What's new
What's new

OT- Watch Hands

The reason can be aesthetic. A watch reading 10:10 has a clean, symmetrical look. Also, the hands don't obscure the watchmaker insignia, which is usually located directly below 12 o'clock.

Another reason could be that happy watches sells better than unhappy watches (think of smileys :)

/Niels

Aesthtic is what I first thought but my neighbor thinks there is something significant about it like the first atomic test which turned out to be 5:29 or the first atomic bomb which turned out to be 8:15 am (local time). I emailed Timex but thought someone might know if there is a reason. Maybe its the time predicted to be the end of the world from some ancient Myan calender.

I was told it was the time Pres. Lincoln died, don't know it it is correct or not.

Jackmo

Just checked President Lincoln died at 7:22 which is what clocks used to be set to. Don't know when they changed it to 10:10.

Back when I was a kid it was the custom to show clocks and watches displaying the time that President Lincoln was shot.

Since then, it has been changed to commemorate another event, but I cannot remember which. What time of day was President Kennedy shot? I think that is the answer to the OP.

Orrin

It's left over from a Commie plot to have subversive messages printed on toilet paper?

Wipe out the Imperialists

Onward with the struggle

Prepare for the great leap forward

I'm a watchmaker- it's for symmetry and to keep them out of the name on the dial during photoshoots.

It's fun to watch the big companies promote a new watch with a computer rendering; looks absolutely real to all but the most discerning eye, except that the dude who does the rendering often puts the hour hand slightly before 10 for symmetry, which is of course wrong if it's 10 past.

Gee Forest, I would never have guessed you had marxist leanings. :D

Here is one for you then :D :D

poster1.jpg

I grew up in the retail jewelry business...I never heard about Lincoln, Pearl Harbor, atomic bombs or any other such explanation until the advent of the internet.

Some shops displayed watches and clocks at either 10:10 or 8:20, the choice depending on the location of the maker's name. I recall setting them at 9:13, which worked with all dial markings.

In all cases it was preferred, presumably because of aesthetics, to use a time that put the hour hand on the left side of the dial, and the minute hand on the right.

As to the date, I recall we just left it as it came from the factory - too much work to change some of them. Some shops used the date they opened, and one used his wedding anniversary - claimed that he never forgot the anniversary that way!

-=[ Grant ]=-

Take a look at the bunches of cheap wall-clocks from Wallmart or HomeDepot. Most (if not all) of them shows 10:10.
/Niels

If they are running, as most of the cheap watches I buy, they will be very near the actual time of the day on which I bought them.

If they are not very near that time, and are running, why should I buy a watch, or a clock, so obviously out of time. Either they are inaccurate, or the battery is near dead.

I don't think it is possible to buy a wind up watch, or a self winder, a mechanical watch, today, more's the shame.

Cheers,

George

I did get back a response from Timex customer service and the reason the set them to 10:09:36 on the digitals and "close" to 10:09:36 on the analougs is that is what the "designers" thought looked best. No other reason. I did notice on a few other sites that the time is set around 2:50:(35-40), same things as Timex just the minute and hour hands reversed. Oh well, so much for the end of the world prediction or......

Back