What's new
What's new

OT-Unexpected Death of a Parent-Tips for Working Alone?

I didn't realize when I read the first post that this was a year ago, but still what I started to say applies:

It is never easy to lose a loved one - hard to imagine how hard it is to have it happen so unexpectedly. My prayers are with you.

And now that I know it has been a year - I know that anniversaries and special occasions will continue to be hard, for years to come. Still praying!

Please accept my condolences. It is extraordinary for someone that age and so active to be taken. I'll cut to the chase: 1) What kind of farming do you plan to do 2) do you plan on a diversified farming operation 3) how close are you to markets 4) I recommend natural (organic but noncertified) farming mixed with permaculture systems and selling produce at local farmers markets, restaurants and a CSA (community supported agriculture), grow tree fruit and berries and do all season production using greenhouses in winter. There is a huge demand for locally grown, naturally produced (no pesticides and gmo-free) fruit, vegetables, grain, honey, milk, cheese and many more food products. There is good money in it. $5-$10 per pound for spinach. There is also high demand for natural, gmo-free, hormone and antibiotic-free meat: beef, pork, goat, chicken, turkey. Good luck and I hope you are able to get into the swing of things soon. I tried vegetable market farming for a while then decided to spend all my time generating income from my machine shop.

Dad had a junk problem too, we've hauled off a 20yd and 30yd dumpster worth of crap. So have have mostly been doing it by hand, it's not too bad, but slow.

That wouldn't make a tiny dimple in what my grand father has hoarded. Worse still, it's spread all over two whole states.

His mind has really been slipping lately and he can't keep up with his complicated estate. It's only a matter of time before he forgets to pay property tax on some parcel and loses it (not like they really have a value, but still hate to give the government anything...).

It's unbelievable what one can accumulate in a life time. I bet he owns somewhere in the range of 500 tons of iron. Some of it is in the form of decent tractors and other equipment. But, the bulk of it was "saved" from a junk yard, and when he passes, it's going right back there...

Just lost my Step-father, and my Mom within the last few months. My condolences, and hope that you are comforted by the knowledge that others here have been through this and that their thoughts and prayers are with you.

My folks were 87, and Mom had bladder cancer and Jim had heart failure, so it wasn't a shock like it was for you. If they diagnose an abdominal aortic aneurysm early enough they can put a stent in. But when it dissects, not much they could have done.

I have a different view, centered on the fact that everyone dies eventually. That your Dad was a "hell of a guy" while he was here, and that you realized it, is really special. My Mom (and my step-Dad, for that matter) was extraordinary too. So, I figure I have no alternative but to try to enjoy the life she wanted for me and to be comforted by the fact that I had a great Mom. I have a religious view that I will be with Mom again, too, but everyone has there own point of view on that and I feel that its poor form (and probably doesn't have the intended effect) to "preach" when you are mourning. Suffice to say that this viewpoint helps and comforts me.

The fact that you had that short conversation with your Dad, and that you realize how special that was, is something I got joy out of hearing about. I think that there's an awful lot of people that lose someone unexpectedly and never have a chance to have the conversation. Treasure it.

Bumping this thread for myself more than anything.

Today is 5 years after Dads passing.

Interesting to see whats happened in 5 years, I finished engineering school. That wasn't fun. My grades were AWFUL, but its done. I accepted a position as a supervisor in the shop I interned at. In many ways a perfect job for me. Its a great plave to work, very stable. However I worked about 3400 hrs last year, and this year will be similar. Tired of always being exhausted.

Also its a very much production type job, lots of machining problems to solve, but very little engineering design. Being responsible for close to 30 guys in a big shop can be a handful. I walk around 20,000 steps a day.

Farm still isn't done, but currently sitting in a semi capable little shop that I've finished several major projects in. There are pictures of that in another thread

Didn't get the giant shop Dad and I wanted to build. But the pole barn I had built has been workable. Far from perfect, but a floor and roof is nice.

Wanted to start building another building this year, but family stuff has taken a hit into the finances so gotta save up for a bit before I can do it. But it'll happen one day. I need an overhead crane badly.

Got the farm house cleaned out, and livable. Its spartan and plain, but nice to spend a weekend out in the county or a few nights a week out here working on stuff in the shop after work.

House needs work, but with lumber prices the way they are, can't afford to do it right now. The house is 110-120 ish this year, so can probably go for a bit longer.

Was thinking about Dad alot today, and looking back at how I handled things. Learning to accept decisions that I made years ago, is interesting. I made the best decision I could with the info and knowledge at the time. But had I done things differently, would be in a very different position financially. Be glad when my sister is out of college, her school bill is alot.

Took about 3 years, but got Dads estate cleared up. If you dont have a will you need to make one now. I made a new "business" in my name, not making any money, but it atleast exists.

I happened to be off work this weekend. Which I think was good, spent the day working in the shop on a tractor Dad bought and a tractor I bought. Not the most productive day, but been a day of reflection and thinking.

Not a very superstitious person, but their was a rainbow out here today and it made me smile.

Sun has set, time to shower and have a nice drink after a hot semi productive day.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
4958ca0e06061401889a7ff0a37fbba1.jpg

In ten years, your grades won't mean anything. In 20 years, most employers want to know about your experience and can you manage the job. In 30 years, where have you been, get to work and fix everything!!!! Strictly my view of an engineering degree. I've spent 60% of my career fixing every bodies else wet dreams. Only 30% went to doing real design work in the field of work I do. The other 10% lost in time.

Matt, I still think about your dad once in a while and I'm glad i had the chance to meet him at Steve's scraping class. I know you dearly miss him just like I miss my dad when he passed 27 years ago. The memories are priceless. And I still miss my dad today! But I've never let it stop me from doing my best at work. It actually helps in ways.
That is a beautiful sunset. Another hot one tomorrow. And I'm on the road to my home office for going over procedures and policy for pre-audit for the companies API Q1 certification that will take place next month. Engineering is not all about design work! Take care, Ken.

So so sorry for your loss. I never got to say good bye to my dad. It' good that you two had that moment. You'll find there are many outlets that can help you, don't be afraid to ask.
My dad when I was barely 22 decided to take a giant chance on me. He started his own machine shop and hired me as his first employee. Me, a large clump of unmolded clay. I came to appreciate what a great patient, knowledgeable teacher was. We really bonded in his later years. We had a mutual respect for one another. He was diagnosed with lymphoma in 2020. Even through his treatments, he still came to work 3 1/2 days a week. Went into remission but then went downhill fast in 2021 and passed. I now have to end something we started 33 years ago. It is hard to go in there daily and not see him there.
I wish you well and hope your good memories can keep you going.

My young friend, you have done well, and are on your way, sorry you lost your dad, but you should be proud you have got through school and have not let it knock you down

Back