What's new
What's new

OT: Who Else Rides a Motorcycle?

I have a front wheel and brake assembly like that one.
That one's a Fontana, not original. They came with Oldani's. Fontana is a nice brake tho. Hang onto it, worth good money nowadays. Repops of the big ones go for like three grand, last I looked. Probably up to five now.

Actually, they give you more feel than a disk and work a little better, until they get hot. On a street bike I'd rather have one ... if I wuz allowed to have a street bike :)

That one's a Fontana, not original. They came with Oldani's. Fontana is a nice brake tho. Hang onto it, worth good money nowadays. Repops of the big ones go for like three grand, last I looked. Probably up to five now.

Actually, they give you more feel than a disk and work a little better, until they get hot. On a street bike I'd rather have one ... if I wuz allowed to have a street bike :)
I just got one for my Indian 4, someone in Australia is making them, really nice machine work, I think it uses Triumph shoes and the rest is purpose built to look similar to what came on the Indian though is is 2" larger in diameter and 1/2" wider .
IMG_7257.jpgIMG_7258 (1).jpgIMG_7259 (1).jpgIMG_7260 (1).jpgIMG_7261 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Yeah mine is a Fontana. New Old Stock with an Akront rim, Never even had a tire on it!

Ceriani 4LS
It's possible because they are really close but I don't think so. The original cerianis were always a golden color, while the fontanas are sort of a birdshit green. Nowadays the repros claim to be each other - the same place will sell the same thing as either one, depending on what you ask for. And as above, that bike didn't come with either one, it came with oldanis which are totally different.

But real cerianis were pretty rare, at least in the US and as compared with fontanas. You pretty much have to dig out color photos from when they were new to see, because when people do "restorations" they have a tendency to cheat like a mofo.

For instance,

fake.jpg

exhibited by a very well-known person in the "vintage bike" scene but mark brelsford's bullshit, I built the fucking thing. Chassis is real but that started life as a sportster motor. And he sure as hell knew it. Plus it's not a 750, it's 72 inches and burns alcohol :) Loudon-winning my ass.

So, anyway ... most likely moon's at least is fontana because they were actively imported into the US by a certain kosman fellow. I don't believe the cerianis ever were.

It's possible because they are really close but I don't think so. The original cerianis were always a golden color, while the fontanas are sort of a birdshit green. Nowadays the repros claim to be each other - the same place will sell the same thing as either one, depending on what you ask for. And as above, that bike didn't come with either one, it came with oldanis which are totally different.

But real cerianis were pretty rare, at least in the US and as compared with fontanas. You pretty much have to dig out color photos from when they were new to see, because when people do "restorations" they have a tendency to cheat like a mofo.

For instance,

View attachment 408186

exhibited by a very well-known person in the "vintage bike" scene but mark brelsford's bullshit, I built the fucking thing. Chassis is real but that started life as a sportster motor. And he sure as hell knew it. Plus it's not a 750, it's 72 inches and burns alcohol :) Loudon-winning my ass.

So, anyway ... most likely moon's at least is fontana because they were actively imported into the US by a certain kosman fellow. I don't believe the cerianis ever were.
Got mine from a guy that bought all of HDs road racing stuff after they quit. I paid like 50.00 for it. Planned on building a Gary Nixon Daytona 500 Triumph copy. never finished it.

This is what Sprint/Aermacchi roadracers came with, two leading shoe Oldanis. Still outbrake any lumbering BMW or Kwacker into any corner on a tight road and be long gone out the other side before they can get anywhere near the gas :)

Not sure why people love these honkin' big things that weigh as much as a fullgrown African elephant, a 350 is faster in the twisties and a lot more fun. In fact a 350 won daytona running against 750's one year.

