What's new
What's new

OT: warning GE fridges do not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill D

Diamond
We bought a ge fridge less then one year ago. Had to replace the water filter today. I had already bought several. They have a computer chip and after the fridge thinks they have been used enough it shuts down the water to the faucet and icemaker. Problem is three of four brand new factory sealed, made by ge, filters could not be linked to the fridge.
Filters cost 25-50 dollars each So +-$200 to get one filter that works. I will ask ge to fix or refund the fridge. It is unde rthe one year warranty so I want it logged in as. a failure.
AFAIK No other maker has chips in their filters. Similar to printer ink tanks that shut down when they have printed enough pages.
BilL D

We bought a ge fridge less then one year ago. Had to replace the water filter today. I had already bought several. They have a computer chip and after the fridge thinks they have been used enough it shuts down the water to the faucet and icemaker. Problem is three of four brand new factory sealed, made by ge, filters could not be linked to the fridge.
Filters cost 25-50 dollars each So +-$200 to get one filter that works. I will ask ge to fix or refund the fridge. It is unde rthe one year warranty so I want it logged in as. a failure.
AFAIK No other maker has chips in their filters. Similar to printer ink tanks that shut down when they have printed enough pages.
BilL D

That sucks, We've always had high end stuff until this last house, big fan of basic sub-zeros like the model 690 but anyway the place we have now was a rental and so I have a full suite of very not fancy GE everwhere, it's ugly, it's simple, it looks cheap but you know what? It works pretty darn well and I have been re-introduced to the term "appliance". Just do the job you are suppossed to do and STFU already.

Look for generic filter to fit GE. BTW GE is made in China now. I have a 3 yr old side by side GE that works well. No chip in the filter tho. I have never changed the filter. When the light comes on I do a reset and keep on. As in printers there should be a way to defeat the chip - google that. You could then install a generic filter behind the frig.

I would call the service tech to find out exactly what's going on. We have a year old GE refrigerator with the water filter. The chip keeps track of the time it's been installed and alerts us when it needs to be changed. Neither the water or the ice stops flowing if the filter isn't changed. If you don't change the filter it counts up the days since it should have been changed. The counter stops at 99 days, but the water and ice will continue to flow.

We often leave for periods between 2 weeks and 3 months. The counter doesn't recognize we aren't there and just keeps adding up the days. There have been times when we've been gone more than half the time between scheduled filter changes. We just leave the current one in place and have never had a problem with water or ice being shut off.

We had a mid-range Samsung fridge, digital displays, separate 'controls' for the veggie bins, etc etc. Compressor went out (under warranty), ok, whatever.... died again a few months later --- $800 to replace! :eek:

Replaced that fridge with a plain jane, no frills, no digital, no water/ice. Working good 4 years later, sorry think it's a Fridgedair?

The computer has ushered in all sorts of bad behavior. It's allowed companies to become more unethical than ever. Like those jackass Apple phones that will only allow a charge from an Apple cord.

GE? Sucks all over. I had a top line GE Cafe fridge, had to fix it several times. When it reached 5 years old, the inverter motor went out and the cost to replace it was more than buying a new fridge. Avoid any product that has an inverter, always.

I suspect your power is bad.

Check your wiring from panel to outlet.

The plug for the refrigerator should fit tightly in the receptacle.

You should also have a surge protector.

If you are subject to frequent power outages or rolling blackouts or even brown outs, install a shutdown relay with timer restart and set for 10 to fifteen minutes.

I suspect your power is bad.

Check your wiring from panel to outlet.

The plug for the refrigerator should fit tightly in the receptacle.

You should also have a surge protector.

If you are subject to frequent power outages or rolling blackouts or even brown outs, install a shutdown relay with timer restart and set for 10 to fifteen minutes.

Check if you've lost your neutral, very common problem.

Not knowing the layout....but can you bypass the water supply to filter so the board will always be "seeing" a clean filter? Put a common filter on the supply line.

I do not see why bad power would allow one filter to work and three others not to? As I understand it there is a flowmeter that measures water into the fridge. Once it has run so many gallons it shuts off the lights in the fridge to let you know there is a problem. After some more gallons it shuts down power to the water valves so no more faucet or icemaker flow.
That flow meter is how it knows how much water is used to fill the ice maker each time. I wondered about that since there is no float or level sensor.
Bill D

Doubtful if your fridge has an actual flowmeter. More common is for the computer to count cycles of something in the system.

Same with the MPG readout in a car or truck. The computer isn't measuring actual fuel flow, it's recording all the inputs from RPM, road speed, throttle position, time and calculating how much fuel was used.

The oil change meter does the same; number of cold starts, highway miles, ambient temperature, engine temperature and will suggest an oil change between 2,000 and 12,000 miles, depending on the algorithm total.

jack vines

The computer has ushered in all sorts of bad behavior. It's allowed companies to become more unethical than ever. Like those jackass Apple phones that will only allow a charge from an Apple cord.

GE? Sucks all over. I had a top line GE Cafe fridge, had to fix it several times. When it reached 5 years old, the inverter motor went out and the cost to replace it was more than buying a new fridge. Avoid any product that has an inverter, always.

Tell me which Apple phone you've got in your pocket that won't charge with a non Apple cable?

Because my iPhone 11 goes on an off brand cord every night when I go to sleep...

I prefer old school dumb appliances over the "smart" ones. I prefer not to have circuit boards in my washer, dryer, refrigerator or oven. That way if and when they break down they are usually a quick, cheap fix.

A friend of mine has gone thru a couple of LG fridges in the last year, so it's not only GE fridges that are bad.

Check reviews before buying, might save you from buying a badly designed or unreliable product

Advice: Do not buy an appliance with a display or internal computer and expect it to last 20 years.

My Electrolux refrigerator was under warranty and acting funny. The nice phone support lady asked me if I had rebooted the refrigerator, and then proceeded to give me instructions to do so. Her voice sounded just the the Samsung TV lady the day before.

Advice: Do not buy an appliance with a display or internal computer and expect it to last 20 years.

My Electrolux refrigerator was under warranty and acting funny. The nice phone support lady asked me if I had rebooted the refrigerator, and then proceeded to give me instructions to do so. Her voice sounded just the the Samsung TV lady the day before.

I don't understand the people that need to have the latest electronic gadget when the old one was perfectly functional. I didn't even get a smart phone till forced in to it because I needed it for internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back