What's new
What's new

OT... Thy last ditch effort for help unlocking my Facebook account.

yardbird,

I did some digging today to see if others have solved this problem which is apparently quite common. Some solved it easily while others have submitted multiple photo IDs and are still locked out.

Apparently Facebook has altered procedures in an attempt to weed out fake accounts. A variety of things can trigger it.

Having opened the account originally with personal information that is not correct. They are apparently comparing account info with known databases and if any discrepancy the algorithm decides that you are not you.

Changing devices used to login can trigger this. Apparently some users who went from Windows 7 to Windows 10 found themselves locked out.

Misbehavior of an app such as a filter can trigger it. Apparently some apps do things that make Facebook suspicious.

In your case I suspect the password change began it and when you skipped over steps in the verification process it aggravated things. Facebook is apparently waging an aggressive campaign to eliminate bots and other invalid accounts and ordinary users get caught up for various reasons. My advice is to make a list of anything different you've done recently just before the lockout as that might narrow solutions.

One thing you might have skipped over is a step where they apparently present a series of photos of friends which you must identify. Although this didn't work for all users it was enough to get many accounts unlocked.

From what I've read if you had any false or incorrect info when you opened the account you can kiss that account goodbye. Apparently not even submitting multiple government issued IDs will satisfy them.

Thank you Scott! I appreciate it,

Did you by chance catch who or where to send an ID and how to get that ball rolling? It seemed most of the remedies to Facebook the issues called for me being logged in? Yes I used my real name, town, high school and a couple other things that I tried to undo. The things I wanted removed are gone from my page but sometimes I still see my name associated with them now and then. I don't believe its ever completely gone.

Actually now after reading your post I'm wondering if I'll ever get back in. The new account would have the same name same email, IP address, same device.

I initially when this happened told myself I'd start a new account under the name "Darryl lick" and this picture for the groups, I see people do it alot. All my friends in the old account are real people I'd talk to at the grocery store.

I always wondered why some of my friends have more then 1 account? I'm thinking some of them probably had something like this happen to them?

Brent

20190617_050806.jpg

yardbird,

I think this is the place.

Confirm Your Identity With Facebook | Facebook

Make sure to enter your email or mobile # at the bottom of the page.

Perfect! :cheers:

Its been a week or so since I tried logging in. I'm going to wait a few more days and try one more time from a different device, if no love I'll do this and see what happens. I swear I looked at all this stuff and I never saw this page.

I suppose it'll come down to a new account but I'd rather have mine back.

Thanks again!

Brent

HI, my name is Bob and I don't have a facebook account.......people think me strange,

About a year ago I told a co-worker that there was no photo of me on the net.
With $10 on the table he took this up in earnest.
First of course is the normal people and family search where he would dig up tons of financial and background info which I knew was out there.
Addresses lived at, my family tree, where my siblings went to grad school, ex-wives new husband and his company, estimated income by year, cars owned... tons of stuff each he would come to me with.
All that no surprise as my hat has not always been pure white.
I knew where he was going and that is going to a whole lot of pictures to go through and google face rec. is not going to help.

Then after 3 weeks on my desk is a picture of me and the wife at my nieces wedding in the far background of 30 people while throwing rice. It is in her husbands Facebook account.
Long enough ago that I don't even remember where that photo was taken and their kids are now in two digits old.
I had to pay up....you just can't hide.
I now know of two photos out there that I am in, both on that Facebook thing and have just given up trying to be anonymous.

Most users sort of love it as a tool to connect with people. Who really wants to be a hermit?
Maybe I should join but I have nothing interesting to put on my page.
Bob

Lol! I have no trouble believing that, As far as I can remember there are 3 pictures of me on my page, more probably floating around somewhere.

Does your business have a Facebook page? I don't think I've ever searched for a business and not found it. Regardless of the size I could see a business benefiting from a page. I see the guy making the gears from Wisconsin takes advantage of the exposure if nothing else. He does some fine work.

Brent

Edit: You should join if you want to try it. I'll bet you have interesting things to post.

Wake up. Read the funny papers for YOURSELF.

4 Reasons Why Facebook Is a Security and Privacy Nightmare

There are more. MANY more. One big shout-out, is that 5 BILLION was waaay too small a fine to even get them to pay attention!

You don't HAVE a point. Not a "defensible" one, anyway.

In case you missed it, the "hacks" run to the tens of millions at a go. And that's just the "big ones" that were CAUGHT and-also publicized. Many more are never. One, the other, or both.

In case you missed it, some among us have made data networks and their security a major part of our life work. My beat has included the Fortune 400, top down. "Zero'th" position US DoD, UK MoD, and a select few other national Governments and Defense Departments even above the world's largest banks and Corporations.

