What's new
What's new

OT: warning GE fridges do not work

Status
Not open for further replies.
On another forum I read about someone's kitchen faucet failing to re-boot correctly. The sensor/solenoid stopped operating, and apparently it won't work manually. The guy was actually trying to find a fitting to bypass the solenoid valve altogether, but the mfg. made the input and output water connections proprietary "so the valve couldn't be installed backwards". You know, for your safety. Poster said the part appeared to be on terminal backorder, due to chip availability. So he's got a faucet that won't work, and can't be bypassed non-destructively. I think he's ready for a garden hose.

I have a Fridgidaire. Replaced the filter twice since 2013. The only problem I've had was the solenoid for the ice maker got stuck once. I took it off and screwed with it till it free'd up. Been fine since (years). I forgot what we had before, but I think it was another Fridgidaire. We got the last one without an ice maker, since we had a dedicated under-counter icemaker. That one lasted from about from 2000 until we moved. Got jarred or something, didn't bother fixing it.

Get a Sub Zero or something with the compressor on top if you can swing it. I think it's kinda dumb to have the compressor and all the other hot stuff BELOW the cold stuff... convection and whatnot being how it is.

I have a 5 or 6 year old GE refrigerator. It has a light that comes on occasionally to remind you. Push the button and it resets and goes out. I bought some filters for it from Amazon to save a few bucks. The packaging even the print on the filter looked genuine. Water tasted like some kind of toxic chemical. Cut original GE filter open and the Amazon filter and it was a good fake, the box and the fit and finish looked perfect. Saw the glue inside the Amazon filter that I was tasting. I bought 3 from GE for about $150.00 and water tastes fine from the first glass.

Maybe the OP bought counterfeits by mistake like I did? Just looked at the counterfeit box and it says "America at work" next to a flag with "Proudly made in Eagan, Mn" underneath. If anyone wants to poison them selves I can sell them some real good looking filters as Amazon never replied to my claim that these were counterfeit.

Last edited:
Get a Sub Zero or something with the compressor on top if you can swing it. I think it's kinda dumb to have the compressor and all the other hot stuff BELOW the cold stuff... convection and whatnot being how it is.
With the popularity of Mini-split systems, I don't see why you couldn't put your fridge (and freezers) on one of them.

About 6 months ago we got a new Frigidaire, it would get cool but not cold, they sent a service guy who found it had about 1/4 of the freon or whatever whatever they call it these days, he put in some more and it has been fine since. What can you expect it is brand new.

About 6 months ago we got a new Frigidaire, it would get cool but not cold, they sent a service guy who found it had about 1/4 of the freon or whatever whatever they call it these days, he put in some more and it has been fine since. What can you expect it is brand new.

Amazing, the quality control in manufacturing these days, with some people it still hasn't soaked in. I had a friend doing the world's slowest restoration. The thing is he even hired the paint and body work out. For the record the project is probably going on 15 years. Anyway he had issues with fittings and fasteners. He often figured he ordered the wrong thing and would ask me for help. When I would tell him he had the right item it was just had badly out of spec threads, a burr was preventing installation, etc,etc., he then wanted to argue with me that I was crazy as that was a brand new part. He was "this came from Joe Schmo's Vintage Car parts, they are the best" all the guys with Corvettes by from them. I also had a go round with him when he was struggling with his Harbor Freight twist drill set. Half of them had the clearance in the wrong direction.

How do you think the refrigerators with the freezer on the bottom came into being?
Manufacturing mistake made in the Land Down Under, disguised by marketing as a convenience feature.

Wonder Woman bought one of those while I was fishing in Alaska, each time you opened the drawer the little arm that tells the ice maker to shut off would push a couple ice cubes off the back and they would go under the drawer and wait. One day when you were late to leave but wanted to grab a package of hamburger to thaw while you were gone, whoosh, out comes 3 big bags of ice cubes all over the kitchen floor. Convent is not what I called that POS

I had an LG side by side fridge with ice and water in the door. Bought new about 5 years ago. It died about a year ago. The linear compressors were faulty and would lock up and not run. They called it a "No Cooling Event" Kind of pisses me off right quick when a $2000 fridge only lasts 4 years and i have to throw out all my food. There's a class action lawsuit against LG for these fridges with Linear compressors for a 4 year stretch i think. Filed my suit about a year ago and still waiting to be reimbursed. I won't buy another LG thing ever in my lifetime.

GE Appliances is not even an American company any more. Its a subsidiary of Haier, a Chinese company.

Buy a Leibherr. The germans still know how to build quality.
Just expect to pay real money for it.
Its like the difference between Grizzly and Hardinge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back