What's new
What's new

OT- Tour of Ed Pink's race engine shop--soon to be torn down to make a bus stop

My mother in law got notice they wanted to widen her road. Literally across the road from the Onterio airport in the barrio. They offered numerous properties in the county they had foreclosed on. All were in bad areas. but probbaly equal low value.
She held out and they bought her a brand new 3bedroom, two bath house in an old folks community in the next county over. Paid to move her etc. I think gave her 5-10,000 cash as well. Transfered her low tax assessment etc. etc.
We felt much safer for her. great deal all around.
I pulled all her Zinzco breakers at our last visit and the lamp shade from my wife's childhood room.
Bill D

For some reason that I don't remember, the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) terminal "at" San Francisco International Airport (SFO) wasn't built at the airport, but a couple of miles away.

Because they are stupid, but it's not a couple miles away. You do have to switch to an SFO-specific BART train either at Daly City or any of several stops earlier, then at the airport you go up an esscalator or the elevator to the little shuttle thing that drives all around the terminals and the rental car park. The shuttle thing is really a necessity in any large airport, terminals these days are spread all over, even Oakland (which is tiny) has a shuttle thing to the main line. No way could you run a fullsize train to all the terminal gates.

And for some reason, riding the shuttle between the BART terminal and SFO terminal required its own ticket.

Don't know about years ago but certainly not now. You just walk on and off. It's free, and also goes to the rental car lots.

Having had a couple of experiences with malfunctioning ticket machines at both ends of the shuttle, I gave up on the BART to SFO stuff.

Well, there aren't any now, so no worries. And I have not had a problem with BART ticket machines, in fact they usually have a person at the gates to help you if there's a problem. For many of us here ? Defiitely get the Old Fart's Package, it's 60% off.

BART is certainly not perfect but overall, it works okay.

It’s been 6 years since I last was in SF, but my primary memory of BART is how simple it is to get from the airport to downtown.

I think main BART criticism is that it is too simple and does’t go enough places.
1669335242664.png

It’s been 6 years since I last was in SF, but my primary memory of BART is how simple it is to get from the airport to downtown.

Thanks, that map shows it perfect. Green and blue lines don't go all the way to the airport, need to change to the yellow or red ones by Daly City. Just walk across the platform. Better to do it before Daly City, at that one you have to go down and up an escalator.

All the SF stops have escalators. And booths with people in case you have a problem.

"Yeah, both sides let it go now."

Huh. Guess it's better to get one back when republican blubbering shows up, instead of mentioning it to moderation. Your rules, not mine. let the wild rumpus start.

"Yeah, both sides let it go now."

Huh. Guess it's better to get one back when republican blubbering shows up, instead of mentioning it to moderation. Your rules, not mine. let the wild rumpus start.

Other side gets one it's only fair, as long as neither is crazy out of line. Report is even better, of course. Trying to prevent one or another comment here or there is about like herding cats around here, especially with the somewhat ambiguous rules from upper management.

Last edited:
Other side gets one it's only fair, as long as neither is crazy out of line. Report is even better, of course. Trying to prevent one or another comment here or there is about like herding cats around here, especially with the somewhat inconsistent rules from upper management.

There was at least one more very rude uncalled for comment from gregsy earlier in this thread. And this isn't the first time he has taken a decent thread and trashed it with his antics of bashing liberals. And I called him out on if a few months ago and the thread eventually got closed.

It appears to me that when right leaning members beat up on libs it fine as long as they don't do it too much but when a lib responds to them, they get banned. I'm proof of that.

And I noticed that the MFG area is a real quiet place now too.

There was at least one more very rude uncalled for comment from gregsy earlier in this thread. And this isn't the first time he has taken a decent thread and trashed it with his antics of bashing liberals. And I called him out on if a few months ago and the thread eventually got closed.

It appears to me that when right leaning members beat up on libs it fine as long as they don't do it too much but when a lib responds to them, they get banned. I'm proof of that.

And I noticed that the MFG area is a real quiet place now too.

Did you report the earlier one? If you see something inappropriate, use the button...

No I didn't report the first one. I was hoping that he'd go away.

Fat chance. I know he has gotten a couple warnings too...

As long as you guys can keep it at least medium civil, no biggie. Just don't want endless back and forth, y'know? Rather see none at all, but like Ox said before, nobody wants to have to babysit grown men.