"ONE horror story"? You really think that? I should fire-up the AB5/S and drill your ass for the insertion of brains? Or what?

:D

"User community" - where you are focussed- were our STAFF's problems, ourselves, our friends and family, so "that, too" crossed our radar. Hard to avoid it, as much as we wanted to do.

Actual exchange:

Bloody EXPENSIVE "radar", too, a decent protocol analyzer costing about 12 large.

Or time, sweat, and tears. Just try it at the most basic level. Run "tcpdump -i" where "i" is the NIC in use (your WiFi or "wire" Network Interface Card or built-in equivalent).

If you do not know what you are looking at, nor how to set flags to aim it more usefully?

"man tcpdump" will get you started.

See also "log analyzers". Bring patience. Lots of it. Half a century of so of experience, data links for AN/FSQ-7, AN/GSA-51 clear through to yesterday afternoon won't hurt, either,

Then again .... SOMEBODY has to defend ignorance and idiocy, yah?

Carry on!

You are doing that part just fine!

Wireshark is good. I used to have a bunch of EE's and techs to look after that side of stuff.

OBTW Mike, I'm the one with a son pretty high up in internet security for the biggest ISP in Australia and also the one with the responsibility for keeping 25+ years of medical data restricted to the people authorised to see it.

What you regard as paranoia I regard as basic security precautions. By all means do as you say if you've nothing to lose.

If I needed to I'd run Fauxbook access on an isolated computer. But it has nothing that I need and a lot that I don't want.

PDW

My first email account years ago got screwed up, and I wound up calling reps throughout North America trying to fix it. Finally, one representative suggested just starting a new email account. The problem was then fixed within 5 minutes after I'd spent a week and many hours trying to save whatever was broken on the original account.

My first email account years ago got screwed up, and I wound up calling reps throughout North America trying to fix it. Finally, one representative suggested just starting a new email account. The problem was then fixed within 5 minutes after I'd spent a week and many hours trying to save whatever was broken on the original account.

It took 2 1/2 years to get a mere six-month refund, later another nine months, out of AT&T Global when they cancelled the existance of a former @ibm.net account on the wire. As requested.

But failed to cancel it as a billing in the accounting system.

Attempts to clear the billing were met with the response that nothing could be done - there was no such account. Yet the bills kept coming, non-existent notwithstanding. Irony? My Brother-in-Law was CFO, but only for AT&T, Asia!

Had to finally sic Amex onto hammering them off the back of a fraud report to even get their attention at all. Happy to get 15 months refund, as by that time, they had no records at all, prior.

Similar issues when C&P Telephone became Verizon on the billing for a landline ADSL service.

They had come out, determined the residence was on a long-loop adapter too damned far from the serving CO, and could not support the service, disconnected all pairs, yet started the billing for it, that day.

The disconnect left the dial-up to another firm useless, but it took several months to get THAT lot to cancel billing.

Then Verizon FioS cuts their own fiber for the nth time, keeps billing the absent service for six-months worth of unresponded-to outage reports.

Basically anybody in Telecoms that isn't me SUCKS! Even then - I'm takin' the fifth!

:)

Too many for me to quote...

Thermite, you edited your post after I gave it a like, eh whatthca gonna do? :smoking: Oh well life goes on...

No one addressed my comment about ordering pizza and plugging in your cc details (speaking in terms of privacy). I am really curious now, do 'chinist not eat pizza, or use doordash/grubhub/ubereats?? Inquiring minds want to know! :D

I am sure facebook probably has a higher ratio of data leaks or however you classify it, what about Wells Fargo, Chase Bank, Equifax?? Facebook only has what you share intentionally (either thru your own posts or friends posts)... Banks losing your data, well that sucks balls! ANd equifax, well you don't even have a choice there, if you have ever had credit, or a loan, they "know" you and have your data (at least a snapshot of it).

I know it might not look like it, but I am really not FOR facebook (I only log in once a week or so and rarely post anything), I just don't think it is the antichrist that alot of people here think it is. Your pc is hooked up to the internet, your "data" is out there in one form or another...

Too many for me to quote...

Thermite, you edited your post after I gave it a like, eh whatthca gonna do? :smoking: Oh well life goes on...
I edit stuff all the time.

Just use the "unlike" feature and retract it.

Edit time-window expires. Like or unlike work "forever", and even in closed threads.

Proved again that you have yer head up and locked in the superfluous and shallow understanding-NOT position .. or you'd have seen that icon and tried it out some time in the last five years since you joined here.

I edit stuff all the time.