SprintRR1.jpg

So speaking of braking ... was on the pit wall during practice for the Sears National the year Roberts ran away with it from last place. Turn 11 was a nasty not-tight-but-still-a-hairpin, right hander after a fast short straight. Here comes Romero, cool, oh shit ! his brakes failed ! call the ambulan ... no. He got on the brakes way too late, went way too deep, then got on them hard, fell forward to make the front wheel stick, back end came around viciously, when it was pointed more or less in the right direction he shoved his ass back and stuck the rear and accelerated violently out of the turn.

Fuck. Human beings can't do that. Even Roberts wasn't as fast through there as he was. He didn't do it in the race tho, just a few times in practice.

Last edited:
You guys and your dump trucks. On the girlfriend's bike ($400 cash, sigh)

a0208987_12333634.jpg

I'll pass you on the outside, outbrake you, and be halfway down the next straight before you can even get on the throttle ...

And that is why I'm not allowed :D

kustomizer probably has the right idea, just loaf along on something cool.
I always liked the Aermacchis racing in the early 70's - deceptively quick and went round bends like they were on rails.

****************** I was typing the following as EMGO posted ****************************

FWIW (and IIRC) the front brakes were Fontana 4 leading shoe - prior to discs, in the UK they were considered to be one of the very best brakes available.

Been riding for 46 years. Of that, 37 years was commuting on a bike 90 miles a day. During the commuting I saw about 15 riders killed. Most of the time it was from their own stupidity. Lane splitting way to fast and not considering how they are gonna stop when a car does something dumb.

Retired now but still ride most weekends, usually on old bikes.

I have at the moment about 30 bikes from a 1929 AJS up to a 2018 BMW. Most are British and Italian.

If I had a dollar for every time someone told me riding bikes was dangerous and I would probably end up dead, I would be very rich man by now.

Over 1 millions miles on bikes and I am still alive!

These are my current projects. Velocette is finally done and the Laverda is close. The Velocette had been in a house fire in the 1960's and most of the bike was put in the trash. I only received the motor, gearbox and frame.
Velo.JPGSFC1000.JPG

Last edited:
I've been riding since I pushed my first bike home at age 12 (a Yamaha YG-1 80cc)
At age 71 now, I ride my 23 year old Honda VFR800fi most rainless summer days.
Just today, I looked into ordering out a Honda Trail 125. The KLR600 is getting taller and heavier every time I take it out.
I had a 1998 VFR 800, first year of EFI. It was a true gem. I still regret selling it.
My favorite fast/longer distance traveling bike is now a BMW R1250R. It's not a real rocket compared to current liter superbikes, but has more than enough real world power for anything but racing. It remonds me a lot of the VFR is some ways, but more torque and incredible brakes with ABS.
I still have a bunch of KLR650's of course. I had a bunch of the left side outer gaskets made for the 1984 KL600 a couple of years ago, in case you need ever one. If it's a 1985/1986 the gasket is the same as the KLR650.
I've been riding for 51 years or so know, and it is more work than it used to be. The 4 wheelers in SoCal scare the ever-living heck out of me. A friend and I did a trip to the Black Hills a few years ago on our KLR's. Great fun, loved being out of the craziness, enjoyed all the nice people we met on the road.

Recently sold my modern 4 stroke dirt bike and have a 1979 Husqvarna restoration project underway (sort of). Been riding since around 1968 or so. Raced MX from about 1969 through 78 or 79.

Been riding for 46 years. Of that, 37 years was commuting on a bike 90 miles a day. During the commuting I saw about 15 riders killed. Most of the time it was from their own stupidity. Lane splitting way to fast and not considering how they are gonna stop when a car does something dumb.

Retired now but still ride most weekends, usually on old bikes.

I have at the moment about 30 bikes from a 1929 AJS up to a 2018 BMW. Most are British and Italian.

If I had a dollar for every time someone told me riding bikes was dangerous and I would probably end up dead, I would be very rich man by now.

Over 1 millions miles on bikes and I am still alive!

