What's new
What's new

OT: Who Else Rides a Motorcycle?

Speaking of evasive maneuvers....
If you ride much you will crash or fall.
Not a matter of if, just a matter of when.
The trick is to learn "how to crash gracefully".
Some do not like them but a "skid-lid" has saved my life more than once.
I'll ride in shorts and tennis shoes but always,always with a helmet. Mom drilled this into my head and thank her soul for that.
My college roommate called motorcycles "Two wheeled coffins". I like that. :D
Live to ride and ride to live.

Last edited:
We all love our bikes but what is the absolute worse you have had or ridden?
Talking bad handling and suspension, crazy powerband.
The bike that just wants to kill you out of the gate.
For me this would be my TM-400s. Just bad no matter swing arm extensions, 2 or 4 pound flywheel weights, or different pipes.
What have you had that could not be fixed or tamed?

So many of us ride and that is good. We do not say much about the bad rides.

Last edited:
And don't try to be towed on a bike unless you know what you're doing.

My brother went to the Knebworth music festival in his Yamaha FS1E (50cc) with my buddy on his Yamaha DT175, both fully loaded with tents camping gear etc.

So leaving the festival my brothers Fizzy goes about 5 miles and holes the piston. So at the side of the road they come up the grand scheme of my buddy towing my brother back home. Only 110 miles.

So they proceed, using some very inadequate heavy string that's ok if they start slowly, and as long as my buddy doesn't accelerate too fast or my brother doesn't brake hard it lasts. But easier said then done as the journey progresses the string gets shorter and shorter, at the end it was about 6' long.

At one point maybe 2-3 am in the morning they get stopped by PC plod.
"Allo Allo, what do we have ere!"
So they explain the situation of the disabled motorcycle.
PC Plod asks
"So where are you coming from?"
"Knebworth"
"Where are you going?"
"Southampton"
The wheels in PC plods brain slowly turn
"Get going, I never saw you, you were never here, this is so unsafe I want nothing to do with it!"

8 hour journey to get back.

You guys and your dump trucks. On the girlfriend's bike ($400 cash, sigh)

a0208987_12333634.jpg

I'll pass you on the outside, outbrake you, and be halfway down the next straight before you can even get on the throttle ...

And that is why I'm not allowed :D

kustomizer probably has the right idea, just loaf along on something cool.
Yeah, yeah... you'd "outbrake" me as that 19th century drum brake failed to do much stopping. :D

How's that seat feel after 18 hours? I can scrape the pegs for about 18 hours before I decide I'm ready to stop for the day.

How many times do you have to stop for repairs between Reno and Seattle? It was just another day ride for me, only stopping for meals and gas and a quick detour to Reedsport to say hi to a friend. :cool:

We all love our bikes but what is the absolute worse you have had or ridden?
Talking bad handling and suspension, crazy powerband.
The bike that just wants to kill you out of the gate.
For me this would be my TM-400s. Just bad no matter swing arm extensions, 2 or 4 pound flywheel weights, or different pipes.
What have you had that could not be fixed or tamed?

So many of us ride and that is good. We do not say much about the bad rides.
1969 Kawasaki 500 triple with expansion chanbers and ported as a teenager, bad handling, no weight in front, and way too fast. Many accidents (not with cars) later, that bike convinced me to get a new BMW R60/5 at 18.

I rode Dirt Bikes since shortly after I could walk and on for 30+ yrs. Don't ride anymore but here's some video of my Son and his buddies. He's at 2:54 in the video.

Keep In mind I never said they were the sharpest tools In the shed.

Ever notice that motorcycles and machinists seem to be like Peanut butter and Jelly.
On a Venn Diagram of people involved in manufacturing, how many didn't start off with some other related hobby that nudged (forced?) them in that direction: cars, motorcycles, boats, guns?

I rode Dirt Bikes since shortly after I could walk and on for 30+ yrs. Don't ride anymore but here's some video of my Son and his buddies. He's at 2:54 in the video.
Ever ride with a superstar or legend.?
We have a hill here. Wooped out and deep sand.
So the guy looks at it and runs. Front wheel in the air all way up and he just came down and said "so easy".
I am am like puck me and and I have many decades on this climb. Wrecked some sleds. Turned downed so bikes before top.
Trees, rocks , mud, sand. No slow down.
How many can do or have tried on a street bike?
Yes my Ninja has seen firetrails two up and ORV one up.
Riding is the so best. ... There is also sleds. The snow things.
Bob

Last edited:
Grandad Norton and I are growing old together. 31 years and over 100,000 miles so far.
06 Norton SC R+P MS .jpg
Although my heart forever belongs to Britains race bred singles, the Velo and the Goldie, which carried me through my first 200,000 miles the big rotary suits mature Clive just fine.

After the singles and 50,000 mile dalliances with a BSA A65 and Triumph T150V Trident came half a million miles on BMW twins and K100RS fours. Eventually putting up with BMW factory arrogance attempting to cover up non-existent handling, inadequate brakes and hopeless suspension was getting a bit old. Not to mention excessive servicing requirements.

So when BMW refused to let me try a K1 before buying I had a serious huff and bummed a go on Nortons Commander demo bike.

Like coming home after a lifetime in inhospitable foreign climes. Worlds best fairing. Properly useful mirrors, well balanced handling and a flat, seemingly infinite, torque curve giving the effortless midrange punch that makes long distances easy. OK the brakes and forks were still crap. Yamaha XJ900 components but such were sortable so Clive became a happy rotarian. FJ1200 four piston callipers on brackets so small they looked factory pretty much sorted the brakes and a Krauser conversion home brewed over a frantic weekend of fibreglassing replaced the standard fixed "too small for Clive" panniers. Servicing was once again simple. Drain and replace three oils, top up the main oil tank, change two plugs and air filters then back on the road. An hour tops. Book says it's prudent to inspect the, fully enclosed, drive chain after 100,000 miles. I could live with that.