The 'need' for mass transit is at the very core of liberalism. It's one of the cornerstones of their platform; it's an excellent way to control people and dictate how they live. Every major city that is diseased has multiple and extensive mass transit systems. The two go hand in hand.

Mass transit is not a need. A place to poop and pee - that's a need. Food. Water. Energy. Those are needs. Mass transit is the modern version of bread and circuses. It's the shit liberal elitists shovel at the minions to keep them down.

Years back, I took the San Francisco BART from the airport to downtown at the advice of a co-worker I later learned was a full-blown liberal. It was only $16 instead of $35 for a cab. Hallelujah! It also took 2 hours instead of 30 minutes and I had to dick with figuring out which train to take and just how and where to get the right tickets. When it finally got to my stop...I still had to walk up two flights of filthy stairs then down three blocks to my hotel - all while dragging my suitcase. Who wants to live like that?
By all means everyone in NYC, Chicago, LA and all major cities should own a minimum of a car each and drive them every time they need to go more than a block.

Have you ever driven in a major city? Can you imagine if you took everyone off of the public transit and put them in cars to add to the congestion? I drove to Chicago last weekend and with some bad weather in the area traffic was down somewhat but it was still heavy and I can't even imagine if you took everyone off of the El, Amtrak, the subway system and other public transportation and put them in cars with everyone else. But then I'm a Liberal or so I've been told.

EG, newtonsapple --

Thanks for the update; my experiences with the BART to SFO trip were right after its opening. Your more recent "smooth" experiences encourage my trying again.

Beyond that, I'll comment that BART was conceived as (and in fact is) an updated version of the old-fashion "interurban" train system. It's primary purpose is to move people from city to city within a region, not from neighborhood to neighborhood within a city. As such, user-friendliness of the system-to-system interchanges is vital to customer satisfaction. BART and the local transit agencies do reasonably well, but I'd still recommend that they take a good look at Paris RATP's interchanges between the RERs and Metro, which has been the best I've experienced.

As such, user-friendliness of the system-to-system interchanges is vital to customer satisfaction. BART and the local transit agencies do reasonably well,

Have to agree with you, then (ouch ! don't mean to be an ass) disagree. All the bay area rapid transit districts do an absolutely shit job, compared to what they should be doing. If the bay area went back to the transportation systems we had in 1875 things would be way better -- and the same commute times were faster then. Those people have their heads up their ass. 6' gauge, are you kidding me ? way to run up costs for absolutely no benefit. And the gas turbine single-ended ferries, parked halfway to hell. Those people are so stupid that a rutabaga would do a better job.

However, I guess a rutabaga is better than nothing. BART does work, just not as well as it should, for way more money than it should cost.

(btw, did you see the new, ten years in the making, 4 block subway finally opened ? Now the assist can't give me trouble ! we made it ! four whole blocks in the time China put in 10,000 miles of 250 mph trains ! way to go USA ! We numbah one ! Let's bring back manufacturing, then a toaster could take five years to get and cost $975.99 ! yippee !)

EG, newtonsapple --

Thanks for the update; my experiences with the BART to SFO trip were right after its opening. Your more recent "smooth" experiences encourage my trying again.

Beyond that, I'll comment that BART was conceived as (and in fact is) an updated version of the old-fashion "interurban" train system. It's primary purpose is to move people from city to city within a region, not from neighborhood to neighborhood within a city. As such, user-friendliness of the system-to-system interchanges is vital to customer satisfaction. BART and the local transit agencies do reasonably well, but I'd still recommend that they take a good look at Paris RATP's interchanges between the RERs and Metro, which has been the best I've experienced.

You are likely right. I think the complaints revolve around interchange to the limited muni system.

I did a bunch of short trips to Australia and New Zealand for a few years and I would always break things up a bit by taking an early flight into SF, taking Bart in to have lunch/dinner with friends and then Bart back to the airport for the evening flight out. So Bart was totally convenient to run into the city for 3-4 hours. I was often turning around within one day if things went well, so the way home was pure zombie mode, no stopping.

6' gauge, are you kidding me ? way to run up costs for absolutely no benefit.
It is not 6' gauge it is 5 foot gauge for a slightly better ride then standard 4' 8.5" with less side to side rocking. This is Russian/Indian gauge. I think even "modern' Russia knows more about trains and tracks then the Roman Empire did at it's height while laying roads for carts with 4' 8.5" wheel track.
The main reason it was used is so the diesel commuter trains could not share the tracks. They wanted there own sandbox to play in and no sharing.
Bill D

Back