These are my current projects. Velocette is finally done and the Laverda is close. The Velocette had been in a house fire in the 1960's and most of the bike was put in the trash. I only received the motor, gearbox and frame.
View attachment 408200View attachment 408201
The Velocette brings back memories of being a kid working at a bike shop. The head mechanic had 2 Velocettes that I lusted over for a few summers. Never got to ride one.I did however get more than a few rides on a Norton Commando doing parts runs to other shops.

I started late in life, and mostly ride out in the country where there is less traffic. No commuting, but occasional runs to the 'hardware store'. Deer are still a concern.

'89 Honda Pacific Coast. Pearl white, and when I picked it up it had under 10k on it. (Over that now, of course.) I usually buy things that are hard to work on, and this just that.

Started on a Honda Helix scooter, after my first ride on a Honda Trail 70(?) about half a century earlier.

Attachments

• IMG_9757.PNG
    IMG_9757.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I've ridden since my dad bought a 1969 Honda 90. Went on up from there.
a1974x.jpg

'84 Honda Magna
6666.jpg

I've got 3 at the moment...2 Honda scooters and a '96 HD. it's either the HD or the Honda Forza scooter. HD loses every time. That scooter is the bomb...way easier to maneuver around town, no shifting...60 mpg...
choppers.jpg

This shot of my dad on that (I think) 750 Honda...chopper.jpgchopper rear shot.jpg

he built that sidecar. During the build, with only the frame and a wheel.... he had me sit on a board across the frame and we rode around town to see how it rode!!!!
After it seemed to track alright (had a screen door closer for a shock absorber)... he built the body out of 1/4" plywood, fiberglass mat and resin..

i started riding only 5 years ago. i bought a 1000cc fazer, just because i kept seeing it at the shopping mall with a price tag and i wondered if it would be faster than my cars. soon after that i got a sv 650, excuse being it would be easier to get the licence on it. then came the v-rod (just wanted to have the fattest tire in town).

im currently a bit obsessed with mirrors. personally i would take most bikes off the road because you cant see the traffic behind you. on the harley the prototype was easy. on the fazer its quite complex. the contraption has to move a bit in two planes, otherwise you never get it right. still musing over how to actually make the addapter. best to cast it from some resin but thats a lot of work, especially because the two are inverted.

if you have any ideas on this, please share.

1694405867772.jpeg

1694405914911.jpeg

1694405949704.jpeg

im currently a bit obsessed with mirrors.

if you have any ideas on this, please share.
One of the biggies (Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki ?) just started putting the mirrors on the fork legs. Supposedly works better, you can steal their intellectual property and try it :D

Seriously, they patented that. What a crock.

I've never had anything bigger than 2", good for legality and checking your teeth for a blob of spinach. If you go faster than everyone else no need for a mirror. And if you're not fast enough, they'll put tire marks on your leathers to let you know.

My first motorcycle and dirt bike used for playing in the Huron national forest was a two stroke Harley with a 125cc motor.
Rigid rear, sprung seat, worthless front suspension, 3 speed trans, mag shot so I ran it off a 6 volt lantern battery.
I rode the shit out of that thing, could not get enough. I was hooked.
Dad's old bike when he got a Bultaco Matador. That interesting to jump on, shifter on the wrong side.
Would have been about 1964 when I started. Any guesses as to the model and nickname of this one-lung Harley?
Do not have this super fast now stuff. However I do have the original Ninja. It was the first one shipped into Michigan.
While I like both I have preferred dirt riding to street riding or racing. I find it more fun.
Have many times had to go off-road on my street bikes due to a clueless auto driver.
Jump the curb, take the ditch, run down the field in the middle of I-75 at speed. Here is where dirt skills have saved me.

Started with a Honda XL75 in high school. Brother still has it, still runs 40 yrs later. Then a CB 650C in college. Quit when I had my first kid for about 20 yrs, but got back with an ’81 Goldwing about 15 yrs ago, then an ’02 Goldwing about 10 yrs ago. No real close calls, but many where I saw someone trying to kill me early enough to just require mild evasive action.

Back