85,000 miles later Nortons came out with the factory Krauser equipped version. Copycats! So along came Commander no 2. Which I still have. Albeit up graded to his Supreme specification by Richard Negus after the factory shut down. More modern running gear and a wider F1 Norton swing arm means it can take radial tyres. Not a simple, or cheap, job but finally the big rotary had boots and suspension to match its engine performance.

Even after all these years still the best long distance fast tourer of all. Serene and smooth 80 - 90 mph cruise on the inevitable motorway legs with just a whisper of wind noise behind the screen and a gentle tenor hum from the exhaust. On the more interesting stuff the flat torque curve and effortless mid range punch makes it easy to run with the sports bike fraternity unless they explore levels of commitment that are frankly silly on a public road and speeds guaranteed to loose your licence for years.

Why Grandad Norton. Blame the official, unofficial kid sister for an exasperated complaint that "Grandad bikes shouldn't be so fast." After discovering that "Baby", her GS1100F certainly no slouch in the hands of the girl who put the agg, the res and the sive into aggressive riding, had to work hard to keep up and required seriously illegal speeds to remove the big grey shadow of my first Commander from her mirrors.

To keep Grandad Norton company in the garage my 65 th birthday me-to-me present 3 years back was a Yamaha GTS 1000A.

01 GTS LH Side MS.jpg

I'd lost one years ago to an "I'm sorry I didn't see you" after 50,000 miles during which I learned to appreciate its considerable stability and militant indifference to road surface changes. Very much a truck drivers bike. Lean on the bars hard and it will do exactly what you ask. But don't expect any feedback! Which all came in very handy when a sudden temperature change turned the last 5 miles home into a skating rink. Following a bus doing a 4 wheel drift round a roundabout at 10 miles an hour is hard on the nerves!

Clive

Last edited:
I figure I might as well trot these out. The Norton and Velo were great fun, but hard to ride in the city, and I had to sell them to finance other projects. The Harley is a total repop that I just wanted to build. Its a great rider. The 1931 Brough, I just finished, I've only had it for 40 + years. I had to basically machine a whole new engine, but thats another story. I am having trouble downloading , seems really slow.

Attachments

• IMG_0434 2.JPG
    IMG_0434 2.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • Scan_20170317_120357.jpg
    Scan_20170317_120357.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Scan.jpeg
    7.9 MB · Views: 4
  • 1972 Norton.jpg
    1972 Norton.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Scan.jpeg
    7.9 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Ever ride with a superstar or legend.?
We have a hill here. Wooped out and deep sand.
So the guy looks at it and runs. Front wheel in the air all way up and he just came down and said "so easy".
I am am like puck me and and I have many decades on this climb. Wrecked some sleds. Turned downed so bikes before top.
Trees, rocks , mud, sand. No slow down.
How many can do or have tried on a street bike?
Yes my Ninja has seen firetrails two up and ORV one up.
Riding is the so best. ... There is also sleds. The snow things.
Bob
Nope, But the Sleds bring back some memories. Rode bikes forever and a riding buddy and I bought our first sleds in 98. Two Brand new Ski Doo SummitX's. We rode bikes for so many years we thought it would be no big deal. Wrong! First day we didn't know what to think. Like kids trying to learn how to ride a bicycle without training wheels. Didn't take long before we were tearing up the trails. But different machines for sure.

It seems like there's a common theme of fatalities on motorcycles: cars pulling out in front of the rider.

That's a big reason I avoid traffic, I head off from the house to the country and mountain roads...so my biggest risk riding is probably running off a curve or animal strike, not another car.

When I do see a car on a side road, I always assume they are going to pull out in front of me.

So what do you do? First scrub off some speed, for every 10 mph less you're going, your stopping distance is cut in half!

Always use the front brake to scrub the speed, and keep your fingers over the lever as you pass by the car/intersection. Covering the brake saves almost a full second's reaction time.

Position the bike in the farthest-lane possible from the car...create distance.

Watch the car's front tire. Not the driver, not the hood, but the front tire...it will move first.

If the car's front tire moves, you have to be prepared to make a quick stop, applying the brakes to maximum just short of locking up the wheels. The front brake should be the majority (if not the only) breaking force you use and depend on.

You have to practice maximum quick stops, so when needed you can do it without going down.

You can stop a motorcycle as-fast or faster than you can countersteer and get into a lean to swerve. Swerving requires racer skills to execute, and it does not reduce impact energy, so a quick stop is almost always a rider's best defense from impending collision.

When stopping, don't look at the car or object you're trying to avoid, look at the clear section of pavement you want to stop at.

By being practiced at quick stops, even with a worst-case-scenario where you can't completely stop, you should be able to tee-bone something slow enough to survive, say 5-15mph.

Also, and this is a no-brainer, remember that about 40% of motorcycle-riding fatalities involve alcohol use by the rider.

Stay safe out there, and enjoy the ride.

ToolCat
In my 8 mile commute through town I can't think of a single intersection where the opposite direction traffic is allowed to make a left turn in front of me while I have a green light. They are only allowed to turn left with a green arrow which means I'm stopped on red. Now that you have me thinking about it, that must be why I've never even had a close call on my route.

Just this week on the news a dash cam of a new licensed drivers (P plate ) car crashing into a stopped motorcycle from behind .........distracted with a phone for sure.

Back