What's new
What's new

OT-Top bucket list item.....secured. ParkTrain nut story

at san diego city collage back in the late 80's there was a dave h. that worked for sdg&e that was building a live steam locomotive [one of the ones that could pull cars with people i believe ] he had something to do with roar park and there steam train thing i remember dave working on the cylinder castings and the side plates to the frame but that was long ago i don't know what ever happen to dave or if he ever finished his train

I've reached out and have been in contact with the relatives of the man that started and ran Camp Baumann a children's day camp on Long Island. They said the think their Father bought the train from Charles Wood who started and ran Storytown in Lake George, NY. Supposedly it was only a few years old when it was purchased from Storytown. There may be family pictures of it back in the day, and possible even a video. They were suprised to see the pictures I sent them. They said the pictures brought back many happy memories. To me, the history and background story's related to these trains are a lot of fun to learn about.

Well, it would just be too boring if there weren't some challenges of acquisition on a typical bucket list item. So -after- the 3 cars were loaded onto my smaller-than-it-needed-to-be trailer, I learned they are a bit heavier than they look. And I found out (after a short test drive) that there was not enough tongue weight (swaying amazingly well at 35 MPH). Time for plan B. After several delays and miscommunication from the seller who said he could haul them on his larger trailer, I hired a very capable young guy with a larger trailer. And finally the cars landed safely here this past Saturday.

Ah.......No
This was an accident waiting to happen.
View attachment 330818

Piggy back
View attachment 330820

View attachment 330821

We picked off the top car by itself, then the whole trailer and 2 cars in one shot.
View attachment 330819

Smart move.. I wouldn't have driven like that either.. I believe that is the text book
definition of "Sketchy"..

I know its all strapped down hard, you can see that, but even on the bigger trailer.. It look sketchy..

Smart move.

A couple weeks back I came across this pic from a vintage calendar group, and recalled this thread. Just got around to checking and it does look the same train. I don't recall the details from the pic, but no date was mentioned. By the back end of the panel truck in the background guessing sometime in the 1960's.

303.jpg

dkmc, now that is a man sized hobby project. I'm a live steam/model engineering fan so I get it, but man, have you every signed for a major undertaking! Please keep us informed and take lots of photos!

Awesome stuff dk! Keep us posted on your rebuild progress.

I’ve always had a “thing” for HO-scale model trains, thus the full-basement, double-deck layout that I’ve been building since 2012.

wow, impressive. Have you a web site somewhere? would like to see more

Very cool thread. Please keep us posted.

FYI, there's a ride on railroad in Harper Ferry, WV called 'Joy Line Railroad'. Some of his trains look similar to yours.

And as for dating the calendar pic, that young lady's hips/thighs say 50's all day long....

Yes, that is an MTC G16 miniature train. That['s their "winged" logo above the coupler. I don't see a panel truck, you must have had to zoom in to "check out the details" to see it.....lol.

A couple weeks back I came across this pic from a vintage calendar group, and recalled this thread. Just got around to checking and it does look the same train. I don't recall the details from the pic, but no date was mentioned. By the back end of the panel truck in the background guessing sometime in the 1960's.

View attachment 337270

There's a steam loco similar to the 3' gauge one farther up the thread in a barn here in central Ohio. Telltale tracks extending a bit out into the barnyard was the tipoff. As I was leaving the site (after looking at a car trailer I didn't buy) that barn was open showing the locomotive and a few other cars tucked away. The apparently moved it out a bit from time to time. They have enough land to lay track, but I'm not sure if they have the gumption.

There were 4-5 barns on the property. Absolutely amazing variety of stuff in them. Experimental aircraft. '40's semi trucks. Foreign power small military vehicles. The usual cars of all descriptions. Plus Crosleys, tiny powerboats, motorcycles of every type, farm wagons and tractors, stationary engines, plus a Ferris wheel set up outside. The guy showing the for-sale items had the second-best gig in the world -- second only to being the actual owner.

Yes, that is an MTC G16 miniature train. That['s their "winged" logo above the coupler. I don't see a panel truck, you must have had to zoom in to "check out the details" to see it.....lol.

Kind of between her left knee and the telephone pole. You can just see the rear of the truck and the beginning of the rear wheel-well for the tire.

304.jpg

When looking for a pic of that style truck, by coincidence, I found this example which I think is the same style, though probably a different year. This is a 1946 Chevy:

305.jpg

I caught the truck, also thought it looked Chevy.
For quite some years, one of my construction company's work vehicles was a Dodge slant-6 version/ex Bell system panel truck similar style. Couldn't kill the drive train or chassis but eventually it became ever more difficult to keep the body attached. (Actually, i think we did finally give it up when a much younger brother borrowed it for a term and neglected the coolant during winter. Details from 40 years ago are fading and some of the players are dead). But it was a fun truck to drive in DC.

smt

Back