Can't even contribute to the "service", gotta wander the outside world, exiled outcast-like, painfully full of piss and s**t and nowhere to find relief.

Well... PM maybe?

yardbird,

I did some digging today to see if others have solved this problem which is apparently quite common. Some solved it easily while others have submitted multiple photo IDs and are still locked out.

Apparently Facebook has altered procedures in an attempt to weed out fake accounts. A variety of things can trigger it.

Having opened the account originally with personal information that is not correct. They are apparently comparing account info with known databases and if any discrepancy the algorithm decides that you are not you.

Changing devices used to login can trigger this. Apparently some users who went from Windows 7 to Windows 10 found themselves locked out.

Misbehavior of an app such as a filter can trigger it. Apparently some apps do things that make Facebook suspicious.

In your case I suspect the password change began it and when you skipped over steps in the verification process it aggravated things. Facebook is apparently waging an aggressive campaign to eliminate bots and other invalid accounts and ordinary users get caught up for various reasons. My advice is to make a list of anything different you've done recently just before the lockout as that might narrow solutions.

One thing you might have skipped over is a step where they apparently present a series of photos of friends which you must identify. Although this didn't work for all users it was enough to get many accounts unlocked.

From what I've read if you had any false or incorrect info when you opened the account you can kiss that account goodbye. Apparently not even submitting multiple government issued IDs will satisfy them.

HI, my name is Bob and I don't have a facebook account.......people think me strange,

About a year ago I told a co-worker that there was no photo of me on the net.
With $10 on the table he took this up in earnest.
First of course is the normal people and family search where he would dig up tons of financial and background info which I knew was out there.
Addresses lived at, my family tree, where my siblings went to grad school, ex-wives new husband and his company, estimated income by year, cars owned... tons of stuff each he would come to me with.
All that no surprise as my hat has not always been pure white.
I knew where he was going and that is going to a whole lot of pictures to go through and google face rec. is not going to help.

Then after 3 weeks on my desk is a picture of me and the wife at my nieces wedding in the far background of 30 people while throwing rice. It is in her husbands Facebook account.
Long enough ago that I don't even remember where that photo was taken and their kids are now in two digits old.
I had to pay up....you just can't hide.
I now know of two photos out there that I am in, both on that Facebook thing and have just given up trying to be anonymous.

Most users sort of love it as a tool to connect with people. Who really wants to be a hermit?
Maybe I should join but I have nothing interesting to put on my page.
Bob

Back