Just use the "unlike" feature and retract it.

Edit time-window expires. Like or unlike work "forever", and even in closed threads.

Proved again that you have yer head up and locked in the superfluous and shallow understanding-NOT position .. or you'd have seen that icon and tried it out some time in the last five years since you joined here.

I know, I know nothing, hell we all know nothing next to you.

:bowdown:

Mike1974,

I'll address your comment about ordering a pizza.

When we do it's from a local shop that accepts cash on delivery. Another shop that I've bought slices from in person wants all orders placed on a website using a credit card. Although their food is good we won't order from them. On the rare occasion we want something from them one of us goes there and orders at the counter, waiting a few minutes in the store.

In the modern world it's virtually impossible to totally avoid information risk, but with care and a willingness to give up a little convenience it can be minimized. I'm speaking as one who had the same credit card replaced 3 times in a 2 year period due to fraud. Each time I had to wait about 10 days for the replacement card to arrive. After that I got a bit more careful about when and where I use it.

I have 1 active debit card linked to an online checking account and it is rarely used. The 1 issued automatically for a local checking account was never activated.

What some might view as paranoia is a direct result of being victimized in the past or learned from the experience of friends and relatives. If you have direct deposit and the payor makes a mistake and overpays they can freeze your entire account until it's corrected. Without a backup account bills can't be paid and your credit can be ruined.

The modern world has a lot of conveniences but also a lot of potential hazards and the financially wise make sure they have enough options.

Mike1974,

I'll address your comment about ordering a pizza.

When we do it's from a local shop that accepts cash on delivery. Another shop that I've bought slices from in person wants all orders placed on a website using a credit card. Although their food is good we won't order from them. On the rare occasion we want something from them one of us goes there and orders at the counter, waiting a few minutes in the store.

In the modern world it's virtually impossible to totally avoid information risk, but with care and a willingness to give up a little convenience it can be minimized. I'm speaking as one who had the same credit card replaced 3 times in a 2 year period due to fraud. Each time I had to wait about 10 days for the replacement card to arrive. After that I got a bit more careful about when and where I use it.

I have 1 active debit card linked to an online checking account and it is rarely used. The 1 issued automatically for a local checking account was never activated.

What some might view as paranoia is a direct result of being victimized in the past or learned from the experience of friends and relatives. If you have direct deposit and the payor makes a mistake and overpays they can freeze your entire account until it's corrected. Without a backup account bills can't be paid and your credit can be ruined.

The modern world has a lot of conveniences but also a lot of potential hazards and the financially wise make sure they have enough options.

Thanks for that, it seems the easiest thing to "bring things into perspective"...

As to having a cc replaced 3 times in 2 years, sounds like a bad deal of luck. I have only had one cc frauded, and one debit frauded in my lifetime (of having cards). Both times it was fairly easy to fix. Bank called me and said "were you in Hawaii recently?" LoL, nope, ok we are going to cancel your card (not account), new card in a few days, money refunded (was only $10-15 bucks at a fast food place), easy peasy.

I'm sure others have had opp experiences so that might be why I am "skewed" to my view of most of these things being "harmless"...

FYI, I think that is crazy about you ordering pizza! :eek:I order all kinds of crap online, pizza, food (in general), amazon, wal-mart, etc....

I found out I supposedly bought (3)3d printers in California. Live in Ohio, would not know how to turn them on. Checked credit report and found out I was late on $21,000. Cleared up no problem.

UPDATE!..... So get this

This is why I came here to ask about this off the wall OT problem. Here on the Practical Machinist site you just never know who is going to read your post.

A day or so after my last post in this thread I get a private message from a person I’d interacted with here on the site many times before but never realized worked for FB

He asked for a link to my account so he could look into it.

I waited about a week or so then tried to login again today. I again had to jump through all the hoops same as before but this time I got in. Woohoo!!

@Scott, I appreciate you taking the time to do some searching into this for me. If this didn't work my last try was going to be the link you put up. So thank you!

Oh btw...If anybody finds themselves in this predicament do yourself a favor and wait the 96 hours before trying to get back in. I also recommend setting up and using "two-factor authentication". And anything else that might help prove your identity.

So there you have it folks! Problem solved!

Thanks again to all, or well most.:D

Brent

Last edited:
Very informative series of posts and very welcome to me.
\
I have to jump through all the same hoops because I screwed up my login after signing up.

Ed.

My Dog has had an account for 5 years now.I shit you not.He has 113 friends.
Facebook is really on top of things,,ha,ha

Facebook doesn't care (mostly) what/who the account is for. I've seen people set up accounts for their pets before on purpose. They are not trying to game the system or whatever.